Page 3 of 29
Quote by Terror Kovenant
Slayer are one of the most overrated bands in metal history. Theres so many thrash bands that do it way better, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, Tankard, Holy Moses. ****, even Testament are better than Slayer.

I agree with you for once, but they are influential.
Quote by guitarmania93
i just wanna say that slipknot rocks. Anyone here like All That Remains? they kick ass!

GTFO
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by guitarmania93
i just wanna say that slipknot rocks. Anyone here like All That Remains? they kick ass!

Go fuck yourself. Tool.
Quote by guitgrinder
You like A7X more than Slipknot? That's just lame!!! lolz. j/k dude, whatever, your opinion, but still... the only halfway decent A7X was Waking The Fallen... at least everySlipknot record has four or five good ones...

The difference is A7X can kinda play their instruments and write decent music, slipknow uses the same notes and riff the entire song...
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
I gotta admit, the solos in Spirit In Black are absolutely great. Especially the harmonised bit at the end of Kings solo.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
IDK, slayer is known for the amazing riffs, and they are amazing but solos aren't their strong point . I gotta admit he can solo better than me though.
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
first off i love slayer...KFK!! haha. anyways i think people miss the point of slayer. they are not in it for the technicality of their playing abilities but more on the fact that they wanna play fast and hard. and is that not what they did? i mean yeah, i understand people for not liking slayer, but that is their opinion. slayer is amazing and will always be. no matter what other people say, i still like them, and you can believe what you want to believe; like em or not.
Quote by guitarlegend187
first off i love slayer...KFK!! haha. anyways i think people miss the point of slayer. they are not in it for the technicality of their playing abilities but more on the fact that they wanna play fast and hard. and is that not what they did? i mean yeah, i understand people for not liking slayer, but that is their opinion. slayer is amazing and will always be. no matter what other people say, i still like them, and you can believe what you want to believe; like em or not.

This is all true.

A friend of mine went to a guitar clinic with Kerry King and at the end the two of them had a drink together (Jagermeister :P ). He asked him what he felt was Slayers most technical song. Kerry responded by saying that what he plays in Slayer is really nothing like his actual ability. Slayer is about playing fast and hard so he plays what suits that. At the clinic, from what my friend told me, he was shredding and playing riffs that were WAY more technical than anything he does in Slayer.
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Nov 15, 2007,
Yeah... I wouldn't doubt it... I mean in Slayer He is pretty much expected to make ear raping noises with the whammy bar and stuff... I guess he gives Slayer the EVIL factor LOL

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
^ yeh, haha, he does it really well though :P
Well, it's the whole band really. But for me, one of my favourite things about Slayer is how Jeff and King just work riiiiiiiilllly well together.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
My band covered Chainsaw Guts**** by Mayhem. A thread about Mayhem would be a much bigger success than slayer.

My statement still stands, slayer sucks.

no metallica sucks
(signature removed, please choose another)
Slayer is a ****ing good band. I have from Show no Mercy to seasons and God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion.

CHEMICAL WARFARE
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Show no Mercy is a really awesome album, it just gets overshadowed by there other work. But for me, it's one of my favourites. Not just of slayer, but any band.
um so since when did slayer ever get air time? i was listening to some local radio station today and slayer's eyes of the insane came on. i was happy to get my slayer fix, but i had never heard them on the radio before
Yea they need to start playing them on the radio. I mean they play them on that xm radio crap but no local radio stations ever play slayer, its LAME!
yeah it was fnx, a local nh radio station. i was waiting for more but then it started playing the doors or something, now that was lame
I havent heard much of Slayer. Raining Blood is ok and ive heard thats their best song. If so thats sad.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Quote by I_Collect_Picks
i only have Diabolus in Musica. Its ok

ugh... one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever heard.

Musically they aren't anything godly, but...

The sheer aggression of most of their releases and the intensity of the riffs is quite impressive. They're still a great listen, especially the earlier albums, and for their time Slayer did some really great things.

And as been mentioned by some they are an important band as far as evolution of metal and influence are concerned.

While I'm here I have to say this... Why does King have to make every solo sound as if it's been cut-and-paste over pretty much every ****ing song? Even Hanneman has more variety in his leads.

EDIT: To guitarlegend<insert number>... Eyes of the Insane is the only Slayer song I ever see on any music program. It's pretty retarded, but stands true. Not that good of a song, but seems to be the only one they like to play

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by Mental-lica
I havent heard much of Slayer. Raining Blood is ok and ive heard thats their best song. If so thats sad.

That's all opinion. Check out Angel of Death or Black Magic or something.
Running from shadows. Blinded by fear. The horror of nightfall is ever so near. I slowly surround you as terror sets in. Are you afraid of the niIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHt!
TORMENTAAAAAHHHHH!

Favorite Slayer song.
I reckon Praise Of Death is my favourite Slayer song, the whole Hell Awaits album kicks arse. People say Reign In Blood was the first Slayer album with a truly intense and aggressive vibe, but for me its Hell Awaits.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Eminus Sleepus reffering to Diabolus In Musica:

"ugh... one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever heard."

Are you kidding me? That album is awesome! That is, by far, my favorite Slayer album. It's so brutally heavy, and to tell you the truth, it's the closest Slayer ever got around to this thing most of us call "evolution." Easily, it's the most unique Slayer album. I LOVE Bitter Peace and all the other songs on it. Other than that, SNM and HW, ftw!
seasons in the abyss, reign in blood, show no mercy and i actually like their latest, christ illuion =]
God Hates Us All? More like, God I Hate This Album! ZING!

I think my favorite Slayer lyrics will always be from Angel of Death.

Severed heads... Sewn together.
Just a matter of time before they tear themselves apart.

Classic.
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Nov 18, 2007,
lol at no one ever spelling my username right...

But seriously, Bitter Peace and whatever song came after that were like the only good songs on it. For the rest, the riffs were so boring, generic and just generally bad that it was beyond listenable. If I was to name one directionless, plastic album, it would be the first name that comes into my head.

Don't take that personally, y'all, that album just sucks. What were they thinking?

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I definitely need to get more Slayer.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
yes you do, you HXC fag ololol.

Tom fix your vocals you dick.

nah Slayer's cool. Really.

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
i went into FYE this weekend and i was so tempted to just grab all slayer albums and walk out! i dint but it would have been great to have all those albums
slayer is cool. i saw them live back in August. they put on a pretty awesome show. sucks that it only lasted a little over an hour. then marilyn manson played, which was disappointing.
What's seriously dissapointing about Slayer is that after they started to blow in the mid-late 90's, they didn't have the balls to change their name to anything that would describe their ****ty new sound. Also, like Hetfield, Araya sounds like ass vocally. Except with Araya I start to realize it more clearly everytime I think about it - his vocals blew right from the beginning, it's just that due to the authenticity and impact of Reign in Blood and the couple albums that followed, I was able to accept them. It's a shame that Slayer weren't able to instill anything new into the music scene in the last decade. The flame will soon burn out as it has with Metallica and Anthrax (unless Hammett isn't a raging pansy and isn't lying about the new album being good - but I don't see that just based on his performance in the Some Kind of Monster DVD).
I've found Jesus
^ whatever... Slayer is awesome

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Quote by rg_metal
^ whatever... Slayer is awesome

Lol. Typical withheld Slayer fan response.
I've found Jesus
Slayer had its moment. They haven't really changed anything since the first album and are still going strong. Last time I checked not many bands can boast that track record. Yes the solos are just tasteless wanking and get old fast, but in 1979 I'm sure that crap blew people's minds.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
I think they were awesome back in the day, but I think they've gotten old and lost it now. They sound like they're trying too hard now, they used to sound so pissed off but Tom's vocals, while never technically 'good', really did the job of being pissed off, now just sounds like monotone shouting. I don't know why, everything after Divine Intervention isn't that appealing to me, and even Divine Intervention has a lot of ****ty songs.
Quote by i have to pee
Slayer had its moment. They haven't really changed anything since the first album and are still going strong. Last time I checked not many bands can boast that track record. Yes the solos are just tasteless wanking and get old fast, but in 1979 I'm sure that crap blew people's minds.

huh?
Quote by i have to pee

yes well..
seeing as they werent even formed in 1979..

it probably WOULDVE blown someones mind to hear a guitar solo that wouldnt even come out for another 2 years.