I've looked around and can't really decide. I have a Ibanez Artcore Hollow Body guitar and am looking to play something either grunge like, hard rock like, or full on metal. I like my distortion either completely fuzzy or completely heavy and bass like, nothing in between.

I've been looking at the Digitech Grunge Pedal, the Distortion Factory 7, the Boss Heavy Metal, and the Digitech Metal Zone

Those seem to be in my price range, which should I get, or are there other pedals I might want to consider?
The Pit. The Movie.
scott ians pedal from digitech but i think is more than 80$ but check it out
tombst0ne designs
Digital art ,CD covers,posters,anything let me now
my gallery
Quote by tombst0ne
scott ians pedal from digitech but i think is more than 80$ but check it out

If I can somehow pull that extra $20 from somewhere I'll put it into consideration.
The Pit. The Movie.
State the amp.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
digitech metal zone? dont u mean the BOSS metal zone? :O could just be me tho, dont know so much about digitech pedals
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by CORT noob
State the amp.

Peavey 258 FX
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by lazlow325i
Electro Harmonix USA Big Muff. Get it used for like 60 bucks.

Already tried it, didn't like it.
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by magvol
digitech metal zone? dont u mean the BOSS metal zone? :O could just be me tho, dont know so much about digitech pedals

Yeah, my bad
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by Spay
Already tried it, didn't like it.

Have you tried all the variations on the Big Muff? There's sure to be one that suits you.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Have you tried all the variations on the Big Muff? There's sure to be one that suits you.

Well, my first couple of tries with Muff pedals didn't really leave me impressed. The ones the store had were extremely faulty and he couldn't get a few of them to work at all. Also, the ones that did work such as the Overdrive and Metal Muff I wasn't to pleased with, I just didn't like it. Like I said, I like mine either completley fuzzy or not at all, Muff is just to much in the middle I guess.

Or is there a Muff that I'm overlooking?
The Pit. The Movie.
you may like the grunge, i have one. although its not what i want anymore, its interesting. very grungy tone. but im replacing it with boss distortion. i have played the metal zone as well, and it has super clean distortion, i was blown away. but again not what i play. so try out some of the boss pedals, and the digitech. i recommend bringing your guitar with you to the store.

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
Quote by wazmunstr
you may like the grunge, i have one. although its not what i want anymore, its interesting. very grungy tone. but im replacing it with boss distortion. i have played the metal zone as well, and it has super clean distortion, i was blown away. but again not what i play. so try out some of the boss pedals, and the digitech. i recommend bringing your guitar with you to the store.

That's what I did. I had to say that all except the Muff pedals were miles better then my amps distortion. I've really been leaning towards the Grunge though, it's cheap and it sounds faily decent. When I finally am able to get a job next year I'll start looking into more expensive pedals.

Oh, an I'd also love to have that extremely percussive sound that sounds like a gun cocking when I palm mute, I've always been quite fond of that sound.
The Pit. The Movie.
get the metal muff fro electro-harmonix, i got one, and i love the sound, it's just what you're looing for, full on metal and it's only $90 if u get it from musician's friend.
I am ready to get flamed but I would try a Danelectro Daddy-O distortion. It will do the sounds you describe and is inexpensive. I like mine, and I use it with my AS73.
Quote by uldhppi
I am ready to get flamed but I would try a Danelectro Daddy-O distortion. It will do the sounds you describe and is inexpensive. I like mine, and I use it with my AS73.

This is a good suggestion (why the flame preparation?). Also, might want to check out the Danelectro Fab Tone distortion (note, I said Danelectro Fab Tone, not to be confused with the much-cheaper and much-stinkier Danelectro Fab) or maybe the Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion or OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. The DS-2 will probably be the only one that can get you close to full-on metal sounds, but the Fab Tone or the OS-2 will both do hard rock or grunge fine.

The sound from all of the pedals you've described is very thin and inflexible. I think you'll get sick of them before too long, particularly the Boss Heavy Metal (or Metal Zone, or whichever Boss "metal" pedal you're considering) and the DigiTech Grunge (which I particularly dislike).

Hope this helps you out.
Okay, I haven't heard of Danelectro before. I'll look into them, many thanks
The Pit. The Movie.