Ya, so I've got a hellraiser with the emg 85/81 pickups. Anyways my question is.. since i live in florida it gets freakin hot out and i keep my guitar in the trunk of my car (black car) quite often so it probably gets up to like 120 in that trunk I'm assuming. So will leaving it in there for an extended period of time have any chance of possibly ruining the pickups. I don't think it would but I wanna make sure, so if anyone has some experience with this particular situation it'd be appreciated.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Not sure about the pick ups but it might mess up the neck and that's be bad because aren't they thru necks?

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
im not really sure but it kinda makes sense that it would. i wouldnt experiment with it if i were you
I doubt it... But also it gets much hotter that 120 (150< in a closed car on a hot day; black or not.

If anything I'd think it would be harder on the woods than on the electronics, unless it gets wet too. I suppose if the pickups are wax-sealed or something then they could start losing that; which would allow the "squealing like a pig" feedback when you're too close to the amp. If the Pots are waxed it might cause problems there too... But again I doubt it, unless we're talking a least a couple hundred degrees.
i dont think it would, but it would almost certainly warp the neck and damage the body. i wouldnt store my car in a trunk in Florida. thats like putting ur guitar in a small oven or a kiln.
Well, I don't know if it will affect the pickups, but I'm sure that such extreme temperatures can hurt the wood cause it swells and shrinks constantly because of the temperature changes. Such stretches can have a negative effect on the tone of your guitar.
When people pot their pickups, they soak them in liquid wax at about 65C (150F), I figure if they can take that temperature they can take the inside of your car. The guitar itself on the other hand is best kept at a constant temperature, if only for your tuning.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I doubt it would do much to the guitar. The EMGs should be fine, though the plastic on it (like pickup rings) may distort in the heat slightly. Over time, or if you take it from a cold room to he trunk, it can cause your neck to need adjustment more often, but it should be fine.
You should be more worried about your neck warping and binding messing up if you have it.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Do not EVER leave your guitar in your car! I used to live in Miami year round and now just in the summer. Your pickups will be fine. (except what has already been expressed about the wax. In trunk of a black car I would not be surprised at all if the temperature got up to 200 degrees when it's 110 outside.) Your neck will warp. Your finish will develop spiderweb cracks. Bolts will loosen. Everything goes to hell. I've seen it happen.

If it does get hot in a car. Bring it inside and leave it in it's case for a long time. You're better off letting the temperature slowly equalize. Most of the destructive effects are caused by the rapid temperature change.

edit: In fact, I wouldn't put it in the trunk at all. You want it in the air conditioning.
Last edited by Blaster Bob at Sep 15, 2007,
^Yes, and when you're driving you should put it atleast buckled up in the back seat, if not in the front seat where you can stop it from falling if you have to stop suddenly.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
cover ur trunk with something that will make it cooler
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
The pickups would be the least of my concern leaving a guitar in a hot car.

Heat causes paint to crack, your body to warp, your neck to bend, possibly snapping.

The only thing active pickups and heat would be a problem is battery life. If the batteries are stored in a cooler place, they keep their charge longer.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
"batteries stored cold holding charge" why do we only need jump start in the winter?
Quote by tymatt67
"batteries stored cold holding charge" why do we only need jump start in the winter?

I've used jumper cables in the summer, if I remember what jump start is correctly.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
i've never really associated jumping a battery with the winter but when someone forgets to turn their lights off.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by tymatt67

Thats for the car batteries that you add water to the chemicals. They'll freeze in very cold temperatures. Most batteries wont though.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
well thanks for all the info, its a good thing i found this out now rather than later.
I just started to put it in the trunk when i got my new hard case, ill def keep it up front for now on tho :P
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Last edited by GNRrocka at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by GNRrocka
well thanks for all the info, its a good thing i found this out now rather than later.
I just started to put it in the trunk when i got my new hard case, ill def keep it up front for now on tho :P

If you do leave it in the trunk of your car in high temps accidentally, make sure you make the transition from high heat to cooler temperatures as smooth as possible.

Say you leave it in the car for a while, while the guitar is still in a case take it inside but put it in front of a window or something warmer than the rest of the house so it stays kinda warm but not cool. Then after about 20 minutes you can take it to a cool part of the house, wait another 20 minutes then open it.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by tymatt67

For the same reason that they hold their charge better when they're cold. The lack of thermal energy slows down the chemical reaction that generates electricity. This keeps the energy from being wasted when you don't need it, but the battery won't be able to produce power very quickly until it warms up.