Go for the nice one, learn to like the floyd
39 72%
Buy the cheapo first
8 15%
sell my skills on ebay
7 13%
Voters: 54.
Page 1 of 2
Hello, im having some difficulty deciding what to do. A problem i have been running into lately, is that i need a trem for some of the songs i play. The whole thing is, ive never played a guitar with a floyd, and there are no stores near me with any. The problem here is, well i dont have a car, and i cant drive.( im only 14) so pretty much i go to a place with an ok guitar store about once a year. As i said, im 14, so i do not get much income, but i have been saving, and i have enough for an ibanez rg1570, or s470, or jackson dinky, whichever the store has and i likeplaying the most. the whole thing is, i dont want to waste my money on a guitar with a trem, and end up not liking it, and therefor wasting the money. another thing isi have some habits of resting my hand on the bridge while playing, and ive heard that will detune the floyd, and other things like that which makes me cautious about buying one.
do you think i will get used to it?

should go all out and get one of the guitars listed earlier, and risk not liking it. or buy a cheapo like an ibanez rg350 or something similar to even see if i like having a floyd. i know if i get the rg350 the trem will crap out soon, then its that much longer till i save enough money to get a new guitar

im just wondering what you think, spend the extra 300+ dollars on the ibanez rg350 to see if i like having a floyd, or just go ahead and get one of the "nice" ones.

you might be wondering " why dont u just test it out at the store and see if you like it" well, i only have about 1 chance a year to go to that store, and my mother doesnt like to wait while i sit there for hours playing them" like i did last time ^^"

EDIT: im now looking at the Esp Ltd Mh-400, im wondering how the trem is on this, ive heard its good and ive heard its crap.

sorry for the long confusing post, but i really need some "guidance"
Last edited by Wylde_Man at Sep 16, 2007,
just get a fixed rg, and buy another guitar witha floyd once you move out
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
The Edge III will last you about 3-5 Years, Depending on how rough you are with it.

I have a RG350 and I frankly love playing it. It was almost as nice as the Jem7V I played at GC once.
ive heard that the trem wouldnt last me but 3-5 months xD but il take a look at it

no need for a hardtail rg, i have an esp ltd viper1000 deluxe, that took years of saving lol
Hey,

I own an Ibanez Rg350EX, it's really not that bad for the price, I really enjoy it. The trem will last you a while despite what other people say, mine is perfectly fine. Your habit will be broken of resting you hand on the bridge if you start making a a habit if knowing that you can screw up the tuning by resting it there. Rest it on either the horn or the lower body or just keep it at your sides when resting it.

Better yet, just try them out. Tell your mother that even though she doesn't like waiting, you need time to try it out and see how it feelsand that you would appreciate the time to decide. After all, you said you can only get out there once a year and that the money you want to spend is going to have to make this guitar worth it as you don't have a huge disposable income. Tell her to go do errands or whatever but tell her that you really need the time. That will be the best way. Set aside a couple hours and try out what you want. This will be your guitar for the next while, you dont want to just buy one that looks good but one you are comfortable and happy with.

Good luck with your purchase!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your quick and very good comments, i believe i will check out the 350, and see how i like it, because i wont be abusing it to much. i will take all of your advice, but thank you cmonaco especially, i found yours very helpful.
Quote by FRDesign
click my sig for a 350 in action lol

nice =D i like it, i think im gonna stick some dimarzio breeds in there when i get it, cause i probably am going to now =D

nice playing

EDIT: are those EMGs in yours?
dude think about it though.a nice tremolo is better then a ****ty tremolo man.What if the cheapo makes you hate trems cause it goes out of tune and stuff?i say youll like a floyd if you have another guitar for alternate tunings man.thee only thing in my experience is a pain is changing strings the first time(not changing but tuning them afterwards) get the expensive one man.
Huh? Resting your hand on the bridge will cause detuning... how can you play palm muted then without detuning the guitar?
(and you can't go wrong with a RG1570!)
i'd say get one of the nicer models and get used to it. i've gone through my share of upgrading from crappy guitar to somewhat better to somewhat better etc etc and...i should've just saved up and bought a nice one from the start. playing a great guitar helps so much and makes me want to play guitar more. that and upgrading means that, unless you sell all of your old gear to stupid people, you'll lose money. plus, if you decide for some reason that you don't like the trem, you can sell it for a nice hunk of cash and find something else.

just my 2 cents.
Three words: Used American Kramers.

Get a Baretta, preferably. You can get a beat-up one for 500$, it has an OFR and an SD JB.

Great guitars, why does everyone forget about them?
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Don't waste your money on a guitar if you are not certain you like it. Don't buy guitars with Licensed Floyd Rose and other cheap trems. Tuning headaches not far behind. A guitar with a good Floyd doesn't detune if you lightly rest on it. Some don't agree but I think they are a real pain in the *** to string and tune initially. I would not want my only axe to be a Floyd. If you have a hard-tail (non-trem) and want to add a floating trem to your arsenal, don't waste your money on cheapies.
my 2 cents is dont go for the RG350DX ive had it for 3 months, and well it worked fine untill last week...the trem totally crapped out on me....im getting the trem blocked this week but other than that its a pretty good guitar
Gear:
Geetars:
**Schecter Demon**
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul (Camo)
Ibanez RG-350DX
Ibanez GAX-70
Ibanez IJ-70
Amp(s):
**Valveking 212**
Fake cube 60
Ibanez Jumpstart amp
Pedals:
EH Metal Muff
GLX Distortion
Zoom G-2.1u
Quote by Rammstein_Fan15
my 2 cents is dont go for the RG350DX ive had it for 3 months, and well it worked fine untill last week...the trem totally crapped out on me....im getting the trem blocked this week but other than that its a pretty good guitar
what do mean by crapped out.
it wont stay in tune anymore and ive had it set up like 3 times in the last 2 weeks.. ist not a bad tremolo, dont get me wrong but the rumors of it having horrible tuning problems are mostly true.....if you have a good one, then you know...good for you but...mine sucked so my advice is stay away from it
Gear:
Geetars:
**Schecter Demon**
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul (Camo)
Ibanez RG-350DX
Ibanez GAX-70
Ibanez IJ-70
Amp(s):
**Valveking 212**
Fake cube 60
Ibanez Jumpstart amp
Pedals:
EH Metal Muff
GLX Distortion
Zoom G-2.1u
I'd go with an S, I frickin' love those things, plus the ZR trem is the best in the biz. And even if you don't like the trem, you can always block it off. And you know, unless you push in to the bridge, it's not going to change pitch when you palm mute (your hand should only be touching the bridge when you palm mute anyway).

I also have to ask, what amp do you have?
Quote by FRDesign
thats people just BSing.

how long have you had yours?

problem with buying the 350 is that you're almost setting yourself up to fail. too many people think they hate floyds because of poor experiences with cheaper licensed versions.

there's a good chance you'll get used to the floyd, and if you think you will, go for the 1570.

however, some people just hate floyds, so be warned.

also, make sure you have a nice amp.

Quote by FRDesign
Hmm, Ive had mine for 3 Months now, And it still works.

wow, nice. so yours has worked as long as the critics say it will, and yet the critics are BSing.

Nice.

My lo-trs (edge III precursor) worked for a few months at best. No offence, but do yourself a favour and STFU about stuff that you are basically admitting you don't know.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how long have you had yours?

problem with buying the 350 is that you're almost setting yourself up to fail. too many people think they hate floyds because of poor experiences with cheaper licensed versions.

there's a good chance you'll get used to the floyd, and if you think you will, go for the 1570.

however, some people just hate floyds, so be warned.

also, make sure you have a nice amp.

wow, nice. so yours has worked as long as the critics say it will, and yet the critics are BSing.

Nice.

My lo-trs (edge III precursor) worked for a few months at best. No offence, but do yourself a favour and STFU about stuff that you are basically admitting you don't know.
If mine craps out, I have an OFR to put in, so I'm set.
sweet. you should probably mention that. and the fact that rg350 + cost of OFR = rg1570 which is a nicer guitar to boot, and which comes with a case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go used.

A used rg570 is often less than a new 350. Better build quality and a better trem for less money. Necks (unless warped) only feel better with time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Rude, but sensible stuff.

x2
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by cmonaco
Rest it on either the horn or the lower body or just keep it at your sides when resting it.

wtf? hes talking about putting his hand on the trem while picking a lick...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
considering you have enough for an ibanez s and dont want the hassles of a floyd...........you answered your own question
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by pifty
x2

eh i get sick of people who don't know shit continuously arguing with the consensus and giving out bad advice.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
FRDesign - you claim and Edge III will last 3-5 years, but you have only had yours for 3 months. Wow, you must be realy trustworthy, and not bul****ting at all!
Used Kramer, Charvel, RG550, or a new RG1570!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Page 1 of 2