Poll: Hardest Musical Instrument to Play?
Poll Options
View poll results: Hardest Musical Instrument to Play?
Guitar
69 17%
Bass
24 6%
Drums
43 10%
Vocals
75 18%
Keyboard
34 8%
Other
173 41%
Voters: 418.
Page 1 of 4
I couldn't figure out where to put a thread like this, so here it is.

What do you think the hardest musical instrument to play is?

-guitar
-bass
-drums
-vocals
-keyboard

i listed "other" in the poll, so comment away!
definatly none of what you have listed

the piano/keyboard is probably the easiest instument to learn
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Contrabass flute.

Need the lungs of Zephyr to play that
we know a place no spaceships go
Quote by RageAgainst...

why do you keep bugging me? I wrote "other" if you could actually read. and learn to spell "definitely" before you write it.
Quote by Kimby
Contrabass flute.

Need the lungs of Zephyr to play that

Hyper bass flutes are harder.

With more standard instruments, trumpets and double reed instruments are hard to play.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by Eminored
Instruments are really only as hard as you want to make them.

So... I say vocals. Just 'cause it doesn't really fit in.

i would say they all have their different levels of difficulty, but vocals you have to have just the right voice.
according to the guiness book of world records it's the french horn, followed closely by the oboe.
Go Veg.
Quote by metal Lover
The guitar is the easiest instrument to learn, but the hardest to master.

ah, true wisdom. very interesting, never thought of it like that.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
why do you keep bugging me? I wrote "other" if you could actually read. and learn to spell "definitely" before you write it.
how am i bugging you? i know you wrote other which is why i said "of the ones you listed"

i was simply stating my opinion...no need to get so defensive about it

oh and i'm sorry i spelled a word wrong...i'll try and do better next time...
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Instruments that require blowing
Trumpet, Saxophone, Etc. .
Although i can't stand the sound of a trumpet, or most blowing instruments except the saxophone.
Guitar Hero controller
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Quote by RageAgainst...
how am i bugging you? i know you wrote other which is why i said "of the ones you listed"

i was simply stating my opinion...no need to get so defensive about it

oh and i'm sorry i spelled a word wrong...i'll try and do better next time...

sorry, it's just i went to like 3 different forums, and you were there, talking to me in 2 of them. i didn't notice you wrote of the ones you listed. didn't look close enough.
but in all seriousness, I'd have to say the Harmonica
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Quote by ken112291

Not because it has more strings that it's harder to play.

Quote by metal Lover
The guitar is the easiest instrument to learn, but the hardest to master.

Actually I think it's more bass than guitar. Anyone can just grab a bass and pick root notes, though I wouldn't really call that playing bass, but if you want to master bass, it's going to be a lot harder than mastering guitar because of all the different techniques and how a great bassline can make a song so much better.

But yeah the hardest instrument to learn is the french horn.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
I'd say anything fretless... or really tiny... which woul probably mean the viola... maybe the piccolo

I tried to learn the piccolo once since I can play the flute... it was too damn small, I'm like 6'3
No instrument is more difficult than another. What we consider difficult is different.

John Williams words come to mind:
In your opinion, is the guitar an intrinsically harder instrument to play than the major classical instruments, the piano and violin, given that there is a relative shortage of established virtuosos?
Quote by John Williams
No instrument is more difficult than another, because we have to establish by what standards we are making the judgment.

Even if we take all three instruments playing the same piece, say the Bach G Minor fiddle fugue, it won't help because if we compare it to the Liszt B Minor Piano Sonata, is it more or less difficult? Obviously, on the guitar the Liszt is going to be impossible, so we have to look at the total repertoire available to each instrument. Yet a 6 month old baby could probably hammer out a middle C on a piano whereas it couldn't do that on a guitar until it was a few years old, but that doesn't make it a candidate to play Chopin and Liszt!

The second point, regarding a true comparison involving note preparation, is also no.

In basic respects, note preparation on the guitar is no harder than the fiddle, maybe even easier, but there may be certain aspects that are harder playing certain types of music. Personally, I don't think that fingering or sight-reading is any harder on the guitar than on the violin. Some people don't find holding down notes on the guitar very difficult at all, because they have great natural strength in their hands.

Each instrument has there composers which have defined the "advanced" levels. For piano, Chopin and Liszt are know to have written some of the most difficult music on the piano.

As for guitar, often times the most difficult music wasn't even written by a guitarist, because if a composer who doesn't play guitar writes a guitar piece, he doesn't have a good idea on what challenges a guitarist. Joaquin Rodrigo was a pianist who wrote some of the most famous guitar works. Johann Sebastian Bach wrote works for Lute, which have been transcribed for guitar, and many of them are incredibley difficult.

Paganini's music really challenges Contemporary Classical Violinists, and during his time, a rumor went around that he sold his soul to the devil to play violin.

And then there is Agustin Barrios Mangore. He was a guitarist, and regarded by many to be the greatest composer of guitar music. His music is VERY difficult, and it takes a high virtuosity to play.

But to return to my point, there is no instrument that is "the hardest".
Quote by The Madcap
No instrument is more difficult than another. What we consider difficult is different.

John Williams words come to mind:
In your opinion, is the guitar an intrinsically harder instrument to play than the major classical instruments, the piano and violin, given that there is a relative shortage of established virtuosos?

Each instrument has there composers which have defined the "advanced" levels. For piano, Chopin and Liszt are know to have written some of the most difficult music on the piano.

As for guitar, often times the most difficult music wasn't even written by a guitarist, because if a composer who doesn't play guitar writes a guitar piece, he doesn't have a good idea on what challenges a guitarist. Joaquin Rodrigo was a pianist who wrote some of the most famous guitar works. Johann Sebastian Bach wrote works for Lute, which have been transcribed for guitar, and many of them are incredibley difficult.

Paganini's music really challenges Contemporary Classical Violinists, and during his time, a rumor went around that he sold his soul to the devil to play violin.

And then there is Agustin Barrios Mangore. He was a guitarist, and regarded by many to be the greatest composer of guitar music. His music is VERY difficult, and it takes a high virtuosity to play.

But to return to my point, there is no instrument that is "the hardest".

interesting. you really know your music, and i guess you have a point there.
Quote by RageAgainst...

I don't think that is true. Each instrument has had musicians establish what is considered "difficult" to learn. If you find a pianist who can play literally any piece by Liszt or Chopin that is given to him, I highly doubt it was easier for him to achieve those skills than a guitarist who can play literally any piece by Bach or Barrios given to him.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
He also bothers me at times, too...I thought I was the only one.
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 15, 2007,
Quote by The Madcap
He also others me at times, too...I thought I was the only one.

guess not. this is the first day i've seen him. i usually don't see people more than one day on UG, except for you, i've seen you somewhere before on here.
Can't really be judged, because "easier" instruments have higher standards.

For example, piano is physically easier to play than guitar, but the standards of a difficult piano piece are MUCH higher than a difficult guitar piece.

Vocals are always hard because you can't just "press the notes" like you can on a physical instrument.
Madcap you have an interesting point, but learning an instrument and becoming a virtuoso are two completely different things. some instruments have a steeper learning curve than others.
Imo guitar has a very easy learning curve, though.
It just depends on your definition of learning
Last edited by that1l)ude at Sep 16, 2007,
Depends how much effort and practice you put into a certain instrument.

But to add to the topic, I think sitar seems pretty hard to learn and play....though I can't say it's the hardest.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by that1l)ude
Madcap you have an interesting point, but learning an instrument and becoming a virtuoso are two completely different things. some instruments have a steeper learning curve than others.
Imo guitar has a very easy learning curb, though.
It just depends on your definition of learning
I wouldn't call learning and becoming a virtuoso completely different. One requires the other. And each instrument has their pieces for what's considered "begginer level", along with "intermediate" and "advanced". I personally don't think it's any less difficult for a starting musician to learn the typical "begginer" piece given to guitarists as the typical "begginer" piece given to pianists, because the point also applies to becoming a beginner, and an intermediate level musician.
Quote by RageAgainst...

Dude, yeah right.
hmm welll keyboard CAN get pretty insane... but i voted guitar
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
The bassoon, Take the difficulty of an oboe and then throw in the fact that there is NOBODY to learn from. It's not only hard to master technically, but the instrument itself is very imperfect...which makes playing in tune nearly impossible and then there's like, five different fingerings for each note...which are almost all used depending on what you're playing.
Evidently the bagpipes are pretty hard to play.

I don't know from experience. Although I wish I did.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Page 1 of 4