I play in a band at church and mess around with my friends on the weekends... I own a taylor t5 and a fender strat... I need a good amp that can hold up to some real heavy sounding stuff and some good clean tones... VOX, Marshall, crate? Any ideas?.. and how are the Ernie ball earthwood rock and blues strings?
i recently bought the spiderIII line 6 and it's been sounding awesome for both distortion and clean sounds. Keep in mind that it's only $100 roughly so it's not exactly top of the line, but for that price you will be surprised with the kind of sound you can get
I've got this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276
Which, I think, is what the previous poster mentioned. It doesn't do really grindy hard tones, but has good smooth high-distortion and good clean tones. And it's really loud. Really loud
Quote by the strikes
Banned for giving me a laugh!

Quote by nrc141
another fine example of natural selection not quite working fast enough...

Quote by Twist of fate
Oh Jesus haha
I can't wait for the day we can make superbombs from amp

^You player twist of fate!
Name your price range!

And I'm going to say not to go with the spider, I don't like it in any application.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
2late2know - you will get flamed for having that amp around here. i personally have no problems with it, but no one around here really likes that amp.

i like line 6's stuff, but try out the vox valvetronix series. that's going to be your most versatile. or, if you can get your hands on a used line 6 ax2 212, go for that too. they're great.

i use the below setup in my sig at my church and in my hardcore band, with the aux in of the ax2 212 for a perfectly unmodified signal. works great.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by DougC84
2late2know - you will get flamed for having that amp around here. i personally have no problems with it, but no one around here really likes that amp.

i like line 6's stuff, but try out the vox valvetronix series. that's going to be your most versatile. or, if you can get your hands on a used line 6 ax2 212, go for that too. they're great.

but if you're planning to spend more try an AC by vox or maybe a tiny terror by orange

*fixed
I have a Vox AD30VT, and It has some GREAT cleans and good high distortion. I have a kind of crappy guitar, so at high gain, I have A LOT of noise, but a better guitar (such as your strat) would work fine with it. And I use Ernie ball hybrid slinkies and I really like them. But Vox amps are really nice, and not too pricey, and LOUD. Also, since it is a hybrid amp, at high volumes, it doesnt sound like crap, it actually sounds good at high volumes, and slightly overdriven.
i have that line 6 mentioned...

i would never use it to play live, it's only value is as a lightweight practice amp with a good variety of effects to experiment with.

the sound you get out of it is garbage though.

but since you play at a church, i wouldn't worry about going big, you'll probably get mic'd no matter what anyway. so don't worry about how much power you can get out of it.
Quote by benjammin21
I play in a band at church and mess around with my friends on the weekends... I own a taylor t5 and a fender strat... I need a good amp that can hold up to some real heavy sounding stuff and some good clean tones... VOX, Marshall, crate? Any ideas?.. and how are the Ernie ball earthwood rock and blues strings?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V8-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825

Palomino V8... 'nuff said.

The strings sounded quite nice to me, but strings are 100% personal choices.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.