Poll: Vox AC50CPH... Yay or Nay
Poll Options
View poll results: Vox AC50CPH... Yay or Nay
Buy it!
9 53%
Don't buy it!
8 47%
Voters: 17.
In a new band now and things are going ok. I'm looking for a new amp since I sold off my gigging settup awhile back. So I am doing research while I am saving until the time I need the amp.

With all of that being said, the most important thing in an amp for me is a great natural clean channel. After that I can build on top of that. The new Vox AC50 CPH caught my eye. Vox cleans are just amazing to my hears to say the least. The new series is said to retain the cleans of the old amps and bring more in terms of the gain channel. So has anyone played it yet? I got to take a swing at it and I found it great but that was a short period of time as I was only in town (friends place) for a short while.

As for wattage I'm aim for the 50 watter. Its all tube so it will run loud. I just want to make sure that the 50 will give me enough headroom to retain my cleans and still cut through the mix. If its not I'll go up to the 100 watt. I know it will be harder to drive the amp though so something has gotta give at one point.

I want to buying this head and a 2x12 cab. I'll use the 2x12 cab for at home practice and band practice until I can save enough for a a 4x12 cab and then the 2x12 will just be for home usage. If I have my way I will build the cabs myself but that will come later. I don't want the combo model of this amp. I want to set up a stack for my own transport reasons as it will make my life alot easier so please do not suggest that.

So all in all what do people think of these new amps and should I keep my eye on this prize while I'm saving?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
a cranked AC30 can get sparkle cleans pretty much same volume as the overdriven tone if u roll down ur volume knob on ur guitar...

but i want to know how AC50CPH sounds so get it
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
A normal AC30 will get you those cleans you want at gigging volumes, easily. From other people, the CPH Voxes have a poorer clean than the originals and have a decent high-gain sound - although the high gain is voiced completely wrong for anything modern and so there are better things out there for both the high gain and clean tones.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by ECistheBest
a cranked AC30 can get sparkle cleans pretty much same volume as the overdriven tone if u roll down ur volume knob on ur guitar...

but i want to know how AC50CPH sounds so get it

I never really messed with a guitar with decent electronics whenever I played through an AC30. So I'll check that out and see how If I can get any control out of it straight from the guitar. I don't see why not anyways.

Quote by MrCarrot
A normal AC30 will get you those cleans you want at gigging volumes, easily. From other people, the CPH Voxes have a poorer clean than the originals and have a decent high-gain sound - although the high gain is voiced completely wrong for anything modern and so there are better things out there for both the high gain and clean tones.

It sucks that the cleans may have been diminished. I don't want to make that type of sacrifice like I said earlier. Hopefully I can find a shop with them and try them out a bit longer and see what will happen. Its just that its been awhile since I have been this excited about an amp. I always end up disappointed with alot of the amps I get a hold of.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

the high gain sounds like ass, and channel 1, while alright, doesn't sound as good as a real ac30.

so basically, if you want the ac30 sound get an ac30 (or laney vc30/15 if you're on the cheap EDIT: ok, maybe not, you're in the states, stick with the vox then), and if you want a high gain sound look elsewhere. virtually anywhere else. Its high gain sounds that bad. o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they make an AC30 in a head version, it's worth looking into
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Dave_Mc
the high gain sounds like ass, and channel 1, while alright, doesn't sound as good as a real ac30.

so basically, if you want the ac30 sound get an ac30 (or laney vc30/15 if you're on the cheap EDIT: ok, maybe not, you're in the states, stick with the vox then), and if you want a high gain sound look elsewhere. virtually anywhere else. Its high gain sounds that bad. o_O

Well the problem with the AC50 is that the only special thing about it is that it has more gain, but the high gain sounds like ass and the AC30 does everything else MUCH MUCH better.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
yep basically gabe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just get an ac 30(id suggest the head version, the combo is extremely heavy)...and crank that mother (wouldnt recommend doing this at home however)

you can always get a distortion or fuzz if you need more than that...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Dave & Gabel:
O wow thats depressing that the new models don't seem to perform as well as they are supposed to. Maybe a tube change would help but no sense buying the amp and then still disliking it after a tube change. I'll check out the AC30's some more in the mean time while I continue amp hunting. Its either that or go back to the Traynor amps.

Dave:
I can get a hold of some Laney amps I have been interested in them lately. Once I have more money saved up I'll check them out also.

latinosuperstud:
Yeah, I'd get the head of version of any amp I get once I make my decision. I'll purchase an overdrive pedal to push the amp more since I won't be able to crank it at home. I'm also looking into two Radial Tonebone pedals which I absolutely fell in love with.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Last edited by OsirisProtocol at Sep 16, 2007,
i love radial tone bones... the hot brittish is my favorite of the two ive played...

and since we are in the us laney isnt really worth the price over the vox... because in europe its about half the price it is here
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I love the Hot British and Classic Trimode pedals. They are just amazing and well worth the price imo. Just gotta find an amp for them. I don't want to transport the Gemini. If I anything I'll use it for at home practice and sell the Vox AD to help finance the new amp.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by latinosuperstud
and since we are in the us laney isnt really worth the price over the vox... because in europe its about half the price it is here

yep basically. i only suggested the laney before i realised osiris was in the US, hence the edit...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by OsirisProtocol
Dave & Gabel:
O wow thats depressing that the new models don't seem to perform as well as they are supposed to. Maybe a tube change would help but no sense buying the amp and then still disliking it after a tube change. I'll check out the AC30's some more in the mean time while I continue amp hunting. Its either that or go back to the Traynor amps.

Well if you want a nice two channel amp check out the Orange Rocker 30, I have one and it's awesome!

Anyway the problem with the AC50 isn't the tubes. Basically the amp itself hasn't got enough definition, lacks punch and isn't tight enough for a good high gain sound. You just get mud. The crunch and clean is decent, but an AC30 would do them so MUCH better. An AC50 is basically an amp with useless high gain and cleans and crunch other amp's do better.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Well it looks like I'm leaning back towards the AC30's again. I haven't actually seen an Orange amp in person before. I've heard great great things about them but nowhere stocks the damn things. Hopefully I can find one to try out before I make a purchase in the future. Thanks for all the help guys.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

there's bound to be an orange dealer in new york... unless of course you mean new york state and not the city. I seem to remember (from some random thread somewhere) that NYC has an orange dealer...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
to make a completely unrelevant post...i want an ac30...

like..now...

but, have you looked into fender amps? if your main aim is cleans, get one of those

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Dave_Mc
there's bound to be an orange dealer in new york... unless of course you mean new york state and not the city. I seem to remember (from some random thread somewhere) that NYC has an orange dealer...

I'm pretty sure that NYC does have one. I just can't seem to find it lol. I'll make some calls and see what happens.

Quote by hendriko
to make a completely unrelevant post...i want an ac30...

like..now...

but, have you looked into fender amps? if your main aim is cleans, get one of those

lol. There is a man who knows what he wants. But as for the Fender amp. Eh. I have an unhealthy dislike for Fender amps. I have yet to play one that just delivered for me. I'm not ruling them out I just have yet to have a great experience with one.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

alright i see...just makin suggestions

uhh...i agree on what gabe and dave said though...ac30 or rocker would be best

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by OsirisProtocol
Well it looks like I'm leaning back towards the AC30's again. I haven't actually seen an Orange amp in person before. I've heard great great things about them but nowhere stocks the damn things. Hopefully I can find one to try out before I make a purchase in the future. Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm also looking for a new amp too cuz' I just sold my mesa express. I was looking at the Orange Rocker 30 but I noticed that it didn't have an EQ for the clean channel. Sucks cuz' I like to shape my cleans.

I'm real cautious about the AC50CP though cuz' why would vox make an amp that's cheaper than the AC30 that has more features.

I'm looking at a stiletto ACE now too.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12