Ok i have been playing guitar for about a year, my modest skills include 3 scales(minor blues and major) basic chord progresion about a dozen chords wich i can bar. and i can use these to do some solos and write a few pieces which ive yet to record/upload. but im having trouble progressing im not really sure where to go next. ie more scales, modes ect. ive looked around the lessons and forums here and at cyberfret so any advice would be apreciated.

ps i apologise in advance for my poor english and if this is a double post or anything. thanks

Update: thanks for the info guys. i apreciate it
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks
Last edited by A.McGee at Sep 16, 2007,
I recommend learning the major and minor scales more thoroughly and how they are used to create chords. Learn about intervals and dominant/major/minor/half-diminished and diminished 7th chords and you should have a very large variety of neat things to spice up your playing.
Quote by felixdcat
Caged.

that really doesnt help. maybe you could be more specific? Instead of just flat out saying caged. He probably has no idea what that means.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
I'd suggest learning afew songs. You could apply the chords and scales you already know. If you look at most rock songs they are fairly basic - its great to know a ton of scales and chords but I think beginning players especially get too caught up in trying to learn everything at once ( i know I still do this alot as well).