If im tuning my bass to different tunings using a tuner, do I just tune the bass until the tuner says its at the note im looking for? or is the tuner only going to be accurate when tuning to standard?
Different tuners do different stuff.

Cheap ones will only do standard.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
depends what sort of tuner it is, a good chromatic one should have no problem, as for me i have a crappy one and to put my bass into drop-d or something like that i need to hold the string at the second fret o_O
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
alucardmik is actually from the outer rings of jupiter and likes to drink goat milk while rubbing his nipples counterclockwise. so i hear...
A lot of tuners that only tune in standard have a flat symbol on it. Hit that, and button once, and only tune your E string (which will be D now). Then hit it a few times until the flat goes away, and tune the rest of it.

Now you're in Drop D

To get Drop C, do the same thing, only two flats on the E and one on the other strings.

I have a Korg tuner that does it by whole notes, so I'm assuming thats what most do.
yea, my tuner has a 'flat' button on it. but you may have to hit the flat button 2 times in order to go down a whole step. i think it only goes one half step down everytime you hit it.
Quote by BlueShox
A lot of tuners that only tune in standard have a flat symbol on it. Hit that, and button once, and only tune your E string (which will be D now). Then hit it a few times until the flat goes away, and tune the rest of it.

Now you're in Drop D

To get Drop C, do the same thing, only two flats on the E and one on the other strings.

I have a Korg tuner that does it by whole notes, so I'm assuming thats what most do.

For most tuners of this type, Drop D would actually need 2 flat symbols for the E string as it is a whole step down. Drop C would have to have 4 flats on the E as it is 2 whole steps down and the rest of the strings would have 2 flats. Why would your Korg represent a 2 step drop with the symbol for a semitone?

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C... ------> Higher
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
I'm not sure, now that you mention it that sounds more right. I haven't used that tuner since I had an acoustic guitar, which is a very long time.

I have a chromatic tuner for the bass.
Quote by alucardmik
depends what sort of tuner it is, a good chromatic one should have no problem, as for me i have a crappy one and to put my bass into drop-d or something like that i need to hold the string at the second fret o_O

Just play 4th string at the 12th natural harmonic. This should register in D one octave higher, which is the same as your 2nd string.
Quote by Fast_Bear
http://www.tunemybass.com/

Can you tune by ear yet? If so, THERE YAH GO!

Yes, yes, yes. Throw the tuner away and stop being a baby. Learn by ear. Hell, all I do is tune my G string and tune the rest with harmonics (I can tune the G string by ear, too). Then, I check tunemybass to see if my G string is still in tune (maybe the neck bow made it a little flat) and do it again.

As far as alternate tunings, I've never ever used a tuner for one. I always use open strings and change whatever string I need to to be the open note. I'll fret a note if I have to. If I can tune my 7-string to open D by ear, anyone can! Believe in yourself!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..