Hey guys... I been playing for almost a year now... and earlier today I was at a party and there was an acoustic and needless to say... I can see now why only playing heavy metal is really bad... FAILS. I had all my open chords to back me up but I didn't know any recognizable ones, Any suggestions for popular party songs? Please don't say Stairway To Heaven please!
Wonderwall
Imagine
Love Will Tear Us Apart

For the legendary songs...not too sure about which popular songs to learn...depends where you're from really
Well, there's always Sta... nevermind.
Try to learn some Jack Johnson, it could help immensely with your acoustic playing. Pretty simple playing, but sounds great. Maybe some John Mayer songs as well. These aren't really open chord songs, but they should help a lot.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
Last edited by Zephyyr at Sep 15, 2007,
Or you could bulk up on your music theory, learn about chord progressions in different modes and you could just improvise.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
Quote by Zephyyr
Or you could bulk up on your music theory, learn about chord progressions in different modes and you could just improvise.

Mhm... that I definitely haven't figured out yet
Just play some random 7th chords and then follow it up with some 7th arpeggios within the scale/mode and the average guy with be like WOAH
Lol, music theory has me stumped........, but i'd have to agree with Zephyyr, all the good guitarist i know know music theory like it's the back of their hand.
Don't learn Jack Johnson, Oasis, and all those other horrible guitarists. How bout learn some Rock N' Roll All Nite or Shock Me by KISS, those are much better open chord songs.
I got wonderwall pretty quick! all I need is a capo now! All definitely try those KISS songs thanks guys... keep em coming
There are acoustic songs that aren't just open chords. Boxcar Race has two that are acoustic but use bar chords... "There Is" and "Letter to God"... but one open chord song i've found to work really well is "Good Ridance" by Greenday. The perfect acoustic party song. Everyone knows that one.
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.