I've been using the EMU with Cakewalk for the last few months and overall it's great but when I'm recording the program tends to freeze so that I have to stop recording and start again (not restart the program, just press the stop button and then redo the previous recording). It's starting to get pretty annoying so I was wondering if anybody new what the problem might be.

System Specs:
Athlon XP 2500+
768MB DDR SDRAM (333Mhz)
20GB+160GB HDD Drives
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
EMU 0404 USB

I also have an Audigy and onboard sound but the Audigy isn't installed and the onboard is disabled (there was some popping when they were enabled so I just disabled them im the control panel).
Its probably your processor.
You need a dual core CPU or a single at about about 2.4Ghz for running a few MIDI and audio channels at once.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
It happens even when I'm running on channel from either my mic or my amp. Even just one track.
I have only ever gotten sonar to freeze by overloading the CPU. What's the clock speed on your processor?

I advise you take your audigy out if you aren't using it, even if its not being used its best to keep it out of the way (in an anti static bag, of course). While you're in there make sure your card is insterted properly, but it still sounds to me like its your processor.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
It's not a card, it's the USB version. I figure I'll probably pop out the Audigy just to make sure but it seems kind of odd because it works fine half the time, even for long periods, and then just stops randomly during recording (and I've recorded a bunch with the Audigy and never had that kind of a problem...just a little annoying). I'll see if I can test it out on a faster computer sometime soon and see what happens.