Poll: Which one dents and wears out the fastest ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one dents and wears out the fastest ?
maple
32 48%
rosewood
35 52%
Voters: 67.
i used the search bar and didn't find anything, so...
which one (maple or rosewood) dents and wears out the fastest on a fretboard ?
Hmm, in my experience, maple has been much more hardwearing. Might just be the case for my guitars though, as my rosewood fretboard guitar is much cheaper than my maple fretboard guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
there's a lot of threads about that but anyways
i prefer maple cause it just feels nicer to me, looks nicer, is teh sex0rZ and rosewood kinda slows me down and doesn't look as sexy as maple.
i dare you to find a thread with the same question i asked
it's not about what you prefer, i was asking which one wears out the fastest and dents the fastest...
I personally would say maple since rosewood is much denser. BUT THEY WILL BOTH LAST A LONG TIME IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM AND CLEAN THEM REGULARLY!!!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
The thing about maple is, it's not so much the wood that wears out, it's the finish on it. You've probably seen on relic'd guitars that they have these gray spots between the frets. That's where the finish has been worn off and dirt has collected

On the other hand, rosewood tends to be more porous (from my experience). It's got these little lines in it, and it needs a bit more maintenance occasionally. Although I can't really say which wears out more...

I've never seen a fretboard that's worn out. It's always the frets themselves.
^exactly. i think this is a ridiculous question tbh, get a rosewood or maple fretboard on how it plays, sounds or looks but not on how quickly it will wear out.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
From what I've read online, the actual maple fretboard lasts longer but the finish wont last as long so it'll get ugly after a while once the finish wears off.

Rosewood is darker so you wont notice the dirst so it doesnt need a finish, but its not as durable as maple.

Ebony i think requires the most care since it dries and cracks quickly.

So for endurance Maple>Rosewood>Ebony

and then maple just looks beautiful
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I've never even had a maple fretboard.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I prefer the feel of a Worn Maple board... Pure Sex.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Maple wears out sooner, but it's harder than rosewood.

The wood will be faded, but it will last longer than rosewood. It doesn't really matter because both will last you 2 life times.
maple darkens colors however it won't ever really go bad. Rosewood drys out if its not treated right.

just learn to oil and clean your board and you'll never have a problem with any wood (except maybe ebony)
i like rosewood but its just me i would still buy a guitar with maple or rosewood i cant feel the diff
I'm trying to decide what kind to get for my American Strat Deluxe.

For the record, all my guitars are rosewood and I've had some for pushing nine years. I've never oiled the fretboard or "treated it" and it still looks lovely.

And also, I think maple looks... wierd!

I'll probably go for rosewood again, especially because my favourite guitarists like Frusciante and John Major seem to favour it.
I prefer rosewood, but maple is very nice as well. Rosewood is a lot softer though, but, it looks beautiful.
ive only owned guitars with rosewood but i thought my friends maple fretboard was a lot easier to play on, and yes i take good care of my rosewood
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
both my guitars have rosewood and is pretty good,
but i like more the looks of maple, but for playability i haven´t played a giutar with it so i can´t say
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350