I have a friend who's dad is a woodshop teacher. He's consented to build me a new tele body for me out of maple, for $30. I know this is an amazing deal, but my only qualm is how bright will the maple be? I've used a 1/2 inch maple veneer on on one of my build before, with about 1 inch of basswood underneath, and didn't find it to be terribly bright. Opinions?
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
very bright. With tele pickups, I honestly wouldn't be able to stand the thing. But everyone has different tastes. Just know it will be very bright, keep in mind basswood is a pretty neutral wood tonewise, and a 1/2 top is maybe a 6th of a full body thickness. Just some things to keep in mind when comparing a maple top to a full solid maple guitar.
Well, its actually gonan have humbucking rail pickups in it, so that oughta warm things up a bit. And the maple was 1/3 of the body on my last build, and it was actually kinda warm soundign to me. I would like thsi guitar to be somewhat bright, and my amp is has a very dark british tone to it, I just need to know if its gonna be overly bright. Thank you very much for your input, but any other opinions?
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)