Right...

I've been endlessly searching for a short scale guitar. I'd like something that i can put heavy strings on without there being too much tension.

So far i've found the following guitars:

Fender Mustang - I love the feel of this thing, but i ***ing hate the pickup switching system. Theres no quick way of switching from 1 pickup to the other, you have to either switch both on and then one off, or switch them both off in the process. And those tiny switches are awkward as hell to flick.

Fender Jaguar - A little better. It still has a slightly annoying switching system, but i can deal with it. Thing is this guitar doesn't agree with me at all. my playing deteriorates into a sloppy mess whenever i try to play a jaguar for some reason, i don't have this problem on any other guitar.

Rickenbacker 325, 350, etc.. basically the 300 series - WAY out of my price range, but the "20 scale is very nice.

Are there any others out there? Specifically for around £200-£300 ish although i'll stretch to about £600 if i really have to.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I'd try and find a Mustang in a guitar store and spend a good deal of time with it and see if you can get properly used to the system. Do the same with the Jag.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Squire Jagmaster + new pick-ups, maybe? I've been wanting a Jaguar recently, and I think that's the path I'm gonna take.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
You could always mod the switching system, it's not very complicated
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MrCarrot
I'd try and find a Mustang in a guitar store and spend a good deal of time with it and see if you can get properly used to the system. Do the same with the Jag.

i did, thats how i know i'm not keen on either. i found the playability more of an issue on the jaguar.

Its not really short scale, but i found a bright yellow MIM fender cyclone which was quite comfy. i think its the typical gibson scale length but with a fender neck profile. I quite liked it, although it did have a problem with the bridge pickup having very low output (they think its just a dusty switch). Its basically a HS mustang with a contoured body and a 3-way toggle switch. Almost exactly what i'm looking for, its only about 1.25" longer scale too.
Rig Winter 2017:

Personally I say go with the mustang and maybe mod the switching or get used to it. But modding the switching would take all of 15 minutes and maybe 30 $$ (If you don't own a soldering iron, and need to but a switch (maybe a dollar fifty))
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Personally I say go with the mustang and maybe mod the switching or get used to it. But modding the switching would take all of 15 minutes and maybe 30 $$ (If you don't own a soldering iron, and need to but a switch (maybe a dollar fifty))

yeah, but that would basically be turning it into a cyclone... the Cyclone wasn't quite as shortscale but i was still more comfortable playing it than i am with most guitars.

if its still there when i can afford it, i'm gonna get the used Cyclone. Otherwise i'll have to get a mustang. Bear in mind that the MIJ mustangs cost about £550 over here... the Cyclone is £350 used but its mexican made, and the store are going to sort out the problem with the bridge humbucker.

btw, i never specifically said i want a fender, i'd also like some recommendations of other shortscales. Its just that i only really know of fenders
Rig Winter 2017: