Hi everyone,

well as some of you might know, I bought my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe used, and it was my first tube amp, it seems as though the previous owner knew NOTHING about taking care of amps, Cosmetically...it look(ed) horrible, I've managed to fix up some stuff, and it sounds great...the only problem is, when I first turn it on, for the first couple of minute or two, there will be volume swells and strange noises coming out of it, after that though, it plays perfectly.

Whats going on? Do my tubes need replacing? Or is it something bigger than that?

Steve
Guitars
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat
Warmoth Strat
Epiphone G-1275 (Burstbuckers)
Fender MIM Chrome Red Strat
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
i thought all tube amps took a few seconds to 'warm up' or whatever.
wouldn't worry too much.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Don't play your tube amp until it has warmed up for about 5 minutes. That's why the standby mode is there on most tube amps. Leave it in standby until it is ready to play.
i do put it on standby, but ive been told to do it for about 30 seconds only, ill try leaving it on standby more time, thanks.

-Steve
Guitars
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat
Warmoth Strat
Epiphone G-1275 (Burstbuckers)
Fender MIM Chrome Red Strat
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Don't play your tube amp until it has warmed up for about 5 minutes. That's why the standby mode is there on most tube amps. Leave it in standby until it is ready to play.

I don't understand why everybody does this so excessively. The lives of valves are only shortened by 'cathode stripping' in the first 15 seconds of the valve being powered without heaters on. After this period leaving it on standby is pretty pointless... You can achieve the same effect as a standby switch in terms of protecting the anodes/cathodes for the first 15 seconds with a screen grid resistor.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.