Okay I searched for this and didn't find anything that really applied to me, but I'm sure this is a question that's been asked.

We added a second guitarist to our band (death metal) and I was just wondering how to EQ both amps so that they aren't really muddied together.

Like what settings for lead and what settings for rhythm.

Also, if it helps, I'm lead and playing through a 6505 head, vader cab. Our rhythm guitarist is plaything through a ****ty MG stack. And don't say as a solution turn his volume down to 0 :P He'll be getting a better setup soon.

Anyways, my guess is just have the lead guitar setup have more mids so it cuts through more, but wondering what else I'm supposed to do.

Also, sorry if this post is all over the place, I ramble like a stupid ass sometimes.
Thanks,
Tyler
EQ them separately until they both sound good, then keep them on opposite sides of the practice space. Unless you're in a really small room, they won't get mixed together much. And the MG stack is ALWAYS muddy.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
have the rhythm set up with less treble and more bass, and lead set with a bit more treble.

But your set up will always vary depending upon the the gear, and the playing styles. Just use the 2 guitars as a way to fill up the sound, by filling in the weaknesses of the other guitar, so if one guitar has a lot of treble, then use the other guitar to fill in the bass and make the sound even and full.

There is no real formula
I'm assuming that since you play death metal, your gain is on 10 (or close to it)
Turn it down a bit, if both guitars have too much distortion it doesn't sound good.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
If I'm trying to cancel out the weakness of another setup, doesn't that mean I should just drown out the MG entirely?
Oh and my pre-gain is actually on about 7, because I already figured out that cranking it up makes it sound unrecognizable.

Thanks for all the input guys, by the way.
Just make sure that the lead guitar has more mids, treble and possibly gain. The second guitar is there to compliment you and should be slightly back from the main sound. A slight volume boost during solo's doesn't hurt either.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It would probably be something like this: