So The Church I play for wants me to have a more epic, huge, spacious, cathedraly sound after hearing some dude use a reverse delay, and an ocean of reverb on some song, and since they sign my checks, it is now my priority to nail this sound. You know that sound that pretty much every (white) contemporary christian band uses, where they play Em7- C- G -D all while holding a D and G on the top two strings... Anyway, what reverb pedals would you recommend to acheive this ocean of sound my employers hanker after? I'm guessing it would have to be something digital, and most likely not a Holy grail. But then, i've never been much of a reverb guy so I wouldn't really know. I used to have a Boss RV-3 back in the day and it was pretty good, but that's been discontinued and I've heard bad things about subsequent Boss reverbs. What about the Line 6 tonecore Verbzilla? I'm looking at it now. it seems capable of what I'm going for. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists
Holy grail would be ironically perfect for a church band. Line6 makes superb products from my experience. What i suggest you do is take your amp and guitar in to your closest GuitarCenter and try out every pedal they have. Tell the sales guy that you are definitely going to buy a pedal from him and he wont mind anything you do. Testing it out yourself with your own equipment is the only way to be sure you get what sound you need.
damn! i was gonna say the holy grail as the name kinda fits the whole curch thingy lol.... plus its a sweet reverb
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
holy grail definitely

and you should probably check out a chorus pedal as well (small clone is great)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
you should get a second identical amp or maybe a stereo head and 2 cabs and set up a stereo delay with some chorus and reverb. that'd sound decently epic.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
id say the boss rv-5, the holy grail to me sounds kind of tinny/subtle. the boss has alot more depth. i also compared the boss rv-5 to a line 6 verbzilla and the verbzilla had some cool features but the boss's tone just beat it, it is a lot more thick and lush. i really dont see why they get called digital and sterile around here, if anything i thing the holy grail is sterile.
I'd check out a reverb, chorus, and delay at your local music shop. Any particular reason you don't think the Holy Grail would work? Its a really nice reverb.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I would go with a delay and set it with a fairly quick respose, similar to reverb but a bit more of an echo. It gives you a more natural sound.

Nothing beats the spring reverbs in Mesa Boogies and Fender amps though.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've Got a Reverse Delay and a Chorus already. I do use a fender amp at the church, but When I say they want an ocean, I mean an OCEAN. besides, I can't keep my amp's reverb on all the time, because it is actually an Urban gospel church I play at, so any song In which I'm not going to be doing this, I would most likely be funk wah-ing it up, and therefore i can't have the amp reverb muddiying up my percussive stylings I was just assuming that the holy grail wouldn't work because every time I've heard somebody use one, it sounded very short and tinny. I need a lush, all out HUGE, clean, shimmery sound. Oh, and they're going to pay for it, so price isn't really an issue, but let's keep this within the realms of reason. No Beast Modulator 7000 Rack unit with 7 12 AX47's in it that control's the rate of the earth's revolution and the temperature of the sun...

Quote by affinity_strat
I've Got a Reverse Delay and a Chorus already. I do use a fender amp at the church, but When I say they want an ocean, I mean an OCEAN. besides, I can't keep my amp's reverb on all the time, because it is actually an Urban gospel church I play at, so any song In which I'm not going to be doing this, I would most likely be funk wah-ing it up, and therefore i can't have the amp reverb muddiying up my percussive stylings I was just assuming that the holy grail wouldn't work because every time I've heard somebody use one, it sounded very short and tinny. I need a lush, all out HUGE, clean, shimmery sound. Oh, and they're going to pay for it, so price isn't really an issue, but let's keep this within the realms of reason. No Beast Modulator 7000 Rack unit with 7 12 AX47's in it that control's the rate of the earth's revolution and the temperature of the sun...

dude, i feel the same way abuot the grail, i really think you should try out the rv-5
Holy grail + hall reverb setting + knob set at 12 o' clock is pretty much your "playing in a big empty cathedral sound" with ease.
The "short tinny" sound you're descirbing comes from the spring reverb setting, that's how it's supposed to be, surfy and deep, the hall setting just opens up your sound for miles. Plus flerb is a pretty sweet setting.
Maybe the olier grail/holiest grail is worth a look.
I mean, I honestly can't name a better reverb pedal, all the crap that boss and everytone else ships out is just lifeless and uninspiring, despite the HG being a digital pedal its very natural sounding..
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 16, 2007,
Papersun, I've actually got a Visual sound Liquid Chorus coming on the way for myself. Sorry about your football team. My school team got the crap beaten out of them last friday too. It was bad, so bad that every now and then someone would glace at the scoreboard and say "Damn! when did they score again?"

Quote by papersun87
I would actually recommend a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus & Echo. The sound you describe sounds a lot like . . . well . . . the sound it makes.

Sorry, it's late and my favorite football team just got the crap kicked out of them.

I agree with this guy. However, that plus a Boss RV-5 would be pretty intence as well, if you have more money to burn.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
You should get the Holy Grail, but you need to be aware of the buzz and hiss it creates even when going through a clean channel.
Quote by papersun87
I would actually recommend a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus & Echo. The sound you describe sounds a lot like . . . well . . . the sound it makes.

Sorry, it's late and my favorite football team just got the crap kicked out of them.

H2O it's called.

I have one and it's definetly worth checking out.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
if you're playing in a church and you've got a cranked reverb pedal, the two decaying sounds are going to melt together and sound like mush. Try a delay pedal, a chorus, flanger, anything to to get thicker more lush signal. Or try two amps
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Buy three or four delay pedals and run them all together? Or just trade in your guitar for a pipe organ?
I solved the problem with an H20 and DD-6. I use the reverse function on the DD-6, set about 600ms of delay repeating once only on the H2O, and I'm set. That Visual Sound is an Awesome pedal I must say.

The Verbzilla has a hall setting that acts like a cathedral-type reverb. No buzzing either.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah