My friends little brother just started guitar lessons a few weeks ago. He told me that his teacher constantly made fun of his taste in music, and how he didn't know any music theory. When he said he listened to mostly metal music, his teacher told him that metal isn't music and that he should listen to jazz. I wanted to go up to the music store and punch his teacher in the face. They should encourage their students, not discourage them and make fun of them. Has anyone here had some experience with asshole teachers like this?
Wow...seriously get another teacher for your little brother. If the teacher's being such an ass he doesn't deserve to teach.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

No, but if I were you, then I'd tell that guitar teacher to f*ck off and go find a different one. Don't hit him, you'll get in a lot of trouble for aggrivated assault. He's just another over confident, closed-minded guitar wanna-be that probably has a crappy taste in music. There are plenty of guitar teachers out there, some even specialize in a specific genre. Just go find a new one
Tell that d*ck-head off and find your bro another teacher
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Your brother's teacher is right. Metal isn't music. He should play jazz instead.

Seriously, though. I totally agree. A teacher should teach his student something valuable to what he wants to play, not bash his taste in music.
My teacher was a jazz player who really looks down on you and makes you learn music theory. I don't like him. I learnt more on my own from 1 issue of Guitar World than I did from about 12 lessons with him.

I still don't like him
i would suggest getting another teacher right away. that's no way a child to learn music.
People.. It's not HIS brother's teacher.. It's his friend's brother's teacher.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by European Son
Your brother's teacher is right. Metal isn't music. He should play jazz instead.

Seriously, though. I totally agree. A teacher should teach his student something valuable to what he wants to play, not bash his taste in music.

I agree with you. If you're a jazz guitarist, you can do everything. Even Scot Ian from Anthrax said so. Asids from that, the teacher shouldn't bash music. But you'd look like a total idiot if you went and confronted this teacher.

BTW. If he's a Jazz guitarist how does he not know theory?
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
Wow...seriously get another teacher for your friends little brother. If the teacher's being such an ass he doesn't deserve to teach.

*friends not his
Quote by Jack Off Jill
People.. It's not HIS brother's teacher.. It's his friend's brother's teacher.

Ohhhh...his *friends* brother...

Then tell your friend to do what I said instead
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Just have your friend's brother's parents (confusing ... yeah) find a different teacher for the kid. Don't punch him in the face, tell him to eff off, or make any comments. Remember that you heard the story second (or third, possibly) hand. You don't know what the teacher REALLY said. He possibly said something like "Oh, you like metal. Well I think you'd learn a lot more if we played jazz music." The kid might've exaggerated that to his brother, who then possibly exaggerated it more when he told you. It goes from "Jazz is a good genre to develop your guitar skills" to "Metal SUCKS! The only music worth listening to is jazz!"
Scott Ian said that Jazz guitarists can do anything?

That must be true.
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
Quote by RentACar
I agree with you. If you're a jazz guitarist, you can do everything. Even Scot Ian from Anthrax said so. Asids from that, the teacher shouldn't bash music. But you'd look like a total idiot if you went and confronted this teacher.

BTW. If he's a Jazz guitarist how does he not know theory?

Umm. The first two lines were sarcastic.
My guitar teacher was an extremely brilliant guitarist...but he was a bit of a moron. He couldn't even really remember my name from week to week and kept teaching me the same exact thing that he taught me 2 week prior to the lesson. And it was just a waste of money.
The Pit. The Movie.
I hate stuck up jazz fans. I hate anyone who thinks people should all like the same music.
your brother is not the only one with that problem
in my school in music class(bass class) the teacher thinks classical rock is the only kind of music that people should listen to and he acts like bass is not important

sometimes i make fun of him for acting like
he gets very mad when i laugh at him
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
You should piss on his face.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
In all fairness, the teacher is right.

But still an asshole.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by pinkhaze29
*friends not his

Oops... sorry, I didn't see that.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by RentACar
I agree with you. If you're a jazz guitarist, you can do everything. Even Scot Ian from Anthrax said so.

Man, Scott Ian is a twat, like if there was a twat hierarchy he'd be damn high up.

On topic; Get a new teacher.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
my guitar teacher is good but he's arrogant.he thinks he's so good that he calls himself god, but whenever he teaches the class something, he'll mess up and someone will say "God doesn't make mistakes!"
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
you pay the teacher to teach you how to play the guitar, not to tell you what music you should like/listen to. kill the guy and take the money
Quote by Moggan13
*Kicks down door*
WHO SAID RAMBO 3!!???
Maybe the kids just so bad he couldn't help himself, and wants to get rid of him.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid