I have an RR3, I put the EMG 81/85 combo in it w/ the 18 volt mod, but something doesnt sound right. The lower strings sound really good, but the high notes are seriously lacking tone, it feels more like the bass of the notes are coming through and the treble part isnt (does that make sense?). Anyway, I'm thinking it might be my amp (a crappy Fender 15 watt DSP), though I think it might also be cause I wired it wrong (though everything seems fine) can anyone confirm thats its my amp thats ****ting on the sound?

this is how I wired it
might be an impedance problem... when ur output impedance is high and ur input impedance on ur amp or any pedals is low, it causes tha tproblem. impedance of a high note is rather higher than the low notes. if u get what im saying. does it sound okay if it's 9 volt?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
might be an impedance problem... when ur output impedance is high and ur input impedance on ur amp or any pedals is low, it causes tha tproblem. impedance of a high note is rather higher than the low notes. if u get what im saying. does it sound okay if it's 9 volt?

nah it sounded worse when it was 9v. Also I forgot to mention that I have the pickups as close as I can to the strings w/o scraping them. I have a Metal Muff pedal and I just replaced the battery in that and the guitar also so that cant be the problem (incase you were thinking of it). I get tons of feedback from my guitar/amp whenever the volume gets too high, but only when I use the pedal, if I run the amp distortion I dont get any feedback but it sounds muddy.
Last edited by Metalocity at Sep 14, 2007,
i don't know bout this one man. i can't help u with EMGs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Metalocity
nah it sounded worse when it was 9v. Also I forgot to mention that I have the pickups as close as I can to the strings w/o scraping them. I have a Metal Muff pedal and I just replaced the battery in that and the guitar also so that cant be the problem (incase you were thinking of it). I get tons of feedback from my guitar/amp whenever the volume gets too high, but only when I use the pedal, if I run the amp distortion I dont get any feedback but it sounds muddy.

1 - You don't show a connection from the white wire that feeds the output jack, to the lower terminal of the tone pot. Do you only have volume controls. (this is okay) Are you using the original pots. (not great, but no big problem.) Did you forget to disconnect the tone cap? (huge problem.)

2 - Having the pickups too close to the strings is a recipe for mud. Try lowering them.

3 - If you think the amp is the problem, just try it through a decent amp.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
it sounds a lot like the tone pot just being turned down to me...are you sure you connected it up the right way?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
ah ok, I was thinking extra battery life, but I know if it's in series it means more voltage. Yah what they said. Put the pups down!, and the amp thing. I'm not going to repeat everything they said lol.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
1 - You don't show a connection from the white wire that feeds the output jack, to the lower terminal of the tone pot. Do you only have volume controls. (this is okay) Are you using the original pots. (not great, but no big problem.) Did you forget to disconnect the tone cap? (huge problem.)

2 - Having the pickups too close to the strings is a recipe for mud. Try lowering them.

3 - If you think the amp is the problem, just try it through a decent amp.

Good luck,
SYK

I'll make the changes to the white wiring. And I'm using the pots that came with the EMG's, which are 25k I believe. What do you mean by disconnecting the tone cap? (sorry I'm still fairly new at this)

2- When I lower them it sounds worse
3- I have to find someone w/ a decent amp first
crap, I just look at the diagram I posted, so I take the capacitor that connects the tone to the volume and solder it to the top of the tone pot?
K guys thanks for all your help! All I had to do was disconnect the cap from the volume My guitar sounds 1000x better now
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

emgs need to be close to the strings.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
i have the exact same problem its all muddy and there no crunch i just lowered them its still the same sound god this is bull****
what do you mean by disconnect the capacitor > ?

i did it exactly as in the schematic everything works perfectly but the tone is not that crunchy

ive tryed moving the pups , i used teh capacitor that came with the set . so idk.
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard
Limited edition Schecter omen 7
Custom RR V with emgs 81/85,24 frets and floyd.

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
airslashfury this thread is from 2007 and other than where cobraopts posted it hasn't been posted since 2007. Please don't bump threads that 2 years old. If you have a wiring problem check out the Ultimate Guitar Wiring Thread. There's a link to it in my sig.
JESUS CHRIST

you jump faster to criticize and complain than to help .

please think i through before you say anything .
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
thanks kind sir
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
airslashfury I wasn't being a prick. Most of the regulars would've told you the same thing. We don't like people bumping threads that have been dead for 2 years. The wiring experts that post here in the GB&C check the wiring thread and try to help the guys that need it. You're more likely to get the help you need by posting in the Ultimate Guitar Wiring Thread. I was trying to help you by directing you to where your question will be answered. You need chill dude. Even the mods will tell you not to bump threads that are 2 years old.

EDIT: Thanks Rebel, The Only EMG thread can help him too.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jun 6, 2009,
Great... let's play dead thread volleyball.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...