I'm looking at getting a volume pedal, and I thought it would be the easiest pedal to choose.

Boss make 2 types, the "H" and "L" which stand for high and low, but high and low what? Is one for keyboards and stuff like that and one better for guitars?

I was also looking at Ernie Ball volume pedals, cos they look pretty cool and aren't very big, but they also make like 5 different types.

Help?

thx.
far out, this is like the 5th question i've asked on here with no replies in more than an hour

don't you guys know or something?
get the ernie ball. they make awesome passive volume pedals.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
iono im guessing the high is for gutiar and low for a bass?dunno man but why would they make two seperate oens i have no idea just taking a wild guess man.
I'm not sure which Boss volume pedal I have, but I know it's blue and it royally blows. This is coming from a guy who's entire pedal board consists of boss
^boss pedals don't have good bypass. cheap $0.02 buffer.

so get ernie ball.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Low meaning low impedance. It takes signals from active instruments well. Also after another (buffered) pedal in your chain or in the effects loop on your amp.

High meaning straight after your guitar.

Yeah, I recommend Ernie Ball too.
These go to eleven...
What is the point in volume pedals? I never understood them.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I had one. I used it to make cool swells with reverb/delay. It got boring. I ebayed it.
These go to eleven...
^^it's a volume control with ur feet. u know, people are more skilled at using their feet rather than their hands.

like chimpanzees.

(this reminded me of sebulba in star wars epi. 1 )
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Low meaning low impedance. It takes signals from active instruments well. Also after another (buffered) pedal in your chain or in the effects loop on your amp.

High meaning straight after your guitar.

Yeah, I recommend Ernie Ball too.

so the "low" ones mean at the end of my pedal board or in my fx loop,

and the "high" ones go first in your effects chain?

does it make a difference to sound?
generally, volume pedals go very first in ur signal path. does ur guitar require batteries? if not, get the passive one.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
generally, volume pedals go very first in ur signal path. does ur guitar require batteries? if not, get the passive one.

so what you're saying is

if i have a guitar with EMGs and one with Seymours, they're going to need different volume pedals?
u can use one, but it wouldn't give u a good sweep with the other one.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
will it still work though? like, will it still take it down all the way too nothing, just not as smoothly?

thanks for the help btw, you seem to be the only person who knows what they are talkin about
well other regulars aren't online...

i would get the 250k passive one. for the EMG guitar, i'd just use the volume knob. it doesn't lose tone when u dial it down.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
well other regulars aren't online...

i would get the 250k passive one. for the EMG guitar, i'd just use the volume knob. it doesn't lose tone when u dial it down.

cool thanks.
[quote="'jamie[wls"]']I'm looking at getting a volume pedal, and I thought it would be the easiest pedal to choose.

Boss make 2 types, the "H" and "L" which stand for high and low, but high and low what? Is one for keyboards and stuff like that and one better for guitars?

I was also looking at Ernie Ball volume pedals, cos they look pretty cool and aren't very big, but they also make like 5 different types.

Help?

thx.

OK, I may be the only one that knows this!!!

H on the Boss stands for High Impedance, which means it has a higher amount of resistance in the pot and resists up to 25K Ohms (measurement of electrical resistance).

The L stand for Low Impedance which means that it has a lower resistance to the signal, containing a 250K ohm variable resistor or potentiometer (the rolly thing that controls the volume level)

Now here's the main difference.

Since high impedance has a lot higher resistance, it is generally used for passive (most standard pickups) instruments, so therefore, guitars with passive pickups (stock pickups, Seymour Duncans , DiMarzio's etc etc) use this as it resists at a higher rate because the potentiometer resists more (250K ohms)

The Low Impedance Volume Pedal is used for active instruments that have active pickups (active pickups like EMG's that require a battery for use) and is better suited to that task.

Now! The Impendance thing is fundamentally just a recommendation, you can use a high impedance pedal with active pickups, but the sweep of the volume pedal will vary slightly. It is not a strict rule, just a guideline.

Out of the Boss and Ernie Ball, having owned both, I say go the Ernie Ball VP JR (high or low impedance) as it sweeps nicely and it does the task brilliantly. The Visual Sound Visual Volume is also great too.

IncuEdit: Ok people who know stuff have now come along. Oh well, hope this still helps.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM