Yeah, so I'm going to start a band with my friend in the not-so-distant future, and I really wanna start a power metal band. Nothing cheesy lyric wise, but music wise. Power metal, think Manticora, Falconer, Symphony X, Firewind, etc.

However, I never write like that, so it's been a bit of a challenge.

Anyone want to guide me by telling me some basics?

Whenever I play, it comes out sounding like Classic Metal, Thrash, or Metalcore. I also seem quite accustomed to the pentatonic scale.
learn the Harmonic Minor scale, Michael Romeo, Gus G and a few others use that scale alot.

Alot of bands these days also muck about with arpeggios (sweep picking, etc) just take a look at Luca Turilli from Rhapsody and you will know what i mean.

And as far as it sounding like Thrash or classic metal it doesnt really matter, not 'all' powermetal bands sound the sound, introduce some hybrid stuff into it.

thats my 2 cents, not much of an expert though.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Metal_Injection
learn the Harmonic Minor scale, Michael Romeo, Gus G and a few others use that scale alot.

Alot of bands these days also muck about with arpeggios (sweep picking, etc) just take a look at Luca Turilli from Rhapsody and you will know what i mean.

And as far as it sounding like Thrash or classic metal it doesnt really matter, not 'all' powermetal bands sound the sound, introduce some hybrid stuff into it.

thats my 2 cents, not much of an expert though.

You're an asshole.

(Sorry, you're not, I love you)

Harmonic Minor Scale? Ok, any others? I'll be playing in E flat, and D if that makes any difference.

I'm really into weird stuff too, do you think any of these scales would sound good if I tried them?

http://www.jazzguitar.be/exotic_guitar_scales.html
wow, the only one i know out of those is the gypsy, If you want to add some unique variations into your playing sure go for it, no idea if its going to help with powermetal, lol.

have you learnt modes? Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian (natural minor) etc?

while its not exactly going to help with powermetal, it definetly will improve your playing, satriani, and steve vai and alot of others use em. but im really not the best dude to ask. What i would do is learn *what makes the harmonic minor scale a harmonic minor scale?" play it too yourself, and learn how to solo in it all over the fret board.

But thats just me, see if there is any other advice as well.

cheers
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
and most powermetal plays in standard tunings from what ive heard, but the best way to get better at guitar is experiment. cheers
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
=>Use the natural-minor (Aeolian mode)
=>Try apregiating chord progressions (like Blind Guardian).
=>Hold overdriven-chords over half a measure to give an epic feel; don't change chords fast
=>Start with this progression for epic: Root-5th
=Always think what kind of vocals will play over your riff/progression
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
Symphony X isn't power metal...

It's neoclassical symphonic progressive power metal!!
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.