Well..today i had the first band practice with our new guitarist, and i believe he has a spider III: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-150-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482270
i've got a B-52 AT 212 tube amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-AT212-100Watt-2-x-12-Combo-Tube-Amp?sku=481309
For some reason, whether it's my guitar or what(he's got a cheap guitar compared to mine i think), his guitar/amp sounds way beefier and has way better distortion, but it might be mine, if it is..it will change when i switch my emg 85 to the bridge i hope.
Well basically, what would you suggest for a better "metal" kind of sound? should i try to invest in a good distortion pedal? should my tube amp naturally sound better than his?(without a pedal)
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
are you cranking your amp? if not, it'll sound thinner than it should be
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Well, I've never tried a B-52, but I've heard great things about them. I have heard though that you need an overdrive pedal to get high gain, as the B-52 is more of a mid-gain amp.

That said, there's no way that your amp sounds worse than a Spider if it's working properly, I'm so glad I finally got rid of my Spider II, the metal settings were disgusting.
alright, then anyone have a certain overdrive pedal that is really awesome for metal?lol
edit: well i don't mean are you selling one, i mean do you have any suggestions?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Well you don't need a distortion pedal, just a pedal that will drive the tubes a little harder (aka, an overdrive pedal). If you have the money, a Fulltone OCD, I've never tried one, but they're supposed to be one of the best. If you're on a budget, a DigiTech Bad Monkey. I use one to get a tighter, smoother distortion out of my amp, as the natural distortion is very loose.
hmm..musiciansfriend doesn't carry fulltone? that's weird, that bad monkey sounds cool, all the reviews are good on it and stuff. I'll have to take a trip to guitar center or something and try out a ton of stuff..once i get money of course :P
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
Well..today i had the first band practice with our new guitarist, and i believe he has a spider III: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-150-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482270
i've got a B-52 AT 212 tube amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-AT212-100Watt-2-x-12-Combo-Tube-Amp?sku=481309
For some reason, whether it's my guitar or what(he's got a cheap guitar compared to mine i think), his guitar/amp sounds way beefier and has way better distortion, but it might be mine, if it is..it will change when i switch my emg 85 to the bridge i hope.
Well basically, what would you suggest for a better "metal" kind of sound? should i try to invest in a good distortion pedal? should my tube amp naturally sound better than his?(without a pedal)

Spiders are good for something despite what people say. Tell him to crank it, and then you'll see why they Spiders are hated. They break up and sound like ass, however at medium to low volumes they sound quite decent.
As far as dist. pedals go, look into the Electo-Harmonix Metal Muff.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
if you dont want to put out too much money you can get a preamp booster pedal, mine scoops the mids and i get a much fatter tone!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
what's the difference between overdrive and distortion? So overdrive is what i need? anyone else have pedal suggestions?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
basically overdrive pushes your tubes for natural distortion, distortion pedal is basically an effect (uses the pedals distortion through your amp and if you have a tube amp you don't want distortion pedal)
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
you could always get an attenuator although since it's a combo it would be a little more interesting to install
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo