at what point do you tell yourself youve gone to far with your soloing and shredding and start making it melodic and musical
At the point you sound like Zakk Wylde

jk, I like his music, but sometimes it's to much
You make out that shredding isn't melodic or well composed.

First, understand the actually meaning that the phrase "Shred" encompasses, then make another thread, you can o' spam.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Post in the right forum.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by minibrowny
When you realise that youve gone to far with shredding and soloing....

luckily im not a shredder.

And by "luckily I'm not a shredder" you mean "unfortunately, I do not have the determination, skill, or love for guitar as most shredders do to be able to devote so much time to practicing and mastering my techniques," right?

Yeah, thought so.
^ well i spose so, i cant shred, but i dont like shredding in general, tis just an opinion. But i meant im lucky because i cant play fast enough for it to lose its melody, not that i have much in general
Quote by minibrowny
^ well i spose so, i cant shred, but i dont like shredding in general, tis just an opinion. But i meant im lucky because i cant play fast enough for it to lose its melody, not that i have much in general

Another typical "shred doesn't have any melody" kid. You're so misinformed it's not even funny.

I don't mind that you don't like shred, but when you say stupid things about it, I have to intervene.
I'd like to learn to shred someday, just so I can say that I can, to have it as an extra skill. But I think its dull to listen to, but I'm sure its fun to play, so don't all slaughter me!
I can't be arsed to learn, not because I don't love the guitar, simply because that genre does not interest me
Quote by The Blind Man
I don't like shred guitar. It's got no melody.

listen to John Petrucci

seriously

now.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
I agree that there are ways of playing the guitar that are more melodic than shredding, but it is a hard technique to master, and people shouldn't put it down just because they can't do it.
Quote by dreamtheater91
listen to John Petrucci

seriously

now.

Bad example.

Instead, listen to Joe Satriani.

Quote by Smokey Amp
Bad example.

Instead, listen to Joe Satriani.

pffft, no.

Listen to Gilbert
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Shredders got skilzz yo,just not my thing,to boring for me.When i play personally i go all weird nosies or blues on yo asses for the solo.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
Quote by nightraven
Bad example.

Instead, listen to Marty Friedman.

yes. Epic win

Satch isn't shred, and Petrucci's solo album has melody a-plenty. He also has a solo on Friedman's new album. So there's two examples in one song.
Quote by Captain_Kickass

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

Originally posted by Archeon
Another typical "shred doesn't have any melody" kid. You're so misinformed it's not even funny.

I don't mind that you don't like shred, but when you say stupid things about it, I have to intervene.

No, thats not what im saying, the TS asked when do you start making solos melodic again, i know shred has melody, and i have respect for shredders, its just that some of the stuff ive heard is shredding for the sake of shredding, i know thats a small percentage. I wasnt saying shred has no melody.
Quote by dreamtheater91
yes. Epic win

Satch isn't shred, and Petrucci's solo album has melody a-plenty. He also has a solo on Friedman's new album. So there's two examples in one song.

Man, Satch fits easily into the Shred category, he's one of the pioneers. Just because he a more blues fusion spin to his music doesn't mean he doesn't play shred.

I said Petrucci was a bad example because of his work in Dream Theater. His solo album is great, but he's almost robotic in DT.

Quote by Smokey Amp
Man, Satch fits easily into the Shred category, he's one of the pioneers. Just because he a more blues fusion spin to his music doesn't mean he doesn't play shred.

I said Petrucci was a bad example because of his work in Dream Theater. His solo album is great, but he's almost robotic in DT.

I just usually think of Satch as a very groovy hard rock instrumentalist. But yes, when i think about it, he shreds his ass off in "Circles".
Quote by Captain_Kickass

Quote by dreamtheater91
I just usually think of Satch as a very groovy hard rock instrumentalist. But yes, when i think about it, he shreds his ass off in "Circles".

Yeah, he has plenty of shred. Try Crushing Day, that's insane.

Quote by nightraven
I was joking btw, my earlier post, Satch is shred, more shred than Friedman, I just prefer Friedman

I know, I was talking to the DT guy.

Friedman is awesome. Rock Fujiama for the win.

Quote by Smokey Amp

I disagree. Although his solos in the Train of Thought album were pretty lame, his older stuff and what he plays on Systematic Chaos are friggin' amazing.
shredding only to show that you can play fast is lame, but good shredding can be kind of tasty as long as you don't overdo it.

I do whatever fits the song and solo section best
...And the worms ate into his brain.