I need some help choosing a graphics card. I have no idea what I need, but at the moment I have an Old GeForce FX5700LE 256Mb.

Its getting a bit outdated and I can't really play many newer games unless I have all the settings on low, which is disappointing.

As far as I know I need the type of graphics card that ISN'T a PCI one. I don't want an uber expensive one. My max budget is around £50 - £90, but I'll push a little further If I find something I like.

Can anyone help? Oh and It needs to have Direct X 10 capabilities.

Suggest away!
can't get direct X10 capabilities with that price. All of those cards like 600 bucks.
Oh fucking hell. Ok well I think I can cut on the DX10 stuff. Any suggestions that don't use DX10?
no way youre going to get a GC at that price with DX10

ati radeon x1950 pro is good, but the VGA fan is utter ****
Hmmm, I have a question...If I have an Nvidia GC now? How easy is it to install say an Ati one? Just slot it in and play?
I prefer the second one actually. But then again I know nothing about graphics cards so I could be picking a pile of poo.
You don't need to pay the extra cash for a card that can do DX10, unless of course you must use Windows Vista.

Get yourself an nVidia GeForce series card. I'm still using a 6600GT. I don't see why you'd need anything more? All the good games out there are low-resource. Plus nVidia works flawlessly with OpenGL and open-source operating-systems. Can't go wrong Although ati is planning on open-sourcing their drivers, so soon I'll be an ati fanboy.

Oh yeah, and get a PCI-express card. Lower-cost, more bandwidth, and well, AGP is outdated. You might need to get a new motherboard, one with PCI-E.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
You don't need to pay the extra cash for a card that can do DX10, unless of course you must use Windows Vista.

Get yourself an nVidia GeForce series card. I'm still using a 6600GT. I don't see why you'd need anything more? All the good games out there are low-resource. Plus nVidia works flawlessly with OpenGL and open-source operating-systems. Can't go wrong Although ati is planning on open-sourcing their drivers, so soon I'll be an ati fanboy.

Oh yeah, and get a PCI-express card. Lower-cost, more bandwidth, and well, AGP is outdated. You might need to get a new motherboard, one with PCI-E.

The bottom half of that post confused me greatly.

I know at the moment I have an AGP card, so assuming I did get PCI one would it work?
Also you mentioned about getting another motherboard. I have no idea what mine is, but my processor is about 3.2Ghz, will that be able to cope?

I'm such a noob

EDIT: I'm not on Vista Btw.
Last edited by Cpt.Jackass at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I wouldn't of thought they make AGP DX10 graphics cards.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=344018

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=562455

I guess you'll pick the first.

me neither!

good news
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
PCI-Express is a new form factor. You want a motherboard with at least one PCI-E 16x slot for a graphics card, since it's twice as fast as 8x AGP.
Don't confuse PCI-express with PCI. PCI has been around for ages and most every motherboard has it.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
PCI-Express is a new form factor. You want a motherboard with at least one PCI-E 16x slot for a graphics card, since it's twice as fast as 8x AGP.
Don't confuse PCI-express with PCI. PCI has been around for ages and most every motherboard has it.

So how do I find out whether I have a 16x on my motherboard

/newbie.
Which motherboard have you got? I haven't used windows in ages, so I think you go to system in the control panel, and check the device manager. Check 'Display Adapters' and if it's AGP, then no, you don't have PCI-E.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Here's what it says:

Quote by My Computer

Device Type: Display Adapters
Manufacturer: NVIDIA

It also says PCI a lot in the other tabs.
Hmm, that doesn't help. **** it, I have no clue. For me I just do this:

# lspci
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Gah I would go to PC world, but i'll probably get more help on UG.

I'll just leave it as an AGP, it's just easier that way. Plus it's not like my graphics card has been out of date for a while, only very recent games require more than it can handle.
So it's regular PCI...

Look man, for dx10 capabilites, sm4.0 and all that, the best option is a motherboard with pci-express (or pci-e for short) and a good videocard such as the geforce 7 or 8 series.

If you don't know what something looks like, the normal procedure is type "something" in Google images.

Example:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=pci-e&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
**** it, time to open my computer and find out.

EDIT: K i've opened it up, looks like my current graphics card is AGP. All the slots are full so i'm assuming pci-e is out of the question?
Last edited by Cpt.Jackass at Sep 15, 2007,
If your motherboard has an AGP slot, then u can't use PCI-e. simple as that. So go and get yourself an AGP graphics card--most of the midrange models come in both PCI-e and AGP versions (or at least they did last time i was shopping--last year or so). GeForce 7 or 8 series should fit ur price range (tho im in the US, but $110 ~= 55 pounds?)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814145135
looks decent. Check newegg for others in ur pricerange of either GeForece 7xxx/8xxx series or ATI X1650
Quote by its irrelevant
If your motherboard has an AGP slot, then u can't use PCI-e. simple as that. So go and get yourself an AGP graphics card--most of the midrange models come in both PCI-e and AGP versions (or at least they did last time i was shopping--last year or so). GeForce 7 or 8 series should fit ur price range (tho im in the US, but $110 ~= 55 pounds?)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814145135
looks decent. Check newegg for others in ur pricerange of either GeForece 7xxx/8xxx series or ATI X1650

Thanks man, looks like one day i'll have to shell out for a new motherboard if I want a better Graphics Card.

Judging by the reviews that doesn't look very good for what I want, but thanks for suggesting anyways
256mb. Crap card?

See this is why I don't follow computers/gfx cards anymore.

It's so confusing. Too many now. etc.
Quote by Jackolas
256mb. Crap card?

See this is why I don't follow computers/gfx cards anymore.

It's so confusing. Too many now. etc.

Yeah I know, it has decent memory but it clocks slow and it can't handle most of the newer shaders and stuff recent games have, meaning it just lags a lot.
haha yes, there are a lot of models and specs and such. I'm still using a Radeon 9600, 256MB, AGP4x. Runs my original Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront and assorted other games somewhat nicely.

Actually, TS, its not hard to upgrade from an FX5700. In fact, even though your current one has as much RAM as the newer ones in your pricerange, the new ones (GeForce 7600 for instance) have faster GPUs and better designed architectures that increase your performance. So you dont HAVE to upgrade your motherboard unless its AGP 2x. Then, no matter how fast your card, your performance wont improve.
Quote by its irrelevant
haha yes, there are a lot of models and specs and such. I'm still using a Radeon 9600, 256MB, AGP4x. Runs my original Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront and assorted other games somewhat nicely.

Actually, TS, its not hard to upgrade from an FX5700. In fact, even though your current one has as much RAM as the newer ones in your pricerange, the new ones (GeForce 7600 for instance) have faster GPUs and better designed architectures that increase your performance. So you dont HAVE to upgrade your motherboard unless its AGP 2x. Then, no matter how fast your card, your performance wont improve.

*Thinks*

Ok this is the last question (I've learned a lot tonight xD). How do I know whether my motherboard is 2x, 4x or 8x. I'm pretty sure it's 4x/8x.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out on google

Cheers for the help man, it's been really confusing.
ha no problem--its taken years to get to know what i do about this stuff, and i don't even know all that much compared to a lot of people. Glad I could be of assistance though.
Ge Force 7900GS!!!

I think it might be a little over your price but it's worth it. It can play a lot of the games out right now pretty well.