Heyas, as the title suggests, I'm a new guitar player!

So far I can play some pretty simple song intros (mostly metal, though I'm looking to expand my horizons and pick up some jazz/blues/country/others) such as Walk, Master of Puppets, and stuff like that.

I know a few chords and one variation of the C Major scale...

That's about it. Skillful huh? :P

Now, I'm practicing constantly, almost every day though most days I just pick up me acoustic and play some intros a few times, strum some random chord patters or just mess around.

I do plan on getting into a more serious practice routine soon, where I make chord proggression exercises and practice scales and songs soon, but for now I'm just screwin' around.

So what this thread is about, picking a guitar!

I recently got a job, and plan on buying my first electrical guitar.

Now, i know nothing of electrical guitars, except that I like certain body shapes more than others. All I can say is that I plan on playing mostly Metal, I do want to learn some blues, lighter rock stuff, and some other stuff. I would like to play distorted chords sometimes, but I want to be able play clean solos (when I learn em :P).

So as for bodies, I was thinking about something like a Les Paul, I read somewhere that PRS was good, and I know gibson is hugely expensive. I really like all guitar bodies, except Teles (not sure why, just don't), those ones that look like a les paul but are double cut, and anything B.C. Rich or a warrior.

So I could use some serious help here xD. I'm willing to drop about 350 $ tops on the guitar, and around 250 $ on an amp, but the amp is a completely different story (I also have no idea what to get).

Thanks in advance
eh, PRS are way more than Gibsons.

I'd try to find something used for 350$ because that isn't really much for a new guitar. If it's new it'll probably be junk.

Don't get epiphones, they seem all cool and sound alright but later on..... You'll be sorry. Trust me I know.

As for an amp.

I'd get a fender amp, try to get something tubes but if you can't, you should get a tech 51 I think it's called.

They're little amps with a bunch of different sounds, they're really good. You can get one around the price you want to. I'd go with that one.

I'll come back later with pictures and stuff, I promise
well if you want a prs, you can go with something off the SE line, they're really solid guitars. but those are 500.......... 350? you might as well buy a strat. your not getting much else for that cheap
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
you could get a PRS singlecut SE for a little more than $350.
would be an awesome starter guitar.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
What about that one $300 ibanez with emg designed pickups? (ill come back with a link) As for an amp if you can't get a tube try a roland cube 15.
Guitar-Epi Les Paul studio or Vintage Modified Strat by Squier. Lots more guitars in this range, but that is a good one. Anything by BC Rich in this range is generally bad. PRS SE starts at around $400 or so. Everything else by them is $1500+

Amp-Epi Valve special combo or a Vox AD15VT. Epi is a tube, so great sound, but tube replacement is an issue. Vox is an Solid-State, but sounds good. not quite as good as tubes, but without the tube replacement and maintenence.
my friend got an epiphone studio les paul for around 300 i think. it plays nice and it sounds good. before i got a stack, i had a marshall combo and those are real nice too. thats just what i think though
:stickpoke thats pretty much it
Quote by CrushedCan
How much more you say? :P Also, it's the Les Paul looking one?

yeah its the les paul looking one, but thinner so not as heavy.
an extra 100 dollars on top of what you budgeted.
worth the extra though imo

http://prsguitars.com/sesinglecut/index.html
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I think you should get this http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-Affinity-Strat-HSS-with-Bullet-150-DSP-Amp?full_sku=512576%2e024 , most people start out on a guitar like this one, including me...but my strat had three single coils instead of a humbucker and two singles...it's that combo of the humbucker and two single coils that you want, it will be perfect for someone that wants to play a wide spectrum of genres like you, plus it's dirt cheap and you wont have to shell out the extra cash for an amp, unless you want to get a better one, but that one should be adequate to start out on.
Quote by david_highland
I think you should get this http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-Affinity-Strat-HSS-with-Bullet-150-DSP-Amp?full_sku=512576%2e024 , most people start out on a guitar like this one, including me...but my strat had three single coils instead of a humbucker and two singles...it's that combo of the humbucker and two single coils that you want, it will be perfect for someone that wants to play a wide spectrum of genres like you, plus it's dirt cheap and you wont have to shell out the extra cash for and amp, unless you want to get a better one, but that one should be adequate to start out on.

NOOOOOOOOOO

1. He wants to Play Metal
2. Starter Packs are the biggest rip off ever.

Ill suggest an Ibanez RG2EX1 and a Vox AD15VT-XL.
Quote by FRDesign
NOOOOOOOOOO

1. He wants to Play Metal
2. Starter Packs are the biggest rip off ever.

Ill suggest an Ibanez RG2EX1 and a Vox AD15VT-XL.

The only way they're a rip off is if you don't know how to make adjustments to it, and I'll admit that the amps suck in starter packs but I have never played a begginer guitar that couldn't be made a million times better just by tweaking it a little. however, what you suggested isn't bad either, Ibanez blows squire as well as some other companies completely out of the water. He also wanted versitilty though, and I don't think the RG is at all versitile, but my artcore http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAWD82LTD (that's not the exact model I have, but close) is absolutely the most versitile guitar I have ever come across, that thing'll play neo-classical shred, to delta blues.
i heard the XL's have crappy cleans?

if not it'd be awesome if he wants to play metal

or the AD, i can get stuff along the lines of megadeth and metallica EASY on it

and the PRS SE singlecut would be amazing for what he wants and the singlecut look and all, so yeah TS, save up another 200 for that guitar
Quote by david_highland
The only way they're a rip off is if you don't know how to make adjustments to it, and I'll admit that the amps suck in starter packs but I have never played a begginer guitar that couldn't be made a million times better just by tweaking it a little. however, what you suggested isn't bad either, Ibanez blows squire as well as some other companies completely out of the water. He also wanted versitilty though, and I don't think the RG is at all versitile, but my artcore http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAWD82LTD (that's not the exact model I have, but close) is absolutely the most versitile guitar I have ever come across, that thing'll play neo-classical shred, to delta blues.

Its made of Basswood, you can play Blues, Metal, and Classic Rock Easily, its like a Warmer Alder.

Lots of Shredders use it.
So it's either the first Ibanez suggested (RG2EX1) or the PRS. I'm kinda leaning towards the PRS, but I'll have to go to a shop and try 'em out or something.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll get one of thsoe fender tubes too!
^^this guy kinda knows what he's talking about.

get something like an Epiphone Les paul. they'll do metal okay.

and either a Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix. they will both give decent tone from not too much empty wallets.

btw, PRS + Fender Tube will empty up ur wallet. PRS cheapest one is probably the single cut standard, which is like $500 ish? (oh its in the budget.) and a fender tube is like $350 for a Pro Jr., $450 for a Blues Jr. (i recommend), and $200 ish for a champ... i didn't like the champ... or the pro jr. but pro jr. was okay. but u can't get distortion. Fenders can't reach metal territory.

and when u go to ur store, don't ask a guy to recommend u a guitar/amp. never. if he does, just nod, and come back here and tell us what he told u.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Sep 14, 2007,
Quote by mygibsonrocks
my friend got an epiphone studio les paul for around 300 i think. it plays nice and it sounds good. before i got a stack, i had a marshall combo and those are real nice too. thats just what i think though

disregard everything he said.
LP studios are for poor people.
My suggestion is keep working for 2 months andthen come back with some more monies
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Honestly, I'd check out the EPI VJ. People say it can only do classic rock, but I can get close to metal without any pedals. With a good pedal to push it, I'm sure you could do metal easier than any Fender Tube amp. But, maybe you want more tweakability, then I'd get a modeler like the Cube or Valvetronix mentioned.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
get a schecter damien 6 which is 300 and a marchall MG15. should cost a total of 420 bux plus tax
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
In your price range ($350) stay away from trems (whammy bars.) Most of them are cheap crap and you'll never be able to keep the guitar in tune. I would advise a simple, single or double cut solid body flat top hard tail (no tremelo) guitar. I would recommend humbucking pickups (like a Gibson) for metal instead of single coil pickups (like a Stratocaster.)
For the amp I recommend something simple, like the Epi mentioned above. If getting all the neat effects will make you want to play guitar more the Cubes are good. Just don't get carried away with the toys and neglect to learn the basics. Playing electric guitar is a lot different than playing acoustic. Enjoy.
Quote by kool98769
disregard everything he said.
LP studios are for poor people.
My suggestion is keep working for 2 months andthen come back with some more monies
+1

Not only are they for poor people, but both the Epi Studio and even the Gibson Studio, are just flat-out bad guitars. They both sound like a buggered-up SG, and so far the only one I've come across that was even worth looking at twice was an Epi limited edition Studio with a Floyd Rose, and that was only because since it was a limited run instrument, they'd clearly taken a bit more care over it. The other Epi ones I've played have been utterly terrible, and the Gibson ones I've played have barely been any better.

If you want a Les Paul type guitar, the very least you should aim for is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, made within the last year. Even then, you're better off saving up a bit more and getting the Custom, or a better-than-average Agile.
get a starter jit a fender one like how i did and like it comes with amp, pick, lesson book and cord!
....................... .................. ................