Ok, I've beenlistening to a lot of Zakk Wylde lately and I keep hearing this same technique but I can't figure out how he does it. It happens when Zakk hits a note and uses a very wide vibrato and then the note seems to blend from its actual tone to a harmonic squeal. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you please tell me how he does this? Thanks.
pinch harmonics
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by magvol
pinch harmonics

Pinch Harmonics bent and vibrato'ed extensively.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Yeah but it sounds like he hits the natural note, then uses vibrato and the note turns into a harmonic. Is he doing something else while virbating the note?
Quote by NWP76
Yeah but it sounds like he hits the natural note, then uses vibrato and the note turns into a harmonic. Is he doing something else while virbating the note?

Possibly a normal note picked then a pinch harmonic performed after or during the bend.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Give me an example.

It always sounds like any pinch harmonic to me. That's what he does. Vibrato eliminates any other overtones, leaving just the one which is the harmonic (making a cleaner sound) and makes it sustain longer.

If you didn't add vibrato it would just go 'clang' and die immediately.
Hmm, that would be a touch harmonic. They come out when you touch the string (as you would a harmonic) at a certain fret (depends) with your picking hand.

Check out Paul Gilbert's Technical Difficulties on YouTube, he does them during the middle of the song.
He use pinch harmonics, hold it a little, THEN big vibrato
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Its a sort of feedback. He plays a note and vibratos it, and it seems to jump an octave, right? If you have a certain amount of gain and are close enough to your amp, this will happen.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build