Id like to know a good blues guitar thats around 200 to 300 dollars and an amp thats probley 200 to 300 dollars aswell and if need wut kind of footpedals would i need because im thinking of getting into the blues style of playing and the classical style of playing but mainly blues.

So please put suggestiosn up.

I like BB King alot and Eric Claptons Spanish guitar solo and stuff like that so id like suggestions to help me out
they just lowered the epiphone dot deluxe at guitar center, its now 300. and I would say an epiphone valve junior would be around that price too. you would need a distortion pedal if you want distortion though..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
don't go cheap. that's my suggestion. spend $400+ on guitar, and $400+ on amp.

i'd recommend a strat, or a sheraton for guitar
and crate palomino v16, fender pro jr, or a fender blues jr for ur amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
get this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=511276
if not that, make sure you get a maple fretboard one. And despite what everyone says, a squier isnt that bad for starting.
also, get this amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480512
that amp will handle all your blues until you start doing gigs and stuff.
That strat should hold you over for a year or two, when u'll have a better grasp for what you want, and then hopefully, you'll have more money to buy a nice guitar and stuff.
Remember, nice guitar+bad amp<nice amp+bad guitar
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^it will handle blues even after u start giggin'.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
not based on personal experience, but I read somewhere that Epiphone alleycats were good blues guitars and even somewhat versitile... pretty sharp lookin too IMO
There isn't really one particular guitar for blues, but the following will all do the job well, A Strat, a LP, or if you want a mellower sound, a hollowbody. Personally, I'd go for a Mexican Strat. Those are pretty good, especially if you know how to look around.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Just make sure you get an all-tube amp. The guitar doesn't matter as much.
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
A used Standard Strat(around $250), Epiphone Valve Jr half-stack($250) and a Blues Driver pedal($79) would be a great place to start. Or you could save a little more and get the Fender Blues Junior($450) instead of the Epi.
Guitar is not that critical for blues, I've even seen blues players using Flying V's. Strats are the most popular, and I've seen plenty Squier strats that were good, I have one and love it. Les Pauls work, SG, Telecaster, Hollow body like the Gibson ES335, Johnny Winter is a dedicated blues player and has always used Gibson Firebirds and Erlewine Lazers (headless) and I've seen blues players using just about everything else you can think of except outlandish looking "pointy" guitars designed specifically to appeal to the metal crowd. Just get a guitar you are comfortable with and sounds good.

Amp...go all tube no doubt. Solid state just doesn't do it, especially at higher volume levels. The higher you crank a tube amp the better it sounds, the higher you crank a solid state amp, the worse it sounds. They clip at higher volume (very bad) instead of getting tube compression and smooth distortion. The most common amps I've seen with blues players are vintage Fenders, think $$$$ but that's what they are usually playing. BB King was using a Lab Series 2x12 combo when I went to his birthday bash concert last year in Indianola Miss. Everyone else was playing older fenders, except one guy who was using a Peavey. The Peavey Classic 30 would be well worth looking at, or the Classic 50. Both are great all around amps. For blues, high gain amps like Marshall probably won't be advisable. My personal favorites are Fender Twin Reverb and Super Reverb. I have a Super Reverb now, 1973 model, it's great, I'll never let it get away from me. If anyone ever steals it, I'm going looking for them with my shotgun...

A pedal like a tube screamer might be worth looking into. Note, that is NOT a distortion pedal, it's an overdrive pedal. Adds a bit of gain, and some sustain but not actual distortion.

Just don't skimp on the amp, I doubt if you will find a really good amp for $300, unless you get lucky and find a tube amp at a pawn shop. A used 60 watt Traynor all tube 1x12 combo is sitting in a local pawn shop right now for $400, I see Peaveys for $250-300 now and then, and missed a Peavey Classic 50 a few years back for $200, but you're usually looking at more than that. Go for 30 watts minimum, that will handle practice and any clubs but the really big ones.

And don't listen to all the hype, I can get a good sound out of any all tube amp, no matter what brand. As long as it's an all tube, preferably no master volume, I can get a good sound out of it. I prefer Fenders and Peaveys, tried and proven and reliable, but in a pinch any tube amp will do the trick.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
BB uses solid states. You might also want to look into the Roland JC series amps for ultra clean tones. On the tube side, a Valve Jr. head and small cab works well and is a very simple setup.
Quote by Paleo Pete
Guitar is not that critical for blues, I've even seen blues players using Flying V's. Strats are the most popular, and I've seen plenty Squier strats that were good, I have one and love it. Les Pauls work, SG, Telecaster, Hollow body like the Gibson ES335, Johnny Winter is a dedicated blues player and has always used Gibson Firebirds and Erlewine Lazers (headless) and I've seen blues players using just about everything else you can think of except outlandish looking "pointy" guitars designed specifically to appeal to the metal crowd. Just get a guitar you are comfortable with and sounds good.

Amp...go all tube no doubt. Solid state just doesn't do it, especially at higher volume levels. The higher you crank a tube amp the better it sounds, the higher you crank a solid state amp, the worse it sounds. They clip at higher volume (very bad) instead of getting tube compression and smooth distortion. The most common amps I've seen with blues players are vintage Fenders, think $$$$ but that's what they are usually playing. BB King was using a Lab Series 2x12 combo when I went to his birthday bash concert last year in Indianola Miss. Everyone else was playing older fenders, except one guy who was using a Peavey. The Peavey Classic 30 would be well worth looking at, or the Classic 50. Both are great all around amps. For blues, high gain amps like Marshall probably won't be advisable. My personal favorites are Fender Twin Reverb and Super Reverb. I have a Super Reverb now, 1973 model, it's great, I'll never let it get away from me. If anyone ever steals it, I'm going looking for them with my shotgun...

A pedal like a tube screamer might be worth looking into. Note, that is NOT a distortion pedal, it's an overdrive pedal. Adds a bit of gain, and some sustain but not actual distortion.

Just don't skimp on the amp, I doubt if you will find a really good amp for $300, unless you get lucky and find a tube amp at a pawn shop. A used 60 watt Traynor all tube 1x12 combo is sitting in a local pawn shop right now for $400, I see Peaveys for $250-300 now and then, and missed a Peavey Classic 50 a few years back for $200, but you're usually looking at more than that. Go for 30 watts minimum, that will handle practice and any clubs but the really big ones.

And don't listen to all the hype, I can get a good sound out of any all tube amp, no matter what brand. As long as it's an all tube, preferably no master volume, I can get a good sound out of it. I prefer Fenders and Peaveys, tried and proven and reliable, but in a pinch any tube amp will do the trick.

I read that post with a mixture of admiration and bewilderment. First of all, I wouldn't call Marshalls high gain, on the contrary, many blues rock players have used a slight overdriven tone, Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, etc.

Good on you for pointing out the differences between OD and distortion, too many people get confused between the two. Also, kudos for saying that it's not the guitar that counts, but the player. B.B. King could play an Ibanez RG91203103921939821 for all I care, if he still plays with his heart and his soul, that's all that really counts
I'm guessing you like a mellower blues sound (BB King, Calpton, like you said), so you can't go wrong with a an epiphone dot or similar guitar. However, a strat should work fine for what you want, and you'll get enough diversity of tone out of it to do other styles if you want. Mexican strats are an excellent value for the money, I would get one of those.
an Ibanez Artcore guitar will run you about that price. A Fender blues junior amp or Epiphone valve junior will cost within your range aswell. As far as a pedal goes you'll want to find a used Ibanez TS-808 Tubescreamer for about 100 dollars.
How about a Dot Studio, and spend the rest on an amp?

In guitar terms, you're fine with anything with a decent neck pickup that's not a Strat. **** SRV. **** John Mayer. **** later Clapton.

As for amps... Well, you've just gotta get out there and try a bunch.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
For a looooowww $540, reliable, gig-worthy BB king setup, looks aside:

- Jay Turser SG with humbuckers (JT-50 Custom), roughly $260, highly playable for beginners, light, sustains forever.

- Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 30 DFX, roughly $220, 22lbs, loud 30 watts, dials up to 10 without farting out,

- Snarling Dogs Very-Tone Pedal, roughly $60, overdrive
Last edited by ColdGin at Sep 15, 2007,