Hi guys! This may be a dumb question, but please bear with me! One one of my electrics....the pickups are just too microphonic. Doesnt matter where I stand or anything like that, If Im not playing.....the pickup squeals. If I tap the pickup with the guitar pick.....I get a solid thud followed by a midrange hum out of the speakers. Definitely microphonic! And it dont matter what amp or anything. Solid state, tube, multi effect unit run straight into the board......it happens no matter what! This leads me to beleive they need potted.

I plan to do this myself, but here is my potentially stupid question. The copper windings are wrapped with a black cloth kinda like tape, but I dont think its tape. It appears to be glued in with a bead of some sort of glue.

Anyhow......am I supposed to try to remove this? Or should I just pot it with this cloth-like stuff in place around the windings? Im afraid to try and peel it back in fear that it will yank the coils with it. Thanks guys!
To hear what can be done with a pretty bare bones computer home studio, minimal cash and lots of time.....visit http://myspace.com/redlightcrisis I play the guitar on the tracks and take care of recording duties.
Quck update since I have educted myself a little......Im talking about the ribbon that goes around the open coil style pickups(if that helps you guys understand what Im saying more than "tape"). So sorry I was not more clear before.

In one of the online tutoriols out there for wax potting, it says that on a "gibson style" pickup....do NOT remove the tape/ribbon. They actually reccomend rubber banding this ribbon so that it does not come off during the wax potting process(from heat). The thing that threw me off was the fact that they call it a "gibson style" pickup........I assume this means any "open coil" non shielded pickup that has the ribbon around the coils. So for now Im going to assume that I dont remove it. Thanks for any input guys!
To hear what can be done with a pretty bare bones computer home studio, minimal cash and lots of time.....visit http://myspace.com/redlightcrisis I play the guitar on the tracks and take care of recording duties.