Well dunno if its actually the correct title for this question..

If your going to play a song half step down and you dont want to de-tune your guitar can you play everything up a fret and get the same affect as half step tuning?

I just read it somewhere on a comment to a tab(forgot which one)
Well tuning down half a step:

E - Eb

Fret the first fret on Eb & it becomes E...

Wallah!

took me a while to realise to, haha.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
when you say up you mean towards the headstock right? Then that would work, unless you need to play an open string then you would have to detune your guitar.
Honeybiscuit is here.
Honestly, if you didnt need to play an open string i would question the very fact that you would even downtune in the first place
^ Some people tune down half a step just because it's a little easier to bend. Kris "the shredmaster" does it for that reason.

Also Slash, some Van Halen etc. Some people go way further than half a step.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
oo i just wanted to find out because if im just playing with friends i dont want to take the time and detune my guitar wen i can just make it sound the same without drop tuning.

yea by up i mean going up towards the headstock...so is it towards the headstock or away from it to make things half step?
Last edited by Pi3_M4N at Sep 17, 2007,
^022100 in standard tuning = 133211 when tuned down a half step.
I think some of the people who posted in this thread are a little messed up in the head.
If you were to tune down to Eb you would have to play one fret higher to achieve the same pitch in Standard. If your friend in standard plays a 5 on the E string, he is playing an A. If you're in Eb, to play an A you would have to play 6 on the E string (or 1 on the A string); if you were to play 5 on the A string you would play an Ab and it would sound very ugly. If you played a 4 (as suggested in this thread, if I'm reading correctly) you would be playing a G which would sound just as ugly.

You're going DOWN, therefore you must divide the string MORE than before to achieve equal pitch.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence