Got a couple questions. I have watched the tutorial in the ultimate refinishing thread about Nitrocellulose painting. I thought you had to completely sand the guitar down, not just the top layer? I want to make my guitar like the Birtish Union Jack.

These are the steps i think i have to do (correct me if I'am wrong).

1. Take everything out of guitar.
2. Whipe down guitar.
3. Sand it with to take the gloss off it so the paint will stick.
4. Which down guitar.
5. Spray 2-3 coats of a primer and let dry.
6. SPray whole guitar Cherry red, 2-3 times.
7. Let dry.
8. Whipe down guitar.
9. Mark off area for blue
10. Cover up rest of guitar.
11. Wipe part to be painted.
12. Spray 2-3 coats of primer - let dry.
13. SPray 2-3 coats of blue - let dry.
14. wipe down guitar.
15. mark off white areas.
16. block off rest of guitar.
17. whipe down.
18. Spray primer 2-3 coats - let dry.
19. Spray white 2-3 coats - let dry.
20. Spray clear coat gloss on to seal it as much as needed.
21. Assemble guitar again.

Well thats my thinking if you could help me out thanks. I am also wondering where i could purchase the supplies in the video. Thanks again.!
Guitars:
Dean Razorback Explosion =D
Schecter Omen 6
Ibanez 30 Exotic Wood =D
Custom Les Paul w/EMG

Amps:
Line 6 Spider II :S
Peavey ValveKIng Halfstack

Pedal:
Boss ME-50
put lines where i need to paint... then like cover up the rest of the guitar.
Guitars:
Dean Razorback Explosion =D
Schecter Omen 6
Ibanez 30 Exotic Wood =D
Custom Les Paul w/EMG

Amps:
Line 6 Spider II :S
Peavey ValveKIng Halfstack

Pedal:
Boss ME-50
oh ok, lol your little thing looks good to me, just rember to give the paint time to dry before you remove the covered up parts. May sound odd, but i've seen lots of people mess up cars, and houses by not giving it enough time to dry.
Quote by '
AG[ Scott']Got a couple questions. I have watched the tutorial in the ultimate refinishing thread about Nitrocellulose painting. I thought you had to completely sand the guitar down, not just the top layer? I want to make my guitar like the Birtish Union Jack.

These are the steps i think i have to do (correct me if I'am wrong).

10. Cover up rest of guitar.
11. Wipe part to be painted.
12. Spray 2-3 coats of primer - let dry.
13. SPray 2-3 coats of blue - let dry.
14. wipe down guitar.
15. mark off white areas.
16. block off rest of guitar.
17. whipe down.
18. Spray primer 2-3 coats - let dry.
19. Spray white 2-3 coats - let dry.
20. Spray clear coat gloss on to seal it as much as needed.

Well thats my thinking if you could help me out thanks. I am also wondering where i could purchase the supplies in the video. Thanks again.!

you can probably replace steps 10-20 above with ippon's stenciling tips which is on page 1 of https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

Originally Posted by Ippon
1. When cutting masking tape on top of the guitar body that has dried for at least an hour, go through the pattern with the blade very lightly at first. Then go through it a second time to make the final cut. Yes, don't cut through with the first pass. The paint is still "soft".
2. If you prefer not to cut on top of the guitar body, you can use regular paper for the mask. Use all purpose Elmer's gluestick to stick the mask on top of the body. I've used white rice, watered down flour (sticky) but Staples or Office Mart carry this special spray for temporarily sticking paper to anything ... kinda like the adhesiveness of PostIts ... I've used those made by 3M, works great.
3. When using #2 above, make sure you go through the edges, twice, thrice to ensure it's stuck and that paint won't seep under.
4. After you're done masking and spraying each layer, wait at least 1 hour to ensure it's sufficiently dry.
5. Then using the 1500 grit sandpaper that you've soaked overnight, very lightly sand the demarcation lines. Make sure the paper is always wet, lightly sanding until you can no longer feel the ridges between the star's edges and the background.
6. When clearcoating, spray the edges first, the front, the back, then repeat immediately 2 more times.
7. Wait another hour, repeat the above: 3 coats of clear.
8. Wait another hour, repeat the above: 3 coats of clear.
9. Repeat steps 6 to 8 the following day and for a 3rd day. This is called the rule of 3s.
10. Wait a month for the finish to fully cure/harden, then use 3M Finesse It II to buff the body.

i know a bunch of refinishers here use Krylon, Duplicolor, off-brand acrylic spraypaints, or ReRanch nitro. do a search on mods/threads started by Ippon.