I was wondering what I could buy to sound like Randy Rhoads, my favorite guitarist. Maybe a certain pedal, or amp, or whatever. I just love his tone and wanted to copy it as best I could on a budget. Thanks!
You have to post a budget and what you are willing to buy, as well as what equipment you have now in order to get a decent response.
umm i know he repalced his celestion speakers in his marshall cabs with something else...but i dont know what that "something else" is at the moment
just type in randy rhoads gear under google, alot of sites have a list of what he used or what you can use to get a sound like his.
Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to post my budget and setup...right now I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul Special II Lefty, with a Fender amp(not sure what model), and I have a Digitech RP150 pedal. As far as my budget goes, my limit is probably $700 for guitar, amp, and effects, but I'm lefty so that narrows down the guitar choices. Thanks for the quick replies.
The main things in his sound in my opinon were:

1. PLEXI!
2. Humbucker on Bridge.
3. Amazingly brilliant fingers.

Seriously though, if you have any humbucker guitar and a plexi you could get it really close.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
umm i know he repalced his celestion speakers in his marshall cabs with something else...but i dont know what that "something else" is at the moment

The hair of God.
Corona Corona
Quote by xXWylde_ManXx
How much is a Plexi?

Too expensive. You could get a 18-watt plexi copy that is supposed to be excellent though. If not, I would check out other amps that do that tone like the Orange Rocker 30 and Marshall JCM 800.
Guitar:
Amplifier:
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Lightitup
Too expensive. You could get a 18-watt plexi copy that is supposed to be excellent though. If not, I would check out other amps that do that tone like the Orange Rocker 30 and Marshall JCM 800.

I've always liked the looks of Orange amps, but I've never heard them....they any good for metal?
Quote by xXWylde_ManXx
I've always liked the looks of Orange amps, but I've never heard them....they any good for metal?

I think they could pretty easily, with an OD pedal for sure.

If you are on a budget check out the Orange Tiny Terror, it is just an amp head though so you will need a cabinet too.
Guitar:
Amplifier:
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Trying to properly replicate a guitar hero's tone is largely a futile exercise unless you have a few thousand to burn.

It's better to try and get a good usable tone for your chosen styles music (within your budget).

So in your case, hard rock / metal.
Ibanez RG2570
Engl Screamer 50 Combo
Keeley Flexi TS-9
EH Metal Muff
Quote by ^Aquila^
Trying to properly replicate a guitar hero's tone is largely a futile exercise unless you have a few thousand to burn.

It's better to try and get a good usable tone for your chosen styles music (within your budget).

So in your case, hard rock / metal.

That's true. Are MXR pedals any good for hard rock/metal? Several people in this thread recommended them.
Not through a Fender Frontman, no. Get a decent amp first before wasting money on FX pedals.

Using good pedals and guitars on crap amps is like playing one of these:

On one of these:

Ibanez RG2570
Engl Screamer 50 Combo
Keeley Flexi TS-9
EH Metal Muff
Last edited by ^Aquila^ at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by ^Aquila^
Not through a Fender Frontman, no. Get a decent amp first before wasting money on FX pedals.

Using good pedals and guitars on crap amps is like playing one of these:

On one of these:

good point....
What cheap amp would you recommend?
How much you got?
Ibanez RG2570
Engl Screamer 50 Combo
Keeley Flexi TS-9
EH Metal Muff
Eh, not much....I was looking to save $300 - $600 for a guitar, because my Epi is falling apart, but my choices are pretty slim as I'm left handed. But as far as amps go, I'm not sure, probably $250 - $450.
Quote by FRDesign
1. Get an Epiphone Les Paul Studio
2. Get an MXR 10 Band EQ
3. Save up for a Plexi

forgot the distortion plus, that's really important

also the plexi will be WAAYYY too loud, go with a JCM 800, they have a master volume
Quote by British_Steal
forgot the distortion plus, that's really important

also the plexi will be WAAYYY too loud, go with a JCM 800, they have a master volume

Aren't they super expensive, though?