Page 1 of 2
I am guessing you see this a lot, how do you get the intro to sound so good?
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Practice, and use your neck pickup. There are a bunch of different ways of playing it, use the one most effective for you.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
The first to posts are right just practice and get it down.

Also I like to use a subtle wah when I play the intro, you could try that.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I can play it really well I just don't know what effects are needed (i.e. distortion, wah-wah)
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
I'm not sure either, but when I play it I find a good amount of overdrive and the wah get it to sound good.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by What_is_my_name
I can play it really well I just don't know what effects are needed (i.e. distortion, wah-wah)

Have a look what slash uses. Use a neck humbucker, with light to moderate overdrive, hell even turn down the volume knob on your guitar just a tad.
he gets a lot of bite out of his guitar. but then it's not trebly at all. it's an alnico warmth in the sound. i like it.

i use my neck pickup, tone knob at about 6, bolume up, overdrive.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yup - there's no "effects" as such, he's just turned his amp up. Slash doesn't use loads of distortion, the character of the tone comes from him having a great amp that reacts well to the guitar and pickups he uses. The Alnico Pros are low output with a soft attack and bright yet warm tone, if you don't have a decent amp those subtleties are lost.

Oh, and he's Slash.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Haha this is funny cause I was at work last night talking to my wife on the phone and I had my guitar on my lap and without even realizing it I was just running through the Sweet child intro without my amp on. She asked me why Slash's sounded so warm and everyone else that she heard play it sounded "plinky"

I turned my micro cube on a dialed in a little reverb, and got "better" but not enough. She said only slash should be allowed to play it cause noone else comes close.
^lawl ur wife has good ears. i want someone like that

or... do they get kinda annoying when u can't play??? uh oh that's me...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Practice. It's just a little pattern out of the E blues/pentatonic (?) scale. Pick your neck pickup, and turn your tone knob down to 1-2ish.

I'm still somewhat new to the guitar, but SCOM was the first song I learned :P

VV Is it really? I'm still new to identifying scales and **** :P
Last edited by canoshiz at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
^lawl ur wife has good ears. i want someone like that

or... do they get kinda annoying when u can't play??? uh oh that's me...

Nah she doesnt mind if I play it and it sounds "pingy" I think she understands that i am not as good as slash (yet lol)

I dont understand my wifes ears, I mean she can pick out Kirk Hammet from a 10 second clip of him playing a song she never heard before. She knows if I am playing a Pantera song right or wrong. She can tell if I have a string out of tune. But she likes to listen to Nelly Furtado, and Fergie and crap like that. haha
^dunno. but a convenient wife to have? (string out of tune) i can tell if it's more than 5hz off on a string. i got okay relative pitch. i took the test and got like 1.3hz or sumtin. but then thats BS i can't tell less than 5hz haha

i dunno. girls liking Fergie and stuff is common. i wouldn't accuse her.

i'd love a girl who digs cream
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I use the neck pickup of my LP, with guitar volume at 10 and tone at 6. On the amp, bass at 7, mid at 4, treble at 7, gain at 6.5, and a bit of reverb (about 3.5 or 4). With that settings and my gear, it sounds pretty nice. And of course, practice
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
make sure your pressing down properly on every note, and that your fingers dont mute any of the strings that you use, start by playing it slowly, just making sure u get a clean note every time, then speed it up
How do you practice it without a rhythm guitarist?It sounds really awkward when I try to learn it without any 2nd guitar.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Practice. And try and locate a JCM800 that's been hot-rodded and play through that.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
smoothly does it, let it flow let it flow let it flow
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Always use the neck pickup, and make sure you use ALL of your fingers, in the intro i use every finger at least once, and always alternate your pick. After that, practise.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by ECistheBest
^it's D major scale.

Are you sure it's D major, because all but one of the notes are in the E minor pentatonic box at the 12th fret.

On topic, it took me awhile to get it to sound good, lightly palm muting(i mean lightly) helps the notes to stop from ringing out, and just practice.
Quote by kiwi68
Are you sure it's D major, because all but one of the notes are in the E minor pentatonic box at the 12th fret.

On topic, it took me awhile to get it to sound good, lightly palm muting(i mean lightly) helps the notes to stop from ringing out, and just practice.

Yup, it's very D Major - look at the chord progression Also I'd try and get out of the habit of muting it, you really want the notes to ring out a little and muting kills them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
neck humber, overdrive to full/moderate distortion. and make sure you mute the strings once youre done playing them.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by What_is_my_name

Answered your own question there

Quote by Broken-pick
How do you practice it without a rhythm guitarist?It sounds really awkward when I try to learn it without any 2nd guitar.

Ooh...Let's see...What could you do to practice along with the rhythm parts? Hmm..No...Beats me, it's absolutely impossible, I'm guessing you might need some kind of CD or MP3..And...OOOHHH! I've got it!

Play along to the track, duh.
neck pickup and OD channel. no need of many gain, and yeah practice
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by steven seagull
Yup, it's very D Major - look at the chord progression Also I'd try and get out of the habit of muting it, you really want the notes to ring out a little and muting kills them.

will do
...And remember to turn your guitar down half a step to make it sound perfect. I have my SG tuned down and it nearly sounds the same.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
a gibson les paul, good pickups, a tube screamer re-issue pedal, and a marshall half stack.

oh, and 25 years of expert playing might help.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by canoshiz
VV Is it really? I'm still new to identifying scales and **** :P

yes it is definitely D major. its major. not minor.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Don_Humpador
Answered your own question there

Ooh...Let's see...What could you do to practice along with the rhythm parts? Hmm..No...Beats me, it's absolutely impossible, I'm guessing you might need some kind of CD or MP3..And...OOOHHH! I've got it!

Play along to the track, duh.

Play along with the track?It's kinda fast,I can't catch up making it sloppy
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by CullenT
a gibson les paul, good pickups, a tube screamer re-issue pedal, and a marshall half stack.

Slash was a little over 20 when they recorded Appetite. 22 to be precise.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Neck Pick-up/Rhythm

Thats it...it sounds almost exactly like it (tone wise) on any guitar i've played.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by CullenT

and are you kidding?

I could play the whole song after about 8 months or so.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by CullenT

You do realize that the song is 20 years old, and Slash is only 42?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 2