Should I put EMG's in my epi les?
!
!
!
V
Down there in my gear. Or should I get another guitar? I'm asking this in the mod thread, because 1. you guys seem to be less likly to flame, and give me an honest idea. Also What pickups should I get, my playing range changes alot.

And if it's pickups what mods should I do to them. Just asking because I'm getting alot of static from my pickups now when ever I use gain. And even Tone!
well emgs make gutiars sound quite generic from what I hear. I've never had them in a guitar so I guess my opinion doesnt really count...but I'd go for something passive. If you want gain a lot of people seem to suggest bareknuckle...once again havent tried em but you should google it.
I'm also wondering if this Neck needs shimed "Will be adding photo soon" To me it looks like it, and it does have a fret buzz at a high action. and the fretboard is almost stright with it's truss adjustment.
I'm just debating to myself if i should invest some cash in my begginner guitar, because I plan on keeping it, and I do play "Blues, Classic, Metal, and Rock" Which means it has to be pretty versitial.
The bottom black is the body, sorry about photo bad lighting, and camra phone.
Last edited by WickedBeast666 at Sep 16, 2007,
if you get emgs it wont make much of a difference since you have a line6 spider. you need a new amp before you ever decide to change your pickups
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
if you get emgs it wont make much of a difference since you have a line6 spider. you need a new amp before you ever decide to change your pickups

Sorry amp stays, I like my spider, It gives me good versitlity........ Only change i'll ever make in the amp is to move up to a spider Valve.

So people don't suggest amp O.o *Grumble* I'm not asking about that.
ok fair enough. but since you want to keep the amp, pickups wont do any good. id buy yourself a new guitar if you really want to buy something. the lp special is basically plywood haha. not really, but you get what i mean
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
nah, it is basicly ply wood, know whatcha talking about ^_^, but it's my begginner guitar, that I wouldn't mind making better. But the pickups suck, but I can still outplay people on it >: ) Rawr and I plan on buying another guitar eventually, just wondering if it's worth fixing up, and use as a 2nd guitar tuned to a diffrent standard. Also I have played on an Schec with emg's though my amp, and it sounded pretty bad arse, and I've played on a Tele though my amp. They do make a diffrence.
well pickups will basically all sound the same through that amp, so they dont matter much at all. and since the guitar is basically plywood, pickups arent going to help it. you are basically in the worst situation for upgrading pickups lol. it would definitely be best to just keep what you have or buy a new guitar

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by WickedBeast666
Sorry amp stays, I like my spider, It gives me good versitlity........ Only change i'll ever make in the amp is to move up to a spider Valve.

Sorry, the EMGs aren't going to make a difference with your spider. They may even make it sound worse. O.o

Single coils and humbuckers have a different resonance peak, so of course they'll sound different...But will I be able to tell the difference between plain enamel wire and formvar wire? No. EMGs are designed to drive a tube preamp, anyway...They won't do you any good.

You'll be wasting your money.
Well, sence I already know what everyone's going to say about the pickups due to the pure hate that comes out for spiders. I'm just going to do that one with my own ear and likeness. Anyone have any Idea's about the neck though?
*sigh* whatever. It's your money. It's not like more experienced player/buyers are trying to save you the trouble.

EDIT: About the neck, guitars with TOM bridges, like your LP Special, have a neck adjust at an angle, to have the proper string tension at the bridge. Nothing wrong with that.

If you're experiencing fret buzz, you probably just need a good professional setup.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 16, 2007,
Well the thing is, My amp sounds good, and has even surprised a guitar player who has played sence he was 13, now he's 21. I am a regular at guitar center, and have played littorly every single new amp in there, and some of there used. I will admit I do like tubes, but they are way to costly for me, and I can't turn my guitar stuff up high enough to get a good tone out of a tube. seems the neighbers like country not Metal. The tone I got out of my amp was pretty good in comparison to all the other SS amps I played at GC, So I like it and see no reason to get another unless it's tube. Only way that'll happen is after I get my life settled out of school.

So this works for me now, and I am happy with it. Now I am trying to better myself with an better guitar. I know the guitar doesn't make the player. Skills do. I have tried EMG's though my amp, and they sounded good, but the kicker is. they were on a diffrent guitar. And the Tele I know singles sound way diffrent.
Too costly? I can name at least 5 good tube amps that are gig-worthy, and are under 500 dollars. With a good distortion pedal, you can definitely get metal out of them. And I cant get a good sound out of my tube amp at levels not objectionable to neighbors.

Whatever, like I said, it's your money. You can waste it on whatever you like.

The Spider is no where near as responsive, or as lively as a good tube amp. And it doesn't really matter how long that other guy was playing. Those years mean nothing to me. I've met plenty of guitarists who had been playing for 10 years plus, weren't that good, and had a terrible ear for tone.
ok, do this first. Go to a guitar shop and try a guitar with emgs through the amp you have. THEN make a decision. Sound like a fair deal? Just look into it before you put out that much cash. Cuz the spider is a ss amp after all. The digital effects will shape the sound, not the guitar (well not as much as it would on a tube amp) If it sounds ok, then do it and when you play through a high end amp it'll sound even better. I know you're not planning on upgrading right now but down the road ya know?
I agree with livrockdie, so i might go with the new guitar.... lol, Because i know that shec sounded good, but maybe an ibanez will too.

Also I got my spider III 75 for $150 usd.... Which was well worth it for the price, And also it was one HELL of an upgrade from a Epiphone 10 watt O.o.