I really didn't know where to put this so if it's the wrong forum thing let me know where it should go.

I was wondering how I would go about making a guitar/music store? I was hoping in the future to make a fairly decent business in a city some way away from me and it's mainly gonna be a place to sell trade and repair guitars as well as custom build them. My friend is learning how to build guitars and I pretty much have a good understanding of it all and what ever I don't know he can tell me.

What I'm wondering is what I need to do to make this work. A few friends are really wanting to do this and are willing to put their money into it as well. I just mainly want a small (not really) local business that is at least worth going to because the stores they currently have are crap.

Edit: obviously I'm not planning on doing this right away until I can support it financially and figure out how I'm gonna get everything together as well as moving to said city.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Last edited by CM_X5 at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by CM_X5
I really didn't know where to put this so if it's the wrong forum thing let me know where it should go.

I was wondering how I would go about making a guitar/music store? I was hoping in the future to make a fairly decent business in a city some way away from me and it's mainly gonna be a place to sell trade and repair guitars as well as custom build them. My friend is learning how to build guitars and I pretty much have a good understanding of it all and what ever I don't know he can tell me.

What I'm wondering is what I need to do to make this work. A few friends are really wanting to do this and are willing to put their money into it as well. I just mainly want a small (not really) local business that is at least worth going to because the stores they currently have are crap.

Edit: obviously I'm not planning on doing this right away until I can support it financially and figure out how I'm gonna get everything together as well as moving to said city.

I don't really know if this is the right forum, but I'm not quite sure where else it would go. You need to know the inside and outsides of most guitars, pedals and amps - go to existing stores and make friends with all the techies. See if they mind you sitting in and watching them repair different guitars/amps/etc so you get a good idea of what you should be doing. I'd try and get a job working in the sort of shop you want to open too, so you know the basics of how it works. Once you've got the money, reputation and time to set up your business, then it's time to work from there.
I STRONGLY suggest (coming from working in small businesses for the past 8 years) that you do some sort of short-term business course - even things like basic invoicing and stock control will help you in the long run.
As bad as it sounds, money brings out the worst in people. I'd also strongly suggest that you only have one business partner, and you trust them with your life. If something goes wrong and there's a few investors, things have a habit of getting very nasty.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I forgot about that whole business partner thing....never crossed my mind. Well thanks for the suggestions I'll be sure to try and see how things work before rushing into it all blindly. As far as the tax/legislation thing goes maybe I'd learn in the business course but currently I have no clue what that is.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab