What would be the best amp for metal on my mexi strat? I currently have a frontman (old series) and I love the distortion. I like the 30x roland because of the power squeezer. But the 60w has that dyna-amp thing. How well do single coils and rolands play together? Also what is a good affordable noise gate, the ISP decimator would be too expensive...with a new amp
Last edited by Hellfire999 at Sep 14, 2007,
Well....the single coils played through my frontman reverb shriek, buzz, hum, whatever on the drive channel (super silent on clean except when volume is 8-10) especially when gain is 8-10, would this happen lets say on a cube's r-fier setting?
Quote by Hellfire999
Well....the single coils played through my frontman reverb shriek, buzz, hum, whatever on the drive channel (super silent on clean except when volume is 8-10) especially when gain is 8-10, would this happen lets say on a cube's r-fier setting?

I see.

The Cube has a noise gate, so you won't hear it at all.
SWEET! NOISE GATE+POWER SQUEEZE=LESS BITCHY PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOISEGATE+BETTER SOUND+FX= MORE HAPPY ME!!!!!! (caps, sorry) Should I get a SD hot rails or emg if possible? How much better would it be than a frontman?
So I should get an EMG for the bridge in the case it's routed for a humbucker or a hotrail if its routed SSS?
you don't need an EMG for bridge position, just change the pickguard for a HSS one and put a normal size passive humbucker in there...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
what's your budget and where are you?

i don't think i've tried the cube x's (or if i have i haven't noticed... ), but i'd wager either of those cubes would do metal better than the fender frontman.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
some SD humbucker would do, maybe a JB? but i'm not that experienced with pickups and stuff, i'm sure someone else will know better... also, what kind of metal? old heavy metal, trash, death?
EDIT: forget what i said... just listen to him^^ (Dave_Mc that is...)
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
I live in Colorado, it depends on how much the amp is but I don't want an extremely expensive pickup.
Quote by Hellfire999
I'm willing to spend 70-120 max on the pup+guard

if you're just buying a pup for the humbucker posisition. I recommend a EVO. Not the EVO II though, I've heard it's a little less warm. If you want 2 single coils, then get 2 fender hot rods.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by Hellfire999
How much is the EVO and is it good for metal?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP159-Evolution-Bridge-Pickup?sku=302960

there it is for the bridge.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vQF1t2RdINU

there is a video of steve vai using his guitar with the evo (all of his guitars have EVO pickups, but this is him using it during a metal song)
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
i haven't tried the evo II, but it's meant to be warmer than the evo. the evo, if you ask me, is more of a shred pickup than metal pickup. it's very clear sounding.

what type of metal do you mainly play? could you name a few bands?

also have you checked if your guitar is routed for a humbucker under your pickguard?

and belial
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm too lazy atm to check under the guard, I play Sabbath, Killswitch, Mettalica, Maiden, and I'm looking to expand my horizons to death metal and creating my own riffs. I also play hard rock
i can't really suggest anything till i know what size of pickup we're talking!

assuming it IS routed for a humbucker, you probably want something reasonably hot, but not ridiculously so, so that it has enough versatility for hard rock, etc. i'm guessing something along the lines of a dimarzio super distortion, duncan custom or custom 5 (unfortunately i haven't tried any of those), maybe even a DM tone zone. also if it's not ridiculously hot, it'll better blend with your single coils, though it'll still be noticeably hotter. but that's actually an advantage if you're going to use the singles for lighter tones, e.g. cleans and blues tones.

maybe steven seagull will see this thread, he's the resident dimarzio/duncan expert.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Hellfire999
SWEET! NOISE GATE+POWER SQUEEZE=LESS BITCHY PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOISEGATE+BETTER SOUND+FX= MORE HAPPY ME!!!!!! (caps, sorry) Should I get a SD hot rails or emg if possible? How much better would it be than a frontman?

You do know what a noise gate is, don't you...?