I searched for a bit and found threads that kind of helped me but not exactely what I wanted to know.

Im upgrading my old amp (Cube 15) to something better. I have just gotten my new guitar (Dean FBD dime ML) so I want a new amp to go with it. I play mostly metal and rock. I play a big range from kings of leon/bloc party to BLS/Metallica to Slayer/Damageplan. So i need a bit of versatility. When it comes down to the basics I would like the amp to be best for Pantera'ish' kind of metal. I play about 1 gig a fortnight sometimes for over 200 people so it has to be relatively loud too.

I have narrowed down a few amps but am open to suggestions. Here are the amps along with the price I can get them for. If there are any similar amp Ive missed feel free to recommend them if they're better. All prices USD. As you can see my budget is rather small.

Roland Cube 60 : $345
Randall RG75G3 G3 : $399
Crate GTD120 : $270
Crate FW120 : $380
Peavey Bandit 112: $385
Crate FW65 : $280

Thanks

Scott.
Last edited by Scott. at Sep 15, 2007,
look into a small tube combo, Crate V16 or one of Laney's 15 watt combos.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
well do you like the cube 15? if you can get the sounds you want on that, imagine them better and thats the cube 60!

i havent heard anything about them, but the valvetonix adxl series might be worth a look. Are they out? Ive got the AD50VT and its great for classic rock and blues....so if the xl is designed for metal then i reckon it will be great for metal but probably retain the versatility of the original series
Quote by Scott.
Nah, I dont want a small tube amp.

Any more suggestions?

Any logical reason as to why not?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
probably because he wants it for practice and performing - tube amps are very unpractical for people who need a quiet bedroom amp and a gigging amp - i had a tube amp but i simply couldnt crank it at all - i want overdriven sounds for in my room which you cant get with a valve amp (I live in a terrace)

I sold my tube to go back to my valvetronix, and I can perfectly understand why someone would not want to go tube
Thanks for the input.

I am not really getting my desired sound out of the Cube 15. It doesnt have the kind of tones im looking for.

I have tryed a few vox amps and while I do think they have a great sound, it isnt really what im looking for.

'slashes no1 fan' summed it up with why I dont want a tube pretty much.

Just wondering as Ive never played one; Are crate amps any good? They seem quite cheap for what they are.

Continue with all the comments please.

Scott.
I guess that's a reasonable reason for not having a tube amp, but I'd rather sacrifice my bedroom tone in the knowledge that I had a better live sound. Tube amps don't sound crap at low volumes, they just don't sound as good. However in my experience a decent solid state amp like the randall is just as hampered when playing at bedroom volumes...even solid states have a sweet spot.

Having said that I had an old Bandit...I hated it but the one thing it did do pretty well was a scooped, thrashy sound. It had no subtlety though, and you kind of had to scoop it because the midrange was woolier than a mamoth in a cardigan.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com