I am considering either the vox valvetronix 30 watt or the epiphone jr half stack. both are 250$.

I play blues and such, and I want a loud amp if possible, but if the tone lacks, as I was unimpressed with the vox, I would go for the all tube epi.
If the vox is really so much louder than the epi, I would need it to play smallish gigs later on, but I don't play rock, so my music would be more quiet than most.
If I get the epi, then it will last me longer, and I could practice with it pretty much forever with out need to upgrade at least for that purpose. If I could mic it to PA or something with little loss of tone and cash, then that would help a lot.
Fender Blues Jr. 15w verified by me that it handles all kinds of blues up to just before high gain blues (gary moore-ish). it takes effect pedals nicely, even delays and phasers before the amp.

they incresed their price to $450, but im sure u can grab one from eBay for $250.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ +1.

I think you can still get Blonde Blues Jrs off places like musiciansfriend and music123 for only $400 though. Exact same amp, just looks better, and cheaper
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i like black tolex better IMO lol. it doesnt matter cuz i have it already, swapped speaker, and it was $400
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Look at your favourite blues musicians.

I'll use mine for example: SRV, used Fender Bassman, Rory Gallagher, Used Fender bassman, twin and Marshall Plexi heads, while he was in taste he used VOX AC30s.

The Bassman seems to be the one occuring most so that may be good. That is only a small segment of my favouites and my music taste a bassman probably wouldnt get all the tones I want.
SRV used heaps of different amps. He used Marshall heads and Fender Vibroverbs, I never recall him using a Bassman though, although he was a gear abuser haha.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
SRV used blackfaces... didn't he?
he has that trebly yet bassy and warm tone form cranking i believe a vibroverb. or was it a tremolux...? vibrolux??? iono...

for me it's a '57 twin amp hahaha. but i have a blues jr. so i want a blackface now.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well lovely, but I want a new amp, my price limit this year is 250. I don't want a 70 pound amp until absolutely necessary. I don't gig yet, I just want to have that capability later; maybe I need to get a 2nd tube amp like a hot rod or bassman in a year or 2. right now I just want to know if the epi is worth it for just practice, or if the vox would come in handy for some small gigs.

anyway, SRV tone cannot be so easily replicated. you could buy his signature guitar, get the exact amp and pedals, and setup the same way, and sound nothing like him. I'm not really trying for his tone with this amp, his fingers were the source of it and I can't buy them.
i've been messing around with a fender hot rod deluxe at a local guitar shop, and it has great blues tone. only reason i haven't bought it is because i need a little more grit.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
A Crate Palamino may seem as loud as the Vox due to tubes and 10" speaker. Its a good little blues amp. Try one out. $200.
i had a galaxy epi tube amp, i never played blues, but for the tone i got it was totally blues, if u get the epi tube and a texas heat pickup say hello to true blues.
The Vox Valvetronix would be able to nail every blues tone, ever, from the early Fender tweed blues guys, to the later Soldano blues tones(Gary Moore, Clapton)
Blues is a GENRE like ROCK... Blues is not an AMP it's a style - I play it on tube amps and Solid State amps. It ain't the amp boys...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by rhakiath
I am considering either the vox valvetronix 30 watt or the epiphone jr half stack. both are 250$.

I play blues and such, and I want a loud amp if possible, but if the tone lacks, as I was unimpressed with the vox, I would go for the all tube epi.
If the vox is really so much louder than the epi, I would need it to play smallish gigs later on, but I don't play rock, so my music would be more quiet than most.
If I get the epi, then it will last me longer, and I could practice with it pretty much forever with out need to upgrade at least for that purpose. If I could mic it to PA or something with little loss of tone and cash, then that would help a lot.

I like the VJ better, honestly. And mic-ed, it could do a gig.
Are you in the US? Look to a Crate V16. It'll be loud enough for a gig. I think they're 350.
Quote by strangedogs
Blues is a GENRE like ROCK... Blues is not an AMP it's a style - I play it on tube amps and Solid State amps. It ain't the amp boys...

Agreed, and I used to type this every time I saw a thread like this. After a point I just gave up and started giving amp advice - noone listens to this advice, because most people don't have an idea of what the blues truly are. It's not a scale, nor a guitar, nor an amp, its a person smacking 6 strings (or less, depends on whatever you can get) and draining his emotions out in the form of song.

I can play the blues on a Dual Recto with a King V, so could Clapton, so could Muddy Waters if you could go back in time and lend him it.
I'd go with the VJ. It can do anything, especially blues.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
right. I saw 2 more, the pignose g40v which is just 310 for 40 watts and says it can drive a large cabinet. It is only 30lb which kicks ass. but it was unclear as to whether it was all tube. it was listed in the index on the guitarcenter site, but never says class A tube.
second is the v8 Palomino 5 watt, which may be a crate but is not listed. It is only 200 and 20lb but I wonder if the 10" speaker is worth it, since the epi stack has a 12" at the same power; I would imagine the 12 would be more powerful with the same wattage.

so I'll try the palamino out, but unless that's spectacular, Ill get the epi for sure. Thanks guys, and let me know about the pignose, theres like zero info on them.
Quote by ECistheBest
Fender Blues Jr. 15w verified by me that it handles all kinds of blues up to just before high gain blues (gary moore-ish). it takes effect pedals nicely, even delays and phasers before the amp.

they incresed their price to $450, but im sure u can grab one from eBay for $250.

Musiciansfriend last time I checked also had the blonde Blues Juniors for $400, so tha't worth checking out.

Oh and +1, pretty good amp.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Blues is not an AMP it's a style - I play it on tube amps and Solid State amps. It ain't the amp boys...

THANK YOU!

Lots of amps work great for blues, I've used Peaveys for years, now I'm using a Fender Super Reverb/ Peavey MX dual amp rig, I've seen Marshalls, Fenders, Traynor, Randall, Crate, Vox, Kustom, Bogner, Soldano, Matchless, Bonnie Raitt used a Bad Cat, you name it, I've seen it used for blues, but by far the most common is Fenders. John Mayer uses Twin Reverbs I'm pretty sure, SRV used a Super Reverb mostly, Buddy Guy uses mostly Bassmans, and the Twin Reverb has been used a lot by everybody you can think of. BB King last year at his birthday bash in Indialona, Miss. was using a Lab Series combo. Mostly Fenders that day, 4 or 5 bands and one Lab Series, one Peavey, the rest all Fenders. The main thing though, they were ALL tubes...every last one, except for maybe BB's Lab Series, I couldn't see the back of that one. The others I recognized, having played most of them at one time or another, all were tube amps. Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, old blonde Fenders, Blues Devilles...I think there was a Vibrolux or Vibroverb there, but couldn't see it well enough.

I made this observation in another thread, I don't care what brand name it has on it, plug me into a straight, all tube amp, no master volume and I can get the sound I want out of it. Fender, Marshall, Traynor, Randall, whatever If it's an all tube amp it WILL get the sound I'm after. And I go for more a bluesy sound than anything else, and I play a lot of rock. Rock is nothing but blues with a bit more gain...that's what they make overdrive and distortion pedals for. I start with the cleanest tube sound I can get, wall to wall tone, then use pedals for gain/distortion. I use the Super Reverb for that cranked all tube sound and the Peavey MX for super clean when I need it. Brand names shouldn't matter, if it's a tube amp the tone controls should let you dial in any sound you want from country to jazz to blues to metal with the right pedals.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
^Agree. Good observations and philosophy. "That's what the blues is all about."
alright, only like 1/3 of you guys answered my question lol. I don't want a deluxe reverb! I just want a viable all tube practice amp, which is easy to move, and has no digital fx. I never even mentioned srv in my first post... I have at least eliminated the vox as a choice, and maybe I'll look at 300-400$ amps. I'll decide what the blues is all about later, If I even decide to play just blues, which I doubt.
Quote by rhakiath
alright, only like 1/3 of you guys answered my question lol. I don't want a deluxe reverb! I just want a viable all tube practice amp, which is easy to move, and has no digital fx. I never even mentioned srv in my first post... I have at least eliminated the vox as a choice, and maybe I'll look at 300-400$ amps. I'll decide what the blues is all about later, If I even decide to play just blues, which I doubt.

Epiphone Valve Junior. Way under your budget, but sounds perfect! It's a good cut the crap and get straight to good sound kind of amp. No matter where you set it, it sounds great!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by rhakiath

A few of us already mentioned the Blues and Pro junior, incase you missed those suggestions.

^Also plus one to the VJ, got to play ithe head version a few weeks back in GC, starts to break up pretty well around 12 and has darker tone to it.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

^i like really american voiced tone, that's really open and not too mid heavy. not too much bass either. i want enough edge/bite, but not too harsh on the presence. This way, Fender Champ is not my option since that thing sounds way too compressed in that 6" speaker.

For a blues amp.

and u said u wanted as loud as possible.

and what kind of blues do u play? texas blues and psychedellic blues and stevie ray vaughan blues are totally different tones...

Texas: High, Mid heavy, warm bass
Psychedellic: Mid, Bass heavy. warm highs.
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Heavy strings. or sparkly highs, with darker presence, scooped mids making it not too crunchy and more open, and heavy bottom end.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Sep 16, 2007,
thank you, much better. Its just that I don't need a 100 watt tube amp for years to come. I appreciate the other suggestions, but as for my amp choice, I'm going for the epi. It seemed to have a more open ended tone with fewer knobs to mess it up. I figure the cleaner and more authentic the signal, the more the tone control, pickups, and pedals will help. after all, I can always add distortion and stuff, but I can't make a cheap muddy amp sound clean.
If your just looking for a practice amp get a Fender blues junior or Blues deluxe
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
Valve Jr. is a very bassy amp though. u might want a modified one from kerry.

if u want a clean authentic kind of sound, definitely a deluxe reverb. (like we said in the first page )

Fender Blues Jr. breaks up early, but it's a decent amp for what you're looking for.
Blues Deluxe might be the choice. the clean channel is what i love. but then, it's still bassy.

so in conclusion, go to ur guitar shop and try them out.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Pro Junior if you don't need the volume IMO.

Of course I can't see anyone turning down a good BJ.

Quote by forsaknazrael
The Crate V16 is another to look at. It's affordable, yet would be able to do small gigs un-mic-ed. Has better cleans than the VJ, too.

I've tried the V8, and I prefered the cleans of my VJ. Maybe it was the specific model though, I heard the Made in USA v8's are the only good ones. But, I'd say the VJ has very good cleans, as long as you don't need to be loud, or you can mic it.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, the V16 had more sparkly cleans than the VJ, and of course, has more headroom.

True, So try them out and decide for yourself!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123