Hey, I'm getting a new guitar, and I can spend around $400. I can get an epi lp custom for $400, and the hagstrom super swede for around $300. Let me know what you all think. Also, If I spend $100 on new pickups for the swede do you all think It would be better than the epi? If so can someone recommend some pickups? I play led zepplin, nirvana, SOAD, Metallica, ACDC, RATM, RHCP and stuff like that.
,Thanks!
Pickups=Gibson Burstbuckers

I own an Epi LP and my local shop has a few Hagstrom Swedes, theyre my go-to guitar when I'm in there
the tuners felt a little cheap, I think the neck is bolt on...or it at least had some kind of plate at the neck joint
pickups were average, but so are Epiphones
other than that.....nice build quality, nice material....they just look slightly diff

Swedes are a little more uniqie, and its cheaper, leaving you more money for pickups.
you decide, theyre essentially the same guitar
thanks for the reply, I think I will get the swede and spend the rest on new pick ups.. Any more recommendations?
my only question is how you getting an epiphone LP Custom for 400?? Here the standards are 399, the quilts are 499, and the custom is 699.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Well if you can get a more expensive guitar for that much, as opposed to the other one new, I'd personally go for the Epi. If there's one thing I've found out thinking I was smarter getting the cheaper guitar and using spare money for parts is that you wouldn't have to have bought those parts if you just did it right the first time. Though this is different because that one guy said they were similar, I just think you'd be better off going for the Epiphone.

I tried a Les Paul custom and it was awesome but I don't know much about the Hagstrom. The one I tried had a really good feel to it and had a nice solid feeling neck. I found the pickups on it weren't spectacular but they weren't horrid so you may not need to change them for awhile. Don't just take my word for it though try them both if you can and decide for yourself.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Or you can buy the Hagstrom and tell me how it is because I'm curious about them. Either way...
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Will do.. They have both there, I'm gonna play them today. The technician said he carries hagstroms more than epiphones now because he likes them more. I'll let you know!
I just played the Epi yesterday and compared it to the Gibson studio. The Epi was better handsdown at 1/2 the price. Almost bought the damn thing. Got a pod and Variax instead.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
OK, just got back, I bought the super swede, and I'm very happy with it. I tried this, and the epi lp custom, and I liked this one way more. Just the way it feels to me I guess, I also liked the sound on this a lot more.
Quote by colonelsanders1
OK, just got back, I bought the super swede, and I'm very happy with it. I tried this, and the epi lp custom, and I liked this one way more. Just the way it feels to me I guess, I also liked the sound on this a lot more.

Is the neck as thin as they say? I must admit the Epi LP neck was a bit on the chunky side which for me isn't much of a good thing.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Yes, the neck is a good bit thinner than the epi lp. For me it's just right . That was one of the main things that turned me away from the epi, and I just like the way the swede feels. I would really recommend this over an epi lp. I didn't try the standard though, only the custom. Anyway look on ebay for these, they go for pretty cheap, plus I think it looks much prettier than the epi.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/STRINGS-AND-THINGS-GUITAR-WHOLESALE_swede_W0QQfciZ4QQfclZ3QQfsnZSTRINGSQ20ANDQ20THINGSQ20GUITARQ20WHOLESALEQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsaselZ11963520QQsofpZ0
This is the store I bought it from locally. You could get a blem if you want. You may be able to find some better prices, I haven't checked, but these are brand new.

edit: also there isn't much difference between the swede and super swede, I think the only difference is that the super swede has a coil tap, not sure though..
Quote by scott58
I just played the Epi yesterday and compared it to the Gibson studio. The Epi was better handsdown at 1/2 the price.
To be fair, the Studio (both the Epi and Gibson versions) are utterly crap, low-end rubbish. Even just an Epi LP Standard will be better than a Gibson LP Studio... so it's not exactly the best guitar for you to compare to.
Smart choice buying the Super Swede.I have an original 71 swede and when the new ones came out I went to try one to see if 36 years had changed anything.Imagine my horror when I turned the new one over and saw the dreaded "Made in China" sticker.Suprisingly there was absolutley no difference in the weight and feel.The neck+ body are exactly like mine.They are probably one of the sturdiest fastest playing neck for that type of guitar out there.As far as the pick ups they certainly sound similar to the originals but Quality wise only time will tell. With the $100 you saved you should be able to find something good I would suggest that you only change the bridge pick up to start as the neck p/u have a very good tone to them(perfect for AC/DC sound).Also the super swede has the coil split or coil tap switch on it.

Very cool man.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
Smart choice buying the Super Swede.I have an original 71 swede and when the new ones came out I went to try one to see if 36 years had changed anything.Imagine my horror when I turned the new one over and saw the dreaded "Made in China" sticker.Suprisingly there was absolutley no difference in the weight and feel.The neck+ body are exactly like mine.They are probably one of the sturdiest fastest playing neck for that type of guitar out there.As far as the pick ups they certainly sound similar to the originals but Quality wise only time will tell. With the $100 you saved you should be able to find something good I would suggest that you only change the bridge pick up to start as the neck p/u have a very good tone to them(perfect for AC/DC sound).Also the super swede has the coil split or coil tap switch on it.

Very cool man.

Very awesome, I was wondering if these were as good as the old ones.. I really love this guitar . I think the pickups are pretty nice right now, I might upgrade later on though. Very cool to see someone else with this awesome guitar .
,Thanks
You might wanna take a look at these Michael Kelly Patriots.

Impeccably well built, good pickups, very comfortable necks, and damned sexy to boot.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Go to www.michaelkellyguitars.com and then click on "Dealers."

Enter your zip code and VOILA! It'll tell you
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.