I need an amp for my rock band. I want something that will be able to get a real nice crunchy sound without turning into full on metal distortion.

I want it to have 3 channels (it's a preference, or for lack of an even better word, a luxury)

All with separate EQ's (if possible)

Clean channel doesn't have to be good.. But it has to be usable. The crunch channel is pretty vital as my band is now focusing on a more "general" rock sorta thing.

And I wanna be able to get a nice metal tone out of the third channel without having to hook up pedals.

This is also on a budget. I am willing to go used, and would prefer a 212 combo.

I'm thinking maybe a Marshall TSL122? Relatively cheap over here in Merry Ol' England.
The TSL122 combo would meet your needs however.

a) Its 100 watts of tube power. Very hard to overdrive the power-amp tubes without becoming deaf.
b) It would be a heavy bastard. My TSL601 (60 watt combo 1x12) weighs 30kg. Im guessing the TSL122 would weigh 40kg.
budget??

and yes marshall/orange (i've heard) do that sound well

i have a tsl60 head
its alright but i hear jcm800/900s are alot better (but more £££
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Tech21 tradmark300!!

or a Hughs and Kettner
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Jsx?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Options for three channel amps are pretty limited, however buy a 2-channel amp with an overdrive or EQ pedal and hey presto, 3 channels. Often thats a lot cheaper thasn stumping up for a 3 channel amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ENGL Screamer? Only 1x12 but its nicer than the TSL.

Or maybe an Orange Tiny Terror and a 2x12" cab, which incidentally would be more portable than a 2x12" combo imo.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
rocker 30 might be what you need... but for metal i would suggest just getting the foot switch as well as an od and you can get what ever you want out of the orange
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Mesa Mark IV.. nice clean tone on rhythm 1, rock / blues crunch on rhythm 2, and metal on lead

I've heard it gets expensive over in Europe though...
I agree with the chaps above proposing Tech21, Hughs and Kettner and ENGL.
Marshall and Orange won't get the cleans and metal tone you are after, no matter how good the crunch channel might be...
Also be sure to check Randall, Laney, Ashdown etc...
Also 2 channel amps with boost or voicing function (for channel 2) might do it for you...
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
Buy a one channel amp, the Peavey Windsor and a 2x12 cab. It's everything you need. IMO, you don't seem like you need a 2 channel amp, but you could hook up an A/B/Y box to the high and low gain inputs.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^ that doesn't work

When you have more than one input being used, it's only being used on the low input. Not %100 sure how it works, you'd have to ask an electrician or amp modder.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Sendrith
^ that doesn't work

When you have more than one input being used, it's only being used on the low input. Not %100 sure how it works, you'd have to ask an electrician or amp modder.

Yes it does. They won't be used at the same time.

READ: A/B/Y box. you don't need them both on, just one at a time.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

laney tt combo? that'd be likely what i'd pick for those tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by REPOMAN
Mesa Mark IV.. nice clean tone on rhythm 1, rock / blues crunch on rhythm 2, and metal on lead

Yeah man £2000 is just out of my budget
Quote by Dave_Mc
laney tt combo? that'd be likely what i'd pick for those tones.

I've heard of them.. But I've NEVER seen one in a store :/
Quote by Untitled001
Yeah man £2000 is just out of my budget

Whoa dude, so they really are ridiculous over there. Here you can find them for a little over a grand on ebay, 2000 pounds is what, $4k?
Quote by REPOMAN
Whoa dude, so they really are ridiculous over there. Here you can find them for a little over a grand on ebay, 2000 pounds is what, $4k?

About that, yeah..

Nah my budget is probably about £500. I'll try to save some more, but I'm already spending money before I have it so it's gonna be a bit difficult.
an ENGL screamer off of thomann.de only an extra £88
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by REPOMAN

In the US the Mark IV is like $2000, which is about £1000

In the UK the Mark IV is £2000, which is $4000

ALOT
Quote by Untitled001
I've heard of them.. But I've NEVER seen one in a store :/

yep, they are quite awkward to find... wenbley guitar centre normally has the head versions, but i haven't seen the combos anywhere... probably getting to be a bit over budget too...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The TT is a great choice. Great clean, crunch and distortion channel.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Reincaster
Yes it does. They won't be used at the same time.

READ: A/B/Y box. you don't need them both on, just one at a time.

I guess what he means is that in some amps if you have cables plugged in both high and low gain inputs, then the amp selects automatically the low-gain input, no matter if you select B in the ABY box, the amp will be in input A mode, where you'll have no signal in that case if you try to select input B...
maybe i got it all wrong though...
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
Quote by Jezuzzz
I guess what he means is that in some amps if you have cables plugged in both high and low gain inputs, then the amp selects automatically the low-gain input, no matter if you select B in the ABY box, the amp will be in input A mode, where you'll have no signal in that case if you try to select input B...
maybe i got it all wrong though...

EVEN if there is a cable in the amp's other input, if there is nothing at the other end of the cable to complete the circuit, it would act as though it wasn't there. When the A/B box switches it off, there is no signal, none, the circuit is broken, an instrument cable is basically just two wires. If there isn't anything at the end to complete the circuit, then the amp wouldn't do anything different.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

^At's are good. The ST's have ok OD channels, but the cleans break up very early.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

What I said was because I was told so by Kerry, one of the most knowledgeable people about electronics on this website. I posted here because I was asking about an A/B for a Windsor.

So talk to an electrician?
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Sendrith
What I said was because I was told so by Kerry, one of the most knowledgeable people about electronics on this website. I posted here because I was asking about an A/B for a Windsor.

So talk to an electrician?

Kerry knows as well as I do what I'm talking about.

You mixed up what he was talking about. I know that he meant when you have two Instruments/microphones plugged into the two inputs at the same time, they will both act as low gain. But in an A/B switch, it will not complete both circuits, only one will be active, and the other circuit will not be completed.

I am an electrician, and I took AP Physics C in high school, and scored a 5 on my AP test.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Kerry's message

"The A/B or A/B/Y will not damage the amplifier, but it may not work how you want. See, tube amps use jacks called Cliff jacks. These are switching jacks which means when you plug into them, it switches them on. So if you were to connect an A/B or A/B/Y switch to both of those jacks, it will switch both in automatically. This happens with my 18watt plexi. But I can use the switch to go between the two channels of my 18watt. The only way that I would be able to tell you if it will work is if I were to get a schematic of the amp which isnt yet available online since its so new."

I think thats mybad

You are win Beer on me
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
With my older JCM2203, it doesnt work like that, nor does it have cliff jacks.

Cliff jacks are generally used in newer marshall amps, while I have seen other amps that don't.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

So, there is no problem if the ABY uses 1:1 transformers, and no problem with ABY boxes that use some active cirrcuit with "transistors" and IC's as a buffer and link the signal directly (no transformers)...
www.High-Gain.com