Page 1 of 4
This applies to any famous musician:

After reading youtube comments (yes, I know; some aren't well-thought out), when looking at musicians who play extremely complex music (Ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY ), often times people will say (and I've heard this countless times) "He's just technical, and puts no feeling into it".

Okay, I don't know about you, but for musicians to play these pieces, they have studied hours a day, for years of their life, and have been constantly practicing to achieve their skills. I don't know about you, but I personally think they must have had a passion (or at least a very high fascination) to achieve what they have become.

Now, I hate the music of Yngwie Malmsteen. I have my reasons as to why I can't stand his music (which I won't share in this post), but even I have to admit that when people say he puts no feeling into his guitar-playing (which I have seen often here), I find that idea absurd and false.

Does anybody else have any thoughts? Maybe there is something I'm missing about the arguements I'm referring to?
Complete agreement.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Just because these guys aren't crying when they play, doesn't mean they ain't playing with feeling.

I personally am not a fan of "solos", I'd much rather hear a catchy melody tbh
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
malmsteen is a guitar god, but yeah, he focuses on speed and its basically the same thing over and over again. i still respect his techniques.
but maybe you're referring to music that has no 'feeling' as like emotional? or just people who play and thrash and sing meaningless lyrics. i dunno
There is a difference between devotion and feeling. What you are describing is devotion, not feeling.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
There is a difference between devotion and feeling. What you are describing is devotion, not feeling.

elaborate.

EDIT:anyone who has been this devoted is bound to have had the passion and the feeling for music.

i dont like yngwie either but i htink its absured aswell.e
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by x0rsist
elaborate.

EDIT:anyone who has been this devoted is bound to have had the passion and the feleing for music.

Read the first two paragraphs of the Thread Starter's post. My quote needs no explanation
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

i agree totally that they put feeling in it

i just can connect in thee feeling better to stuff that is not quite as shredness and a little slower and stylish(imo)
dude.......
Quote by Harmonius
The definition of "feeling" that I am referring to is this:
"To be emotionally affected by"
I personally believe that to give an extreme devotion towards music, some form of emotional affection towards the art is a necessity to the musican.
Quote by x0rsist
elaborate.

EDIT:anyone who has been this devoted is bound to have had the passion and the feeling for music.

I disagree.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Oh man, I can't stand people like that. I chew them out everytime I hear that. It's ridiculous. and good point Yakult and Madcap. They just let the music speak for itself. It doesn't need to be blown out of proportion.
Agreed.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Yes, I've never been a huge fan of technical players, like Gilbert and Malmsteen (Not to say that I don't like them at all). I admit, they have amazing talent, but most of the time they have no feeling, there's no enjoyment in listening to it. I do think that that piano player in the video has emotion in his music, though... not necessarily very much, but it's there.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
that example you gave TS was insane. just being able to play such a piece is a great achievement. if i could play that piece flawlessly, i certainly wouldn't care about how much emotion i put into it.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
it's not possible to have "no feeling" in a piece of music...anyone who performs/writes music has at least some amount of feeling and emotion invested into that music

i do find it a bit odd that you posted a piano piece as an example on a guitar forum but whatever

btw...i think it's funny that unless a solo has dozens of bends it's considered to have no feeling
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Last edited by RageAgainst... at Sep 15, 2007,
**** feeling if you can play that good
the people who say something lacks feeling because its technical are usually just jealous of the fact they cant play half as good
Look at this

Absolutely beautiful. Gives me goosebumps every time he hits the high C at the end.

You have to be immense to perform this piece this well, not to mention an absolutely blessed voice to have that vocal range.
Learning to play something note wise is different to playing with the colours of the instrument. A lot of these so called guys who dont play with 'feeling' are more like "look what I can play..." those who do have an emotional connection to the instrument, let every note sing ect. 5 notes by someone like David Gilmour says more to me than some one like michael angelo can do in 1000, no mater how many hours he spent learning it.
Thats my opinoin anyway.
I hold a lot of respect at those technical players (no need to name them Im sure you know who im talking about) but I dont enjoy listening to it.
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Last edited by Master Shake at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by Master Shake
Learning to play something note wise is different to playing with the colours of the instrument. A lot of these so called guys who dont play with 'feeling' are more like "look what I can play..." those who do have an emotional connection to the instrument, let every note sing ect. 5 notes by someone like David Gilmour says more to me than some one like michael angelo can do in 1000, no mater how many hours he spent learning it.

QFT.

Devotion =/= Feeling
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by RageAgainst...
it's not possible to have "no feeling" in a piece of music...anyone who performs/writes music has at least some amount of feeling and emotion invested into that music

i do find it a bit odd that you posted a piano piece as an example on a guitar forum but whatever

btw...i think it's funny that unless a solo has dozens of bends it's considered to have no feeling
Eh...Pianists, guitarists, violinists; They're all musicians.

Nonetheless I also like that last statement you said. I have a feeling many people might think that way.
Quote by Master Shake
Nonetheless, I still believe they have to have some feeling towards their music. Maybe speed "says more" to Michael Angelo Batio than it does to you.
Feeling means different things to different people. I personally couldn't find any redeeming factor in, say, Fall Out Boy's music. A lot of people claim they are great lyricists and have good melodies, but to me, it just sounds tacky and false. Now, a band like The Libertines on the other hand, have put me through more emotions than any other. They're not amazing musicians at all, but they just had a classic swagger and bravado about them that made that irrelevant to me. Other people would completely disagree of course, and they're well entitled to, but the fact is that different music can inspire different feelings in people, and it doesn't take a genius to tell which musicians are being truly sincere about their art.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by The Madcap
Eh...Pianists, guitarists, violinists; They're all musicians.

Nonetheless I also like that last statement you said. I have a feeling many people might think that way.
i just would've thought you'd give some "shred" guitarist as an example as those are the musicians who usually have the "no feeling" argument pointed in their direction
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
I'm inclined to agree.

People express their feelings in different ways. People also have different feelings to begin with. Just because a player doesn't make great wah faces like Vai doesn't mean they don't feel the song.
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
I think feeling comes a lot more from the composer of a piece than the performer, especially in classical music. It all depends on how you define "feeling". A person can certainly put a lot of passion into the practice and preparation of a piece of music, but is she/he really expressing themselves when the music was written by someone else?
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by RageAgainst...
i just would've thought you'd give some "shred" guitarist as an example as those are the musicians who usually have the "no feeling" argument pointed in their direction
Yeah, but I also said right before before the link the words "Extremely complex", and that piece is more complex than shred, but that looking back the shred example might have also proven my point better.
Quote by Wayward_Son
I think feeling comes a lot more from the composer of a piece than the performer, especially in classical music. It all depends on how you define "feeling". A person can certainly put a lot of passion into the practice and preparation of a piece of music, but is she/he really expressing themselves when the music was written by someone else?
Perhaps they are expressing themselves as an appreciator.
Quote by The Madcap
Nonetheless, I still believe they have to have some feeling towards their music. Maybe speed "says more" to Michael Angelo Batio than it does to you.

I dont doubt they have some feeling but to me they sound some what false, there solos bore me ect. As I said in my edited post I respect them but I dont enjoy listening to them.
Thats why Ritchie Blackmore is my favourite guitarist, he has both great technical abilty and also plays with his heart. I dont think hes the best at either but a nice join in the middle.
I prefer good structure to a solo, good melodies and speed can be used to facilitate emotion to but generally thats all these guys use and well IMO they sound like crap a lot of the time.
Its more a show off fest than a solo
Stupid.

Even Buckethead, who makes it a point to give his music a cold, unfeeling and robotic feel gives off the emotion of pure lack of emotion.
Dickless.
Anyone who says shred has no feeling just needs to listen to For The Love Of God. I used to be one of those people, but after that, I just kind of shut the **** up. It blew my mind how beautiful Steve Vai's music is.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Feeling can (and almost always does) make up for technical ability. I'd rather listen to catchy riffs ands breaks more than some mispositioned, unnecessary bloated solo. But it's also nice to be able to do flash things on the guitar. It's obvious that they do have feeling, being able to do those types of things takes alot of diligence and practice.
Last edited by thewho65 at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Stupid.

Even Buckethead, who makes it a point to give his music a cold, unfeeling and robotic feel gives off the emotion of pure lack of emotion.

Depends on what album(Buckethead's) actually.

Meh, if you got those fancy chops that make people shit bricks, then show 'em. Just because you can't play by half of Paul Gilbert's speed, doesn't mean he plays without feeling
Some people are moved by painting, others by movies, others by music. Different people different catharsis. Some people have that unique catharsis with 2000000bpm and crazy shred and others by poppunk songs, not everybody is the same. Music is art. Art is expression from the soul, therefore it has feeling, wether you understand it or not.
Any one who says all shredders dont play with feeling is..... just the dumbest thing i heard. You cant put some group of guys who play a certain way in a seperate musical category to do with ablity.

As I said I like Blackmore and he can still sound emotive while quite technicall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tRp7-wes1Y
not the best version but get the point
Quote by The Madcap

That's absoultely right! I'm so sick of people classifying "emotion" as Steve Vai faces, extensive vibrato, and more than enough bends. Emotion in music is what the piece makes the artist feel. It's impossible to make music without it having feeling. Even if it has no feeling to you, it has feeling to the artist.
Last edited by Slash 602 at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by CallmeTravis
Also, this is simply beautiful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg

I never enjoyed that style of songwriting. It seems too much like he is just soloing over a cheap backing track. I enjoy the styles in Cacophony's music and Paul Gilberts music more because it is more structured and feels less wankish, despite the very emotional Steve Vai.
Quote by Vantage
Depends on what album(Buckethead's) actually.

Meh, if you got those fancy chops that make people shit bricks, then show 'em. Just because you can't play by half of Paul Gilbert's speed, doesn't mean he plays without feeling

Yeah good point, but I'm talking about stuff like Stun Operator or The Ballad of Buckethead solo.
Dickless.
Page 1 of 4