Ok so I'm really DESPERATE for good guitar tone. My current gear:

Gibson New Century Explorer
1983 Ibanez Roadstar II
Epiphone Les paul Gotchic

Laney TF300 120W amp
Marshall Guv'Nor overdrive
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

I've been tweaking the settings on my amp and OD pedal but no luck so far. I just need advice on: what I should get next for that ideal sound or settings (wirings, knob settings).

I live in a townhouse and I don't want to upset my neighbour so tube heads and cabs are a no go for now.

I'm looking for that Hi-Gain with a lot of sustain for metal. Not too muddy

And something really good for jazz too. Maybe something like this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PpNrh1M3XM
I'm after a similar sound to that guitarist with the long hair

So far I'm thinking of getting a Boss GT-8 and a Marshall Bluesbreaker II just to get things going.

Thank you for your time
Get rid of the Guv nor and get a TS-9 or a Maxon clone of the TS-9. Those things are amazing for metal, crank up the gain on the amp, turn the gain on the pedal down and the level all the way up on the pedal. as far as the guy with the long hair, a TS-9 could get you in the right neighborhood. JUST WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T SCOOP THE MIDS!! THAT KILLS SUSTAIN!
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
What's wrong with the demon?

Oh the TS9, is that the same as the OD9 or OD808?

And damn, I just bought that Guv'Nor yesterday
Last edited by indra13 at Sep 15, 2007,
The amp is your problem, plain and simple - those Tube Fusion thingies don't exactly set the world alight. You can throw all the pedals you want at it but ultimately the amp is the bottleneck as far as quality of tone goes. Stick with what you have and save up towards a good amp.

You've said that a tube amp is a no-no, yet you currently have a 120 watt SS amp so that comment makes absolutely no sense.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Seagull got there first....
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Tone problems, pickups and chip papers...they're my specialities
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by indra13
Oh the TS9, is that the same as the OD9 or OD808?

808>TS/OD9
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by indra13
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PpNrh1M3XM
I'm after a similar sound to that guitarist with the long hair

THAT is a great sound! It's mildly 80s-ish ... like a sitcom theme song ... but maybe that's why I like it.
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
get an orange Tiny Terror and a TS9. It's a 15W tube head with the option of cutting it to 7, so there's a lot of headroom for higher gain
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
freepatriot: I know I fell in love with that sound when I first heard it Oh , I read about you suggesting a Line6 pod on another thread. Will it help me achieve that guy's tone?

Johnonon: The problem with the Tiny Terror is that there's no headphone socket so silent bedroom practice is impossible altough I've been told that they can go pretty quiet, but then I still have to get a cab for it. The TT was actually on top of my list until I found out that most tube heads doesn't have a headphone socket

And Steven Seagull, the amp I own has a headphone socket while most tube heads doesn't as far as I know. I'll be receiving a 'decent' amount of money soon, so any amp suggestions? You don't have to name a brand for me, just tell me what I should look for in them. I really want that guy's tone in the video!!!

The guy in the video is Kon Tsuyoshi, here's a couple more videos of him performing with singer Utada Hikaru (You can only see the singer most of the time, but awesome guitar parts & solos):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk7aQ9aGAa4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vleU0FlZg
Last edited by indra13 at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by indra13
And Steven Seagull, the amp I own has a headphone socket while most tube heads doesn't as far as I know. I'll be receiving a 'decent' amount of money soon, so any amp suggestions? You don't have to name a brand for me, just tell me what I should look for in them. I really want that guy's tone in the video!!!

The guy in the video is Kon Tsuyoshi, here's a couple more videos of him performing

Yah, it has a headphone socket because it's not a tube amp, it's solid state

If you want good tone then you need tubes, unless you want "good" nasty tone, like Dime. A pedal isn't going to help really because he's not playing with loads of gain, however the quality of the tone shines through
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Thats why Im trying to move on to tubes but initially I thought that there's gotta be a pedal out there that can imitate them. But like you said Steven Seagull,no...I like Dime's tone but it's not what I'm looking for...
Oh you're not wrong, there's pedals that do a great job, it's just that they cost about the same as an amp would...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Can you name some of them for me? Just something for me to throw into consideration. Thanks dude
I think you should give a Boss Blues Driver a try?
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
I was going to get the Marshall Bluesbreaker II since they're a bit cheaper and they have that boost/blues switch so...I dunno
Gain: 7
Presence: 8
Resonance: 5
Treble: 9
Mids: 6
Bass: 7

This gives me a good metal tone on tube amps, granted you can hear the difference each amp. Try these settings out and tell me what you think.
I don't have a tube amp yet, but tried these anyway and they came out a bit too muddy, maybe it's the OD pedal's settings, any suggestions? It's a Guv'Nor. I just ordered the Maxon OD9 so hopefully it's gonna sound better.
The OD9 is a great pedal, it's just that it's usefulness is going to be limited. You'll get a great bluesy nreakup sound on the clean channel, but try to use it to colour the amps distortion and you'll just get a crapload of noise and feedback.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Let me the first to say,get an Epiphone Valve Junior and a Metal Muff or distortion pedal. Its tube and it's not too loud. Problem solved
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Hmm the valve junior's pretty cheap but its a 5 watter...I never tried a 5 watter before, but I heard that it wont be louder than the drummer in the band (im not in a band yet but im just saying). I can also get a Valve standard for around the same price too, and 15 watts, any good? There's also an Epi So-Cal 50H, they're tubes aren't they?

I just found a dealer who sells a Peavey Valveking 112. Does anyone know if this one is any better than the Epi ones mentioned before?

EDIT: Steven Seagull, the clen channel on my current amp is pretty weird. If I crank up the volume knob on it it'll start to distort so I can only keep it under 4 I guess it's another reason to get a new amp. So what do you think about the OD808 instead cos I can still change my order
Last edited by indra13 at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by indra13
Can you name some of them for me? Just something for me to throw into consideration. Thanks dude

I've never heard it for myself, but Boss claim that their BD-2 blues driver gives you the tone of a tube amp of some description.

i bet it doesn't though...
They sell the blues driver at my local shop along with a few more of these blues booster/enhancer pedals. I'll have a crack at them sometime this week. I could probably end up having more than 2 OD pedals after this...
The Valveking is good, but i think it'll be a tiny bit too loud. I'd go for an Epiphone Valve Standard or a Marshall DSL 401, i didn't know you had to go over a drummer
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I have a friend who is a drummer. I used to have this 15w SS amp and the sound is completely drowned by the drums
The Valveking 112 will cover drums, but as previously said, it's a bit too loud for bed rooms and just jamming.

Take a look at the JCM2000 TSL601
There is no tube combo I know of besides a Peavey Royal 8" that has a headphone output, but if you want good sound at whisper volumes thats your only alternative. You could use it for living room or garage jams if you don't require a lot of volume. It's only $200 USD. Later on get a larger tube combo like the Valveking 112. I love mine. You are going to need a pedal for metal with any budget priced amp, including these two.
The VK 112 has a knob called texture that allows you to cut the power output to only 20-25%, and it enables you to play at much lower volumes. I play mine at what I call bedroom volume and it sounds decent but not nearly as good as cranked. Your bedroom volume demands may be quieter than mine. It sounds like if you want tubes you will have to get two amps, one for practice and one for gigging. I'd check the Royal 8. Get your gigging amp later on. Just my advice. Tube tone is definitely worth it.
Hey thanks for the tip I know another tube combo with a headphone jack, Ibanez ValBee. But I heard it sounds 'tinny' and it only handles metal. I kinda like the Royal 8, but too bad there's not ext speaker output...You're right about getting my gigging tube amp later on when Im ready to actually go out there and play. But will the 'headphoned' output of this amp be...similar if not close to what a proper tube amp should sound like? Thanks

EDIT: Oh what about a Peavey Tube Windsor Studio combo? Any good?
Last edited by indra13 at Sep 17, 2007,
My Mesa DC-5 has a headphone output, and last I checked it was all tube ...

I'm guessing it might be a little to loud for what you want though, I haven't been abl to find a safe place to crank it yet
Even though I'll be having money coming in pretty soon, Mesa amps are still too pricey for me even though I know for sure that they can nail a metal sound
Most amps will not sound as good through headphones. I have not tried the Royal 8. Try it in the store with a good set of headphones and see what you think. It may be good enough to get you by. Play with the EQ and distortion levels. You may get an acceptable sound. Good luck.
I am not able to discern from this thread what the actual requirements are.

Nail the tone in the video? Bedroom amp w/ headphones? Be louder than a drummer?

Which is it?
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
Basically a real tone, Im just tired of the same kind of distortion you get from a beginner's rig. His tone is the benchmark for me. I only play through headphones when it's late at night, I play without them during the day (I work everyday so most of the time i only get to play late at night). As for the drummer, I just want my sound to be heard loud enough
Last edited by indra13 at Sep 17, 2007,
In other words, you want what every guitar player wants, the holy grail.
freepatriot.com
Okay so far I've created a list of what I'm going to get next to enhance my sound. It's not going to be my final list, feel free to make suggestions or advice.

AMP
Peavey Valveking Royal 8
or
Peavey Windsor Studio (It's out already here)

PEDALS
Maxon OD808
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Digitech Whammy (just for fun)
VOX V847 Wah (Seriously considering replacing my WD7)

OTHERS
Some high quality headphones (for night use only)
Quote by indra13
Okay so far I've created a list of what I'm going to get next to enhance my sound. It's not going to be my final list, feel free to make suggestions or advice.

AMP
Peavey Valveking Royal 8
or
Peavey Windsor Studio (It's out already here)

PEDALS
Maxon OD808
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Digitech Whammy (just for fun)
VOX V847 Wah (Seriously considering replacing my WD7)

OTHERS
Some high quality headphones (for night use only)

forget about the vox wah if you're going to use a lot of gain. don't know if you're gonna play metal, but if you, look at other wahs.
rest of the list seems good.
Thanks. I should maybe add Peavey Windsor Studio (head) to the list. And maybe a cheap 1x12 cab for it. I dunno if this is a good combination or not...