Page 4 of 29
Quote by gopherthegreat
i have reign in blood, south of heaven, and diabolus in musica. i hate diabolus, reign in blood is good, and south of heaven is fantastic. they'd be one of my favorite metal bands if not for their solos, which i really dislike.

edit: ^where in NH do you live? im just curious

peterborough
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
My band covered Chainsaw Guts**** by Mayhem. A thread about Mayhem would be a much bigger success than slayer.

My statement still stands, slayer sucks.

dude, no one asked u to post on this thread. if you don't like slayer then go **** urself, we don't wanna hear about it
Quote by JR2204
yes well..
seeing as they werent even formed in 1979..

it probably WOULDVE blown someones mind to hear a guitar solo that wouldnt even come out for another 2 years.

First Slayer album was in 1981. So you're telling me a band basically creating a genre gets signed to a major label and releases an album in under two years? Please think before you speak.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
I love slayer, but i have to say that the solos suck balls. they just push the whammy until it breaks. and wtf? they come outta nowhere - no warning that their going to start a solo or anything
Quote by no. 1 maggot
I love slayer, but i have to say that the solos suck balls. they just push the whammy until it breaks. and wtf? they come outta nowhere - no warning that their going to start a solo or anything

Compared to hardcore punk, which was a huge thrash influence, I can see where they are coming from.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
God i love Seasons. such a good album. slayer doesn't suck saw them live they kicked some ass.
Just downloaded Haunting the Chapel last night, pretty good.
I thought it's really funny that Gene Hoglan said Slayer ripped off Dark Angel, specifically with a number of songs on Hell Awaits.
Damn it, I was really mean to the CliffBurton dude in the first page.. Sorry Cliff Burton guy and sorry to you all viewing this thread.. I get a little aggressive when drunk
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Slayer is seriously overrated IMO.
In thrash I prefer Kreator, Testament and Sodom. Slayer is just boring me.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
GUYS I DON'T KNOW IF YOU RELIZE BUT LIKE, SLAYER, IS MY FAVORITE BAND.

People are always like, they don't sing or scream they just yell at you it's not even fun to listen to.
I'm like uh..duh dude. It's ****in' slayer. It's not supposed to be nice to listen to.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by Baboom
GUYS I DON'T KNOW IF YOU RELIZE BUT LIKE, SLAYER, IS MY FAVORITE BAND.

People are always like, they don't sing or scream they just yell at you it's not even fun to listen to.
I'm like uh..duh dude. It's ****in' slayer. It's not supposed to be nice to listen to.

f*** yeah dude
Quote by sleepwalker16
Slayer is seriously overrated IMO.
In thrash I prefer Kreator, Testament and Sodom. Slayer is just boring me.

I sort of agree. I don't think they're seriously overrated, it's just I feel there are better bands in the genre. I'm not a big fan at all, but I bought South Of Heaven and it is actually really good. For me, the drumming in a lot of Slayer is too over-powering. My favourite Slayer song however has to be "Postmortem". Amazing song.
My stuff:

Cort X6
JLK Iridium
Peavey Valve King 112
Behringer V-AMP 2
Quote by no. 1 maggot

anything past divine intervention is not worth listening to and i can see why people say slayer sucks! however, anything before then is unmatchable. thats why when i hear slayer i think of Hell Awaits, and most of you noobs think of Christ illusion. sad really they are two different bands. you honestly can say there solo's suck balls? there shred, i think at times they couldn't put in a better solo to keep the speed going.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
Last edited by kinzoku at Jan 18, 2008,
Quote by no. 1 maggot

the solos sound perfectly fine to me. Alot of death metal bands have solos like that today. like cannibal corpse and nile
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Quote by chrismetal86
Alot of death metal bands have solos like that today. like cannibal corpse and nile

Nile's solos aren't like that at all.
Quote by Scourge441
Nile's solos aren't like that at all.

yea, like in sacrifice unto sebek. its just a whole bunch of notes sweeped with whammy. still badass though
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
wow this thread has been dead for some time now...
F***IN' SLAYER!!!!!
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Any news on the last Slayer record? Last I heard they were going to start writing after the winter holidays.
Reign in Blood is a tad bit overrated.

And, when people say it's the heaviest album of all time

Maybe in the top 10 for heaviest thrash, but not of all time. Maybe the 80's.

Hell Awaits is where it's at.

Most influential album for death metal (c'mon, that, Death by Metal, and Seven Churches pretty much rocket-fueled DM...but,anyways)

Slayer are a terrific thrash band, and are definitely the top dogs of Proto-Death
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
and Hell Awaits wasn't?

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I love it...
especially because it sounds almost exactly like a dumbed down Iron Maiden song.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by MetalMilitia212
For the most part, Slayer sucks hard. Show No Mercy is almost all good, most of Reign in Blood is good, about half of South of Heaven is good... They just deteriorated from the get go. Lombardo is one of the best pure metal drummers ever though.

Also, this.

as much as I love Slayer, that video is ****ing hilarious.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
as much as I love Slayer, that video is ****ing hilarious.

lol yea "satan glistens off my bald head!"
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
I love all of Slayer's stuff. Even though Kerry is an idiot when it comes to soloing, and Dave Lombardo just came back, I love everything they've put out.

The strongest album is either Show No Mercy or Reign in Blood. Weakest being God Hates Us All or Christ Illusion.
Quote by tehbensonzorz
Crionics = best Slayer song. that breakdown ending *fap fap fap*

true that, amazing song.

Die By The SWORDD!! Duh Nuh Duh Nuh, dun dun dun duN, Duh Nuh Duh Nuh, dun dun dun duN, Duh Nuh Duh Nuh, dun dun dun duN, DUH~NUH~DUH~NUH!
Quote by Karl Sanders
Quote by kinzoku
true that, amazing song.

Die By The SWORDD!! Duh Nuh Duh Nuh, dun dun dun duN, Duh Nuh Duh Nuh, dun dun dun duN, Duh Nuh Duh Nuh, dun dun dun duN, DUH~NUH~DUH~NUH!

Cursed, black magic night!

(played by Duhhh...chuggachugga dunt dunt duhh dunt....chugga...dee duhn dunt)

Quote by eggsandham2
Tormentor as well as Metal Storm/ Face the Slayer are filled with awesome riffs, Kerry and Jeff should really listen to their old songs for inspiration when writing for their next album
Honestly IMO I didnt like Reign in Blood that much. Its fast and everything but sort of nonsense really. However Lombardo is F*ing amazing.
This is my Signature.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Reign in Blood is a tad bit overrated.

And, when people say it's the heaviest album of all time

Maybe in the top 10 for heaviest thrash, but not of all time. Maybe the 80's.

Hell Awaits is where it's at.

Most influential album for death metal (c'mon, that, Death by Metal, and Seven Churches pretty much rocket-fueled DM...but,anyways)

Slayer are a terrific thrash band, and are definitely the top dogs of Proto-Death

Let's dissect this post.

a) Reign In Blood is extremely over-rated.
b) its nowhere near the top 10 heaviest album for thrash, or 80s metal
c) slayer never did anything that was 'most influential album for death metal'. death by metal and seven churches were both far more influential than slayer and there are many other releases that are more influential
d) slayer are a boring thrash band, and are not proto-death let alone 'top dogs of proto-death'
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
you can't claim they aren't influencial, dude. I mean, there are quite a few death metal bands (and metal bands in general) out there that cite them as a major influence. Sure, there have been other albums which have been more influencial to death metal, but completely writing off slayer and saying they aren't proto death? come on dude...
Quote by MHDrunk
Let's dissect this post.

a) Reign In Blood is extremely over-rated.
b) its nowhere near the top 10 heaviest album for thrash, or 80s metal
c) slayer never did anything that was 'most influential album for death metal'. death by metal and seven churches were both far more influential than slayer and there are many other releases that are more influential
d) slayer are a boring thrash band, and are not proto-death let alone 'top dogs of proto-death'

Let's dissect this post.

a) Bollocks.
b) Bollocks.
c) Bollocks.
d) Bollocks.
@MDrunk: id have to disagree when you said slayer weren't that influential in the death metal genre. Hell Awaits is highly brutal.
Quote by Karl Sanders
Last edited by kinzoku at Mar 31, 2008,
oh my god. slayer were crucial in the foundation of all extreme metal!!
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Quote by 11thHour
oh my god. slayer were crucial in the foundation of all extreme metal!!

Ring-a-dingy-doodly do we have a ****ing winner

Quote by eggsandham2
Slayer are NOT proto-death by any stretch of the imagination. If you're gonna call Slayer proto-death, we could include SO many thrash bands in this description, ie Deranged, Alazif, Karrion, Lethal Presence, etc. Proto-death is bands like Possessed, Mantas/Death, Death Strike, Master, Necrovore, Savage Death, Terminal Death, etc
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
And, who said we're not?

Honestly, the heavier end of thrash is basically proto-death (bands from 1981-1985 at least)

Quote by eggsandham2