I know that there is often confusion when it comes to valve amps, that some people assume that they sound crap unless they're turned all the way up.

I know they don't necessarily sound bad when at low volumes, but I've heard they don't really sound that special either.

For bedroom practice at the moment I use my 30 watt valve amp on JUST below 1. I was just curious as to whether a smaller valve amp (5 watts most likely) would sound better at bedroom volumes than the 30 watt valve as it's being pushed harder.

Would I achieve better tone if I just saved the 30 watter for gigs but then used a 5 watt valve at bedroom volumes? I just sometimes feel I'm not using my amp to it's full potential in the slightest.
the fender blues jr. is 15w but its still very loud, and then theres the epi valve junior which is 5w, they are both very good amps
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
I had the same with my JCM 800 halfstack I don't use full at home, though I do at gigs and practises etc. So i bought an attenuator, the Weber Mass. It is a nice little device that lets your amp go nuts on a higher volume so you can get a nice cranked tube sound, but what it does it reduces the sound from your amp to your speaker or cabinet, whatever. Tight sound at lower volume.

Check http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
well unless some electronics person will correct me a 30w amplifier will force more power through the tubes at lower volumes meaning it will distort easier than a 15w however i play in a flat with a 15w ac15 all tube amp and it still sounds so much better than my old 15w cube which to be fair is a good solid state. So personally i have never found that a solid state can compete with an all tube.
I'm using an OD pedal to tighten up my sound a bit at low volumes. Much much cheaper than an attenuator.
(>^-^)>
WTLTL 2011
yeah attenuators are expensive, usually for a 100watter or more not for a 30w amp, it'd cost that much!
Well an attenuator seems a bit too expensive to be used only for bedroom practice.

I just either want to keep using my amp at bedroom levels, or if I'm able to get better tones at bedroom levels from a lower watt valve I'll go for that.

I had the Harley Benton GA5 in mind as it's the same as a Epi VJ with the added versatility of a tone knob. As you can see in my sig, I already have an array of pedals so I'll be able to get the tones I want.

Would getting such an amp be worthwhile? Or is my Laney LC30 STILL going to sound better than it even when turned down pretty much as low as possible?
I was actually palnning on doing that myself, overdriven my amps drive volume is on actually 0. And it deffinately doesn't sound its best, it needs to be pushed abit harder, not cranked but just louder to get it to fill up more.
^yeah exactly. At my last school concert I got the chance to crank up my amp it was just purely audiogasmic. Obviously when turned lower my amp doesn't sound bad, but I just KNOW it's not reaching it's full potential.

I also have a pretty much lowest end possible squier starter amp and at bedroom volumes, the Laney LC30 does sound better, but not an extra £250 or better.
Well attenuators are the best solution in my opinion. Weber got 25 and 15 watt attenuators, they must be exactly for your purpose. That it might be too expensive is another matter, they aren't even that expensive.
Quote by matt bickerton
Well an attenuator seems a bit too expensive to be used only for bedroom practice.

I just either want to keep using my amp at bedroom levels, or if I'm able to get better tones at bedroom levels from a lower watt valve I'll go for that.

I had the Harley Benton GA5 in mind as it's the same as a Epi VJ with the added versatility of a tone knob. As you can see in my sig, I already have an array of pedals so I'll be able to get the tones I want.

Would getting such an amp be worthwhile? Or is my Laney LC30 STILL going to sound better than it even when turned down pretty much as low as possible?

I haven't played the Harley Benton GA5, but part of the fun of the Epi is the freadom you get from no tone knob. It's all about how you play, as to how the sound comes out.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
If I am correct about your bedroom volume setting (barely a whisper) your best option may be to check out a Peavey Valveking Royal 8. 5 watt, all tube, 8" speaker, master volume and a headphone jack, $200 USD. Try it with the headphones and see if it sounds acceptable.
No offence but VK = =(

If I was to get an attenuator how would I work it, I assume id have to get another speaker cable and that would be cool?
That Peavey Valveking Royal 8 sounds right up my street. I play fairly modern stuff and it seems to be aimed at that.

I've just read some good reviews on harmony-central, is it really that good?

I'll rarely (if ever) use it's distortion as I have my own pedals for that so would the Royal 8 + all my pedals (in my sig), give me the good bedroom tone I desire?

Also, does it have a jack for an extension cabinet/would there be any way I'd be able to hook it up to my Laney LC30's speaker instead?
yep, probably better tone, but be advised that a lot of the low wattage amps are very vintage in tonality. if you're after a more modern tone, you might actually do worse with a low-watter (unless you're willing to fork out some cash)... EDIT: the royal 8 didn't sound particularly modern to me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I suppose I can just buy it from thomann.de and send it back if I really don't like it
wembley guitar centre are peavey dealers... maybe you could try one. one of the shops in denmark street had some peaveys last time i was there too. EDIT: i don't know if the royal 8 i tried was faulty or not, but the master volume didn't seem to do anything much at all... you still had to crank it to get much dirt...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
on my vox, it has this noob thing on the back that you can decrease the watts with, if i have it full blast (when it sounds the best) at the 30 watts it way to loud, so i just turned it to 15 watts and crank it, it perfect sound is amazing,
well depending on what you play, you can use a Cube 60 Watt amp with a 12" speaker and not put the volume up much and still get nice sounds out of it, or you can get a small tube amp, which would easily get loud enough even at the 15 watt range , but you'll need an EQ to tweak your sound to get what your looking for , you can always use a distortion pedal such as the EH Metal Muff to get an overdrive sound if thats what you looking for, you just don't put distortion nob very high and you have overdrive type sound least from my experiences, you can have all the best effects in the world and still not sound good unless you have the right sort of amp for what you love to do

its up to you
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep, probably better tone, but be advised that a lot of the low wattage amps are very vintage in tonality. if you're after a more modern tone, you might actually do worse with a low-watter (unless you're willing to fork out some cash)... EDIT: the royal 8 didn't sound particularly modern to me.

but just to clarify, at bedroom levels I'll get better tone from the Peavey than from the Laney?

The Laney itself to be honest is a tad too vintage for me, I only EVER use it's clean channel with the bright switch left on and I just rely on my pedals to achieve the tones I want.

With my array of pedals, will this be achievable with the Peavey too?
i don't see why you couldn't use pedals with the peavey, but if your laney is too vintage for you, i don't see how the royal 8 will solve that problem, it's much more vintage sounding. to be honest if you're after a more modern tone you don't necessarily need the amp to be cranked anyway. granted it'll generally sound better loud, but a modern tone is more (generally speaking) in the voicing and the preamp, than in the amp being up loud.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by matt bickerton
I was just curious as to whether a smaller valve amp (5 watts most likely) would sound better at bedroom volumes than the 30 watt valve as it's being pushed harder.

Would I achieve better tone if I just saved the 30 watter for gigs but then used a 5 watt valve at bedroom volumes?

Do it, man.
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
you could try the tiny terror
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!