hi im new to the forum, i'd like some help on a guitar rebuild

recently my grandfather passed away , he was a real time shredder if you know what i mean, he could really rock out on the old guitar, he had been teaching me for some time

anyway in his will he left me his original 1962 gibson les paul, and after playing for a few weeks, i have to say, it sucks! it gives me a sterile and undesireable tone out of my mesa...and personally, i think it looks like very unattractive, like **** if you will!

i would like to re-wire, re-paint, new pickups tuners the whole nine yards, and i was hoping that maybe you fellas could give me some tips on how to turn this hunk of junk into a veritable bastion of rock power...any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance
enter the shred chamber of yingwee malmstien!!!!!

setup:
original 62 gibson les paul
EVH Eddie Van Halen frankenstein replica
mesa dual rect

uber pownage!
im not concerned with the monetary value, but the guitar looks and sounds crappy! i think my dead grandfather would much rather that i kept it and customized it then sold it! but thanks for the reply!

setup:
mesa dual rect

uber pownage!
to answer your question sashki, i am 15 years old.

setup:
mesa dual rect

uber pownage!
i personally love the sound of seymore duncan pickups, i got neck and bridge position in my wildfire. they are active pickups, which can be pretty expensive but 110% worth it.
I don't want to ruin your fun but do not do anything. In time to come you will realise what a big mistake modifiying it was. I would kill for an original 60's les paul, but like most I wouldn't touch one that has had a respray, pickups changed and other parts messed with.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
totally agree with the duncans. they even sound great on my epi LP. i can only imagine them on a real gibson.
Youve been............ THUNDERSTRUCK!!!!!!!!!
For pickups, I'd say Seymour Duncan '59 for the neck and JB for the bridge if you want passive pickups. If you play heavier music and want active pickups, I reccomend an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 85 or 89 in the neck.
Dude, I never understand Vintage guitars and stuff, but you might not understand this with the age you are at. I wouldn't tuch that guitar if I were you. It's not a hunk of junk. Your grandpa made it rock, and left it to you as he owned it. Why not keep it that way as a tribute to your departed. Yeah it's probally worth a good amount of cash, but your grandpa left it to you for a reason. I don't think it was to modifiy it, or respray it. He loved his guitar the way it was, You should love his guitar the way it is.
well thank you luke for your kind words...i am a huge fan of neo classical shred like the kind malmstien plays

setup:
mesa dual rect

uber pownage!
Quote by WickedBeast666
Dude, I never understand Vintage guitars and stuff, but you might not understand this with the age you are at. I wouldn't tuch that guitar if I were you. It's not a hunk of junk. Your grandpa made it rock, and left it to you as he owned it. Why not keep it that way as a tribute to your departed. Yeah it's probally worth a good amount of cash, but your grandpa left it to you for a reason. I don't think it was to modifiy it, or respray it. He loved his guitar the way it was, You should love his guitar the way it is.

This man is a genius.

Dude, at 15, where'd you get a Mesa and a Van Halen replica? You must be teh rich.

And I'm surprised you're saying it's crap. I've heard les pauls produce some very good shred tones. I'd still leave it the way it is, though.
Keep it original and save to buy another guitar. When you've modded it and it's perfect your playing, you will be much happier. I'm pretty sure Malmsteen doesn't play les pauls right?
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
I'm 14 and I know that a 62 les paul is NOT to be ****ed about with, age has nothing to do with it, at 10 I'd know not to **** with that!

Keep it, it doesnt sound bad, tone comes form the fingers dude, a pickup change would be passable though I think.
ive decided to keep the guitar the way it is after some pondering thank you all for the replies and have a good day, praise jesus

setup:
mesa dual rect

uber pownage!
Quote by dmannuci=SHRED
ive decided to keep the guitar the way it is after some pondering thank you all for the replies and have a good day, praise jesus

Glad to hear that man,
dude, just leave it , hang it on a wall or something and buy yourself a new guitar.
if it were mine it'd be locked up outa fear for ruining it.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by dmannuci=SHRED

Good man, I'd hate to think of a 62 les paul being modified.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Yes, let all of UG embrace it's (hopefull) smeksaynezss.
.......(_____)
.........( V )
../l-------\/
./ l 666 ll
.- ll.....ll

Evil Cow

I lurk, almost never log in, and like Hank Marvin and the Shadows.
pictures of the guitar please?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Pics please.

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]
pppppppppplllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by Metallica!
I kinda doubt you have the EVH Frankenstein Replica($25,000), and also the mesa.

Well at least it's not only me that thinks that.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."