OK, so I had a look and couldn't really find a great place to put this, so I thought I'd try the pit.

I've got a Mic with the same type of end that's meant to go into an Amp (you know the big jack thing that all guitar leads have), but I want to connect it to a computer.

I got told by this guy at PC World or whatever that I needed a 3.5mm Mono to 1/4in. Mono Adapter or a 3.5mm Mono to 1/4in. Stereo Adapter, but he didn't know which one. They were only £1 so I bought both. They both fit fine, the mic lead fits into the adapter, and the adapter fits into the mic port on the PC.

It's just that no matter what I seem to do, it doesn't pick up anything.

Help!!

EDIT: Mic is a Shure SM58
Last edited by skagitup at Sep 16, 2007,
be sure you have it in the right input and be sure that the volum for recording is on!
...And the worms ate into his brain.
Cheers for the replies, but yeah, volume's on and it's in the mic port
Is the mic turned on? Is it picking up a really tiny signal, in which case you will need to use a preamp to get anything decent.
There is poetry in despair.
Nah, it doesn't have an ON button, and it's not picking up any signal atall... as if it's not even there..
Go to control panel>sounds and audio devices (or something similar) and look for Mic and make sure it isn't muted or the volume too low.
Msn has a mic troubleshoot that always works for me.
Is it a powered mike?

Coz if it is thats the reason why it aint workin

also make sure the input selection on your recording program is correct (yeeah i know it sounds stupid but i've done it)
If you have audacity, use that, and make sure you've got the right input selected, volume up etc, then it should work in other apps too.
If it's a powered mic , then yeah, that'll be the reson why it isn't working. They need to be supplied with an external power source to work .
There is poetry in despair.
yeh, u need a +48 thingy. SM57's use phantom power. you either need to buy a mixer with one supplied, an input device or i think u can get an adapter too.

Edit: for example, my Toneport UX2 has two microphone inputs with a button saying "+48" next to it. That button supplies power to the mic.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Maybe if you plugged it into an amp, then use a guitar lead from the amp to the computer? But be careful, keep the volumes etc down on the amp, you don't wanna bust it or the computer.
Quote by BFun
yeh, u need a +48 thingy. SM57's use phantom power. you either need to buy a mixer with one supplied, an input device or i think u can get an adapter too.

Edit: for example, my Toneport UX2 has two microphone inputs with a button saying "+48" next to it. That button supplies power to the mic.

Ah, I see. Is there any adapter or anything that you could recommend? I really don't have any idea what I'm doing
Quote by skagitup
Ah, I see. Is there any adapter or anything that you could recommend? I really don't have any idea what I'm doing

sorry, i have no clue what to buy. My Toneport UX2 cost around $200 US, there IS a cheaper alternative, the UX1, but again, probably too pricey for just pluggin into your computer. If youre gunna use it for recording, go for one of those or another type of input, because using a 3.5 jack will kinda kill the sound anyway.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
sorry, i have no clue what to buy. My Toneport UX2 cost around $200 US, there IS a cheaper alternative, the UX1, but again, probably too pricey for just pluggin into your computer. If youre gunna use it for recording, go for one of those or another type of input, because using a 3.5 jack will kinda kill the sound anyway.

I think I might buy the Toneport UX2, it looks like it has just about everything, and I'm sure that i'll probably end up using it for something else in the future anyway... £120.. I think I can deal with that.

I'll have a look around to see what else is about though, but cheers for the help man you really saved me alot of trouble
no problem man
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band