i see that phrase a LOT and idk about anyone else but i honestly cant really fathom what it means. I mean maybe im a very superficial person, but the way i act changes drastically depending on the situation im in, and the people im with. Even if im "being a teenager" with my friends im only expressing a certain part of my personality, actually a very small part of it. i guess i just really dont have any concrete sense of myself as i act around others.

I guess im just saying when somebody tells me to just "be myself" thats not telling me anything at all... anyone else feel this way?
they just say that to sound wise...

its bullsh*t...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Hey man, just be yourself, and things will work out fine. kthxbai.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
If I told my mate to "be himself" instead of "lie like hell" he wouldn't have got laid with that stunning girl the other night. It's a useless phrase.
it rly is very....abstract. not the most specific thing in the world, but if ur not acting fake or being the opposite of who u are, its kinda stupid. it is used alot, almost too much imo. it seems like ppl should kno it and it shouldnt need to be told.
It means that if you pretend to be someone else, you'll eventually find someone who hates that kind of person, and you can't tell them "I'm not really like that" because they won't believe you. So the key is to "be yourself" either way there'll be people who don't like you because of how you act, so why bother trying to keep up a charade as well?
I don't believe that anyone really shows their true selves, or their true personality...

we all cover ourselves with masks, metaphorically speaking, to hide who we really are...

I think that you can never really know someone, no matter how close you are to them, because you simply cannot get in their head... It all just comes down to trust i suppose...

If everyone took "just be yourself" seriously, i believe the world would be a horrible place, but people would definately know what others thought of them...

meh

/rant
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
Quote by Marrklarr
i see that phrase a LOT and idk about anyone else but i honestly cant really fathom what it means. I mean maybe im a very superficial person, but the way i act changes drastically depending on the situation im in, and the people im with. Even if im "being a teenager" with my friends im only expressing a certain part of my personality, actually a very small part of it. i guess i just really dont have any concrete sense of myself as i act around others.

I guess im just saying when somebody tells me to just "be myself" thats not telling me anything at all... anyone else feel this way?

o_O
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by x_thurston_x
they just say that to sound wise...

its bullsh*t...

Its not bull**** at all.

Its quite true, because who likes someone that is always acting fake around different people. I know id like to act normal around my wife and not have to put on this cover up for how many years once im married.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Once you get over the bullpooping part you can be yourself but very rarely at first.

All my good friends I'm 'myself' with.
the problem is your gay
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
Quote by myself101
o_O

Fathom: the distance from fingertip to fingertip on a pair of outstretched arms?

eh?

EH?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by demonmouse500
It means that if you pretend to be someone else, you'll eventually find someone who hates that kind of person, and you can't tell them "I'm not really like that" because they won't believe you. So the key is to "be yourself" either way there'll be people who don't like you because of how you act, so why bother trying to keep up a charade as well?

But maybe pretending to be someone else is who you are.
Quote by darkstar2466
Fathom: the distance from fingertip to fingertip on a pair of outstretched arms?

eh?

EH?

Ok.

Quote by threadstarter
i see that phrase a LOT and idk about anyone else but i honestly cant really fathom what it means

So the threadstarter cant distance from fingertip to fingertip on a pair of outstretched arms what it means?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
read a book. seriously.

EDIT: from dictionary.com:

3. to penetrate to the truth of; comprehend; understand: to fathom someone's motives.
Last edited by Marrklarr at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by AthenasGhost
But maybe pretending to be someone else is who you are.

If that were the case you'd have no personality. Everyone develops their own unique personality with experiences throughout their life, so it's impossible.
Everyone has their own personality, buy I defy you to find anyone who doesn't act differently among different groups of people. You will always make sure to never bring up the side of you that you know some of your friends hate, while another group may love that characteristic.
Quote by Marrklarr

Of course.

We are different people in different situations. All of them still you. Once you realise that, you can adapt to most social situations.

I mean, amongst friends, I'm the loud, lairy one who drinks till they fall over (In fact, all my pals are like that), yet amongst academic types, I can more than hold my own in civilised debate.

The fact that I change to suit different situations doesn't detract from who I am.
Terms and Conditions apply.
yeah im not saying people dont act differently from others, im saying definition of SELF is much broader than what can be expressed in one given situation
Quote by Marrklarr
yeah im not saying people dont act differently from others, im saying definition of SELF is much broader than what can be expressed in one given situation

Spot on.

'Yourself' encompasses all of these different pseudo-personalities to make one whole.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by Marrklarr
read a book. seriously.

EDIT: from dictionary.com:

3. to penetrate to the truth of; comprehend; understand: to fathom someone's motives.

So you don't understand what "be yourself means"?

o_O
<//////>~
Quote by Marrklarr

What else are they going to say?..'when talking to Jocks put on your macho persona and talk mindlessly about football?' You have to have a happy medium really, i used to always be brutally honest and try to be this pseudo rockstar at school but really you are just another kid and the best thing you can do in most situations is not talk **** constantly-say less and you will be more popular
I think that someone who says that is just trying to say like, "Just act natural, pretend nothing different is going on."

personally, I find it to be the worst advice somebody can give you, because most of the time you're in a high pressure situation it's impossible to just "be yourself".
(But the song "Be Yourself" by Audioslave owns)
Quote by J.A.M
On a previous occasion, a middle aged black african man proceeded to remove my betrothed bicycle from my possession.

Quote by silent caution
sex with a pregnant woman? isnt that like putting gas in car you already wrecked?
Just be yourself dude.

But serously, you have no real you? Sucks for you man.
Unfortunetly, you have "92% of teens like rap. Put this in your sig if you dont give a ****." which is basically advertising your open mindedness.

Which makes me mad. So I won't comment on this thread. =]
Quote by magnus_maximus
Pfft. The more we try to be ourselves, the more we're just like everyone else, ultimately. After all, all we are is a regurgitation of the influences of all those around us. Creativity and adaptability aren't so different.

Deep.
But yeah, I agree with TS. I'm sure as hell act different around adults than I do my friends, but I don't think my integrity suffers because of it.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by magnus_maximus
Pfft. The more we try to be ourselves, the more we're just like everyone else, ultimately. After all, all we are is a regurgitation of the influences of all those around us. Creativity and adaptability aren't so different.

And they also are all mere compilations of our influences also. It's kind of sad to think about. We all make who we all are. When you walk up to someone, the choice you make between telling them a joke or making fun of them has a huge impact on their psyche, and by default, their personality. It also can effect your personality. (kind of a butterfly effect). Human ingenuity and as you said, creativity, is only imitation in a different form.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by magnus_maximus

But everyone is the result of slightly different influences and experiences, thus creating billions of unique individuals. Your personality is naturally as unique as your DNA, if everyone were themselves no two people could possibly be the same.