I've spent absolutely ages researching amps lately, so much so, I'm tired enough to leave it up to UG for a simply yes or no - and that'll be that.

For awhile I focused on a Marshall because my friends old Marshall Valestate amp's cleans around lovely. But apparently, Marshall don't make amps like they used to and the good ones don't produce the same cleans and are too expensive for me anyway.

So a lot of people pointed me to the Orange Rocker 30, but that seems to be not a lot of tube for a whole lot of cash. So I'd rather go for something else - I've also been told Fender's produce very nice cleans, so I'm now considering the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

It's a 40 watt tube amp, which I'm hopeful will at least offer more volume than what I have at the moment. A Carlsbro GLX50 which is just... dull and weak.

It's worth mentioning, I play in a band regulalry and I need quite a bit of volume. Played to over 500 before, and that was with that Carlsbro amp!

So. What do you guys think? Is the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for me?
well what kinda music do you play?what bands are you into?whats the sound your after?
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

i would recommend the blues deluxe over the HR.
tryed em side by side and the BD was the winner (for OD, that is, cleans are similar)
and an orange rocker 30 is fine
why is it 'not a lot of tube' ???
Quote by The red Strat.

and an orange rocker 30 is fine
why is it 'not a lot of tube' ???

I think he means that its not enough wattage. Although 30 watts would be plenty, there isnt a major difference in volume between 30 and 40 watts. In fact 30 watts could prove better as you can that tube saturated tone at a volume that wont make your ears fall off.
And like someone else said, what music do you play? (im guessing mostly clean stuff as you have hyped up the fact the hot rod can do clean very nicely)
Funk, Ska and Jazz.

Well while we're on the subject of wattage - and yeah Captain Sam you're right, there's also the Hot Rod Deville which is 65 watt. Is that an amp with a good reputation?
Stop worrying about wattage. As long as it's 30+ you'll be fine. For ska, which is my specialty, I'd say the Orange or the HRD are fine. What it comes down to is how often you use the OD channel, because Fender amps have horrible OD channels (for the most part) and Orange has one of the best (imo).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
are you in the US, europe, or elsewhere?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also, you said you RESEARCHED amps. By that do you mean you;ve looked at them on the internet or you've actually gone to a shop and played them?
The only way you will be able to decide if the amp is right is by hearing it for yourself, we can only point you in the right direction
^ agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want cleans at decent volumes, the Hot Rod is the way to go. But if you want good OD from the amp, look elsewhere.

Don't dismiss the Rocker 30 though, but the cleans are really natural, you either like or you don't.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
So I've got a question: if the OD isn't good on an amp but the cleans are very good, can't you just use an overdrive pedal with the cleans then?
i just got one of these about 4 weeks ago.

i love it. a lot.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
Quote by Adriaan999
So I've got a question: if the OD isn't good on an amp but the cleans are very good, can't you just use an overdrive pedal with the cleans then?

Yea but it's usually not as good as having a good OD channel. Some OD pedals can be an exception, like the Fulltone OCD. Ask Gabel.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by .smudged.
He's in the UK

good point, i should've checked that link.

I'd probably look elsewhere to be honest... fenders are expensive in the UK. Granted if you want nice cleans, they're still pretty nice, but if you need nice overdrive as well, you have a lot of other options... laney, engl (if you're looking at the more expensive fenders, say the 60 watt versions), orange, etc., etc.

Quote by Adriaan999

depends. i agree broadly with what rhcp said, but it also depends on what type of overdrive you want. if you want br00tal modern metal, odds are the amp will do it better than a pedal. cab construction (open/closed back etc.), type of speakers, etc., etc. will also affect the overdriven tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?