Page 1 of 2
Well the title says it all...I came to uni yesterday, left my girlfriend of three years to go to Manchester and i'm in London. Got here, and i'm in a flat with 4 very boring people. They just don't want to do anything. I mean i'm not a party animal but I do like to go around and do fun stuff...So at the moment i'm very lonely, can't call my girlfriend co she was at the Manchester academy and I can't go out because all of the Freshers week entertainment is clubbing, which i'm sorry but i'm just not into. Anyone got any suggestions, experiences, good stories about them staying with their girlfriends? C'mon help another UGer out!!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania
You can, but you have to sit at the kids' table for dinner.

Gibson LP + Orange Rocker 30
Yo I started college and the first week was tough, but it gets better, trust me. You have to go out and try to make friends. Be as friendly as possible.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Long distance relationships tend to **** up.... I'm sorry mate
...And the worms ate into his brain.
Quote by jams10uk
Well the title says it all...I came to uni yesterday, left my girlfriend of three years to go to Manchester and i'm in London. Got here, and i'm in a flat with 4 very boring people. They just don't want to do anything. I mean i'm not a party animal but I do like to go around and do fun stuff...So at the moment i'm very lonely, can't call my girlfriend co she was at the Manchester academy and I can't go out because all of the Freshers week entertainment is clubbing, which i'm sorry but i'm just not into. Anyone got any suggestions, experiences, good stories about them staying with their girlfriends? C'mon help another UGer out!!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you're mean to last, you will. Simple as that.

Otherwise, get out there and have some kind of fun. Stop judging the actions of other people before you actually give it a whirl (clubbing, for example). You never know when a friend will enter the scene and/or what angle they will appear from.

Sometimes boredom can make you think too much. It's better to keep busy, somehow, anyhow.
Super perfundo on the early eve of your day.
play guitar, that always helps
Guitar:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson DK2-L w/ Dimarzio X2N
Takamine acoustic

Bass:
Fender Precision Bass

Amp:
Marshall AVTX150H
Behringer BG412F
Marshall MG15MSII
just go join clubs or something, join a sports team or take dancing lessons, volunteer at a hospital, get involved in classes. Number one thing is to not be afraid to put yourself out there. Do what you want when you want, there's no reason you can't enjoy your experience as long as you don't let others dictate if for you. Trust me, I was in your position.
Thanks so much guys! I knew the pit would help. I think were supposed to last, she does as well. We've been traveling together for a year so its gone from not a day without to not seeing each other at all, or very little for four years! Yeah I was gonna see what there is in the way of clubs etc but they havn't started yet.
I did go down to the club but stood there looking like an idiot! Tends to happen allot...
As for playing guitar, thats what i'm doing, keeping myself ocupied.

Cheers for the help.
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania

45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
What london uni are you at? I turned down Imperial when it came down to it, I just realized that socializing would be so much harder because it's such a big city and you miss out on the campus side of life (and I couldn't afford to keep buying guitars). Although maybe your uni is on a campus, I dunno. Join some clubs/societies and try to build a network of friends who share the same hobbies as you, or have the same idea of fun. In London, a lot of people tend to focus on the clubbing (which I hate too), instead of just sitting and drinking in a pub, simply because it's advertised so much.
GB&C Pedal Builders and Mod Squadron
vBulletin Message

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
^Hehe! School of hard knockers!
I'm at Queen Mary, which is a campus but seems to revolve around clubbing, its not that expensive around here so the guitar purchasing is too much of a problem. I tend to be really quiet so meeting new people is really hard! Just want to be in Manchester!!!
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

Totally just talk to people at school. One of the biggest pieces of advice about starting school is that everybody is in the same situation you are. Many people are lonely and looking for friends, so if you see somebody who looks like you'd get along with, just introduce yourself and make smalltalk. Most of the time other students are friendly.

I've been at college for 3 weeks now and I love it. I've been meeting so many people just by talking to them. My ability to make smalltalk has improved so much! And clubbing is fun if you find the right place. I found a great techno and rock club in my city and I've been there twice and had a great time both times(Just tonight, myself and another person had a very great time, if you catch ma drift ). So just try out some places, and remember that even if you're not into the music, you'll have a hell of a better time if you just try dancing(and if you were single I'd let you in on some other moves, once again ).
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by EirikFtw
Long distance relationships tend to **** up.... I'm sorry mate

Very true.
man that sucks.......just try and make friends with ppl in ur classes........

i hope i like uni..........
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Hehe, I like the beer idea, I might just drink away my feelings. Yeah I know the whole long distance thing usualy fiucks up. Thats what's getting me down, like the anticipation of ****ing up. Sorry for moaning!!! I'm gonna give it time. Might go guitar shopping, cheer myself up! mmm e/h big muff.
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

Look on the bright side of things. Your flatmates may be shy and unsure so that they'll be quiet as well. I guess that you need to wait for clubs to open before you can go find people who are into your interests.

You spent the money to go to uni for that year so enjoy and have fun.

You say you don't like clubbing but I imagine in London there are clubs which cater to people who would rather have rock than techno and dance.
Getting new friends is very much like picking up a girl, just use your charm and hope you don't smaltalk a gay dude
...And the worms ate into his brain.
Hmm that would be awkward.
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

It'll get better. Nobody likes the people they live with anyway.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Yeah I feel ya. The social side of my uni right now sucks too.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
I hated my coll when i first got into it....
It was full of stuck up people and all they'ld do is just party every night. I'm not into the whole clubbing thing ether!

I didn't have any proper friends and all...
But another reason for that was my then gf too. I spent too much time over her, i left out all the things in my coll. I would be there speaking with my gf on msn than hanging around with the other guys at coll... I stopped going to the sports clubs n stuff... It all ended in a downward spiral!

So yeah, one thing i'ld tell you is try to make friends in coll and don't miss out on what your coll has got while you're too busy with your gf.

Now i'm gonna start my 2nd year in coll soon. There will be new people in my class. I hope this year brings something good and stops me from hating my coll!! I don't even have a gf this year so i can give more time to my coll life...
Quote by af_the_fragile
I hated my coll when i first got into it....
It was full of stuck up people and all they'ld do is just party every night. I'm not into the whole clubbing thing ether!

I didn't have any proper friends and all...
But another reason for that was my then gf too. I spent too much time over her, i left out all the things in my coll. I would be there speaking with my gf on msn than hanging around with the other guys at coll... I stopped going to the sports clubs n stuff... It all ended in a downward spiral!

So yeah, one thing i'ld tell you is try to make friends in coll and don't miss out on what your coll has got while you're too busy with your gf.

Now i'm gonna start my 2nd year in coll soon. There will be new people in my class. I hope this year brings something good and stops me from hating my coll!! I don't even have a gf this year so i can give more time to my coll life...

Are you living at home or away from home?
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Mate, get a bottle of Tesco cider down you and hit the clubs. Who cares if it's not your cup of tea when you're sober: cider makes anything fun
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Oh wait, you started yesterday?! Don't be a muppet! You've got to just get out there and wander around. Start by walking around your halls and introducing yourself to people, then go to the student bar and do the same there. It's not weird because no-one knows anyone, and it's the best way to meet people
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by daft
Are you living at home or away from home?

I live at home...

Another reason why i don't get to be with all the other students guys 24/7!!

I did make like loads of friends when i first started coll. I know half the people in my class pretty well (its a big class with like 150 ppl in it), but i only hung around with about 2-3 of them... Even that not much.
Never got close to any of the friends i made at the beginning of cool. They all just remained acquaintances.

Its not tough getting to know people. Especially at the start of coll. They're all new like you, all you've gotta do is go over and say hi! You get to know one person, you get to a few more through them, soon you've formed a little group, you end up getting to know almost everyone!
I'm going back in tomorrow for my second year.

My advice is to mingle about the place. I'm not the most social person in history but I managed to make friends on the first day when I went last year. Sometimes it just seems natural especially with so many students who are in the same boat as you. It's probably harder for you because you live with other people so you probably feel obliged to get to know them, whereas I'm in halls and you can basically choose to know people, or choose to ignore them.

Making friends in uni, in my experience, is easy and it's probably the best way to survive. Go to the SU bar, join in the freshers week (not with everything), talk to people during lectures. You'll realise that you'll get through your course a lot easier with a few mates, even if they're not on the same course as you.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

I got to know like about 20 new people on my first day of coll...!
Then i got to loads more over the next few days/weeks.

Though I only became proper friends with about 4-5 of them. Rest remained all acquaintances. The ones you speak to for a while when you see each other and don't hang around with!
Quote by kingdomslayer91
is there only one university or something in england...cause i always see "university" what one?

It's just a general term. People just say "I'm off to uni" and what usually follows is a questioning of which one. There are many Universities in England but people don't generally tend to say which one it is they are attending unless asked.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

If you two want to make it work, you will.

It's just university.

Never give up.
My God, it's full of stars!
you should find some people to start a band with, start gigging and friends will just appear.

you should definitely go to camden, i love that place. (im not a londoner, so that might just be a tourist thing, but who doesn't smile at a cool band t-shirt)
Quote by kingdomslayer91
is there only one university or something in england...cause i always see "university" what one?

Its like how we use the word "college" in the states.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Go clubbing. Just the once.

Alternatively, go to the pub.

I know how you feel though. I just started college and I know no one there.
Page 1 of 2