hello,

i have been playing guitar for a couple years now and have always taught myself(aside from help from friends and family here and there) I know how to tune,play chords and im starting to learn scales. i always just played songs from tab to get better but im wondering exactly what to learn first and then after that and exc. whenever i look at beginers stuff its stuff like how to tune and what a chord is and super easy stuff but other lessons i find are over my head.

thanks,
Cephy
Learn smoke on the water- deep purple, 7 nation army- white stripes, or iron man- black sabbath
Don't worry about things being too hard, what you need to do is find things that you can't do yet, then keep on practicing until you get it. Don't spend all your time doing so-called "beginner" things, you'll never get better if you don't push yourself. But mostly, practice, practice, practice!
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
ok cool im just trying to figured out what i can do to get better....what should i practice, practice, practice?
Lol you could try hammer on pull offs... then after u got that nailed try tapping.
Well, find things that you want to be able to do, for example, if you like tapping, then find songs with tapping in them, such as Eddie Van Halen. Other ideas might be legato, speedpicking, bending, sweep picking, things like that. And, of course, learning music theory (scales, modes) will help immensely, I try to practice all the modes for at least 10-30 minutes a day. First learn the basic shape, look it up online somewhere, then practice it until you memorize it. Once you've got it down, try improvising with it. Just some suggestions...
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
Start alternate picking NOW!

And never be daunted out of trying to learn guitar solos. They aren't big monumental tasks, they are just parts of the song. Never see a solo and think "Oop, solo, too hard". Work on bending, hammer ons and pulloffs, vibrato, etc.

Have fun! Keep it interesting, and never do things that you aren't enjoying or else you won't be motivated to keep going.
Learn your major scale inside and out. From there learning how to construct chords, arpeggios, and other scales(and lots of other things) become alot easier to understand.

For technical practice i would suggest analyzing you alternate picking, applying scales to some jam tracks, jamcenter.com has some tracks and it will give you some suggested scales to practice over the tracks with. There are plenty of techniques you can practice like legato, sweeping, arpeggiating(sp)(i suggest this one), tapping and so on. Don't kill yourself trying to learn all these things though, get a good handle on one then add a new one to your practice and so on.

Make time for some music theory too. You don't need to learn every thing, but the basics will really help you do a lot of new things to your music. Most likely after you learn the basics you will want to learn more anyways, it really is a cool subject.

Last thing i would like to say, no matter how good you maybe at something, keep practicing it. There will always be something you will discover that you can work on and improve.
epic7734