Hey guys, ive known this site for years but didn't get around to joining. Now that i finnaly have, i got a little problem that has arose for me. I live in Australia NSW and my budget is ranging from $500-800. I'm also considering a foot pedal but I can deal with that later.

I've got a Behringer starter pack(I've had for about 2 ears) which includes
- vintage 15 watt amp, small and easy to move around . But can't get much descent metal quality that i want. The clean is good but don't all amps have good clean channel?
- electric guitar, looks like a remake of a fender stratocaster. Any other electric guitar ive played seems better than this plus it has a seemingly chunky neck . Otherwise ive been happy to play with it as my begginer guitar to get me started.

Lately i've bought an ESP guitar(EX-50) an Explorer guitar. I'm very happy with this purchase. The shop i bought it from said it suited my style and recomended it to me. It has the sound i've been looking for and now all i need is a descent amp to go with it. For home practise, band prac,recording and soon possibly gigs.

Now all i need at the moment is a better amp. I'm looking at a 50-wat but will be happy with a 30 wat. I've tried a 30 watt marshall amp and i loved it.

I need something i can practise with my friends/band. My freind who is a guitarist plays lead in our band. I play rhythm and vocals. Anyway he has a $600 ibanez guitar with a 15 watt roland cube. Which is playing up on him now, possibly from not looking after it too well... dust maybe?

The dealer i bought my recent guitar from told me marshall are just as good as roland if not better.

Also having a 30 watt+ might keep up with playing a drummer, our 15 watts dont seem to do the job to well..

The music im into or like to play etc. would be under the Heavy Metal/Progressive Rock/ Alternative Rock genres

Some Bands i like in order are
MetallicA, Trivium, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold,Linkin Park, Muse and System of a Down.

With my amp i really like effects such as chrous, reverb etc. I'm not an expert in that area but I've tried out some of that stuff before and loved it.

Thanks for your help guys
I'd go with some type of marshall combo or maybe liek a fender 120(i think) deluxe reverb for about 600 bucks.
Look at the Epiphone Valve Standard. Very decently priced amp, loud, good overdrive tone, excellent choice for what you're looking for.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
There isn't much in the way of tube amps at your budget...

Try a legacy amp. They have this 30watt tube 2x12, called the blues something. You should be able to get that & a metal muff for 800.

If your just after volume, a fender fm 212r is a pretty loud combo for 500 bucks.
Shop around at your local 2nd hand shop. I got my Laney TF300 amp there for half the actual price in almost mint condition. The amp is a solid state 120w combo with tube modelling, pretty good but not as good as the real thing. Even if it has a Marshall badge doesn't mean its going to sound good (MG series...). Also invest in an OD pedal if you like to play that kind of music.

Here's a couple of sites to get you rolling, all aussie based:

www.guitar.com.au
www.bmusic.com.au
www.guitarparadise.com.au
www.allansmusic.com.au
www.venuemusic.com.au

and why not eBay too? :P
Thanks for the instant replies guys! I truly appreciate it. My reply has taken a while cause i got exams on currently
I think i played a 30 wat marshal MG series ttp://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MG30DFX

Quote by Schmeg Junior
I'd go with some type of marshall combo or maybe liek a fender 120(i think) deluxe reverb for about 600 bucks.

I tried lookin for that on the internet but found an amp, FM 210? I''ve heard Marhsall give the heavier rock tone but thats just a myth.

Quote by Tom S.
Look at the Epiphone Valve Standard. Very decently priced amp, loud, good overdrive tone, excellent choice for what you're looking for.

I found this one and besides its excellent descriptions, it does seem like something im looking for. Only today have i tried understanding what is valve and pre amp and apparantly this appears to be a good buy .

Quote by Cofflecakes
There isn't much in the way of tube amps at your budget...

Try a legacy amp. They have this 30watt tube 2x12, called the blues something. You should be able to get that & a metal muff for 800.

If your just after volume, a fender fm 212r is a pretty loud combo for 500 bucks.

If its worth savin an extra hundred or 2 i suppose i can do that. My current behringer 15 watt amp is a vintage vacuum tube amplifier? I heard of metal muff, it's a good metal pedal right?
The fender fm 212r looks brilliant, good news from everywere. This quote if off the review of the amp on UG "Just don't buy this amp for distortion! Stick to Marshalls for that. Buy this amp for power and quality" and theres plenty of other reviews here on this site!

Quote by indra13
Shop around at your local 2nd hand shop. I got my Laney TF300 amp there for half the actual price in almost mint condition. The amp is a solid state 120w combo with tube modelling, pretty good but not as good as the real thing. Even if it has a Marshall badge doesn't mean its going to sound good (MG series...). Also invest in an OD pedal if you like to play that kind of music.

Here's a couple of sites to get you rolling, all aussie based:

www.guitar.com.au
www.bmusic.com.au
www.guitarparadise.com.au
www.allansmusic.com.au
www.venuemusic.com.au

and why not eBay too? :P

I actually bought a bass guitar and amp from a second hand store. We went with my mothers friend who owns a guitar shop and we took her advice when we found a bass we all liked. After a while of playing i noticed the sound was rather low, i tried turning it up and it didnt get much louder. We took it back to the shop and compared it to some cheap $200 samick bass which was atleast 4 times louder!

http://www.midasdistribution.com/Italia_gal_modulo_bass.htm the one in the middle i had but i sold we sold for half the price we bought it for ($250).

But i will check the other second hand shops around to see for bargains. Oh and whats an OD pedal? overdrive pedal? if so Im quite interested. I'll check out them sites too.

Thanks for your help guys, its really making a difference. Keep the posts coming!
The Fender 212R is a crappy amp. Loud, but the distortion is buzzy and cheap sounding. You can get better for the money.
Quote by uldhppi
The Fender 212R is a crappy amp. Loud, but the distortion is buzzy and cheap sounding. You can get better for the money.

It's an SS clipping machine, and it takes pedals horribly, may I add.

See if you can get a Windsor down there for that price.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
It's an SS clipping machine, and it takes pedals horribly, may I add.

See if you can get a Windsor down there for that price.

+1, or keep saving for a nice tube amp
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
The guy that suggested the Legacy Blues Twin, we get them as Epiphones here, so I'm assuming that's the Blues Custom you're talking about, which is a pretty good amp.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Quote by indra13
Nice bass those pickups look like bullets lol. Yes OD is overdrive.

I'm planning to get a new amp myself. I have my eye on a Peavey Valveking Royal 8, It's cheap and it's tube!!!

http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=7497

You're pretty much listening to the same kind of metal I'm listening to, we could probably help each other out

Yeah the bass's lipstick pickups did look cool and i think that it produced a somewhat warmer and nicer sound compared to other basses I've tried. But the pickups was most likely the reason that caused the low sound. We took it to technichians but they couldnt fix it or find a solution. We sold it for half of what we bought it for becuase the owner of the store wasn't sure it would sell and what happens? its bought within 2-3 weeks after it stayed there.

Peavey seem really descent, they got one at school and my friend/band mate who plays keyboard and knows his theory, His dad's got one and I use that when i jam at his place . Great metal sound!

Oh and i checked your profile and i can see we have similar interests. Maybe we can have a jam sesh lol so far away though.

The peavey Windsor looks great. The Texture and resonance features arent something im familiar with. I really want to get chorus as a minimum requirement.

By the looks of things it seems the fender amps aren't gettin too positive responses..But I need what suits my style.

Thanks again for your continuous responoses. I'll have to see if these amps are in stock at my local stores
Last edited by OmniGuitarist at Sep 21, 2007,